Forum will be Offline for Server Maintenance ×
Model Cars Magazine Forum

1970 Ford Custom 500 - Dirty Harry's car

Daryl Curtis

Here is my Hobby Heaven 1/25th scale Custom 500. I was inspired by the film "Magnum Force" and wanted to build a 1970's police inspector's car like Harry Callahan's. I decided to paint the car a Ford Medium Brown Metallic, a correct color for that model and year. The paint is actual auto paint - a two part finish with a color base and a clear coat. I did not like the dog dish hubcaps that came with the car, so ordered a set of aluminum hub caps from Park's Parts. I detailed the interior and dash, using authentic gauge images supplied by Best Model, along with the correct license plates for that period. I added a strobe light, courtesy of the Starsky and Hutch kit, and ordered a pico LED from Police Models. I also wired the engine to make it more realistic. The engine supplied with the kit is not the correct one, but used it anyway. The air cleaner came from another kit.

DSCN7055.JPG

DSCN7056.JPG

DSCN7061.JPG

DSCN7060.JPG

DSCN7059.JPG

DSCN7068.JPG

DSCN7067.JPG

DSCN7005.JPG

DSCN7063.JPG

DSCN7064.JPG

DSCN7066.JPG

DSCN7065.JPG

That's looking very good. These 4 Door cars are nice to see as models, even though I always prefer 2D models in 1:1 scale. Very nice work on this a bit simplified kit! Everything seems to be just right, the overall look is spot on and I like your added detailing too. Nice work.

• 2 weeks later...

That's looking very good. These 4 Door cars are nice to see as models, even though I always prefer 2D models in 1:1 scale. Very nice work on this a bit simplified kit! Everything seems to be just right, the overall look is spot on and I like your added detailing too. Nice work.

Back in the 70's and 80's I liked the big four door sedans because they usually had the large V-8's and were nearly invisible to the cops as if not too shabby or trashed-out. ;)

David G.