Model Cars Magazine Forum

Mustang Upgrade

"Uuuuugggghhhhhh.... it's not fastback with Torq-Thrusts! Uuuuuggggghhhhhh... those wheels! Uuuuuggggghhhhhh.... that BLAH_BLAH_BLAH_BLAH is for rice rockets. Uuuuggggghhhhh... why can't it still be the '60's. Uuuuuuggggghhhhhh..... I forgot to pick up my Geritol and Delcolax when I was at Walgreen's AND NOW I'M IRRITABLE AND I HATE EVERYTHING MODERN!!!!!1!!!! And while I'm glad you're wearing your hat the right way, LEARN TO ROLL THE FRIGGIN' BILL!!!!"

On a more serious note, yeah, the graphics are a bit much, but I'm guessing that's the whole idea. 

It is just repopped sheet metal. No original mustang body was injured in building his car. He is a good rally driver and probably the best drift driver around. I find the graphics ok and not offensive. At least he is showing his pride in America.

But I geuss you would have to be a fan of what he does to understand it. I'm 46 years old and I like it.

Here's what the car did with "only" 845 horses. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4oCoEISp2FI

Yes, it's garish, but it's a racecar. Most racecars do have loud and obnoxious graphics. And in this case, if you strip the graphics away, you're left with a tube frame all wheel drive car designed for going insanely fast in both straight lines and around corners. And he is a crazy good driver. Both in drift racing and rallycross.

As for the graphics, Ken Block's fanbase are mainly guys who bought this:

starter-pack-meme-007-douche-bag.jpg

Around here, the typical Ken Block fan is what's known as a "bro."

They drive lifted trucks that never go off road (AKA the bro-dozer), still wear acid washed jeans, wear white framed shades and Affliction tee shirts. Picture that MTV show, the Jersey Shore, but stick them in an oil based economy.

Those are the Ken Block fans and are the ones who that graphics scheme is aimed at. Well, those guys and junior high school kids. 

NASCAR cars aren't exactly pretty, and top fuel funnys and dragsters aren't in the Museum of Modern Art either. Everything for it's given purpose, and that Mustang's is to be partially obscured by clouds of tire smoke for entire videos.

Well, maybe not funny cars, but...

649.jpg

Aesthetically, it right up there with those gawd-forsaken Eleanor Mustangs (there, I said it.  Hate away).  Purposefully, that thing is a scalpel-combined with a mallet.  It does what it was made to do and does it very well.  And in the flashiest/loudest manner possible.