Model Cars Magazine Forum

29 roadster with a twist, trim?

exesivefire

thanks again for the kind words.

I almost don't want to admit the amount of time I have spent on this rear end. I have had this center section in the parts box for a while now and decided it was time to use it. It was rough to start so that didn't help things but I can say I am happy with it now. There is a 1/8th inch aluminum tube in there, some styrene tube tapered and blended to that and some link mounts cut and layered from .015 sheet. I'll have to decide what to do about the rear cover, part of me wishes I knew where this came from so I could source it. It was all chrome to start so I kind of think its from one of those parts packs maybe? Either way I am moving forward.. A little over a month left!

Love those 3-link hangars! Layering is definitely a better strategy than filing notches into solid blocks like I've attempted in the past.

The quick-change rearend center section could have come from any number of kits, but a few that come to mind are:

-Double Dragster

-Double T

-Orange Crate

-Paddy Wagon (but that one would probably be gold-plated and black plastic underneath)

These kits all have differing lengths of torque tube attached to the rearend, so knowing the length could help determine what kit it came from.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Great looking build. I'm a fan of the roadster pickup, and this phantom is really looking good. On another note, I believe your quick change center is from the AMT/Round2 dirt modified kits, like the '40 Ford, '37 Plymouth, Gremlin, etc. They're based on a '70s Tobias modified. That center section was chrome with plain unplated axle housings, the axle housings were Frankland/Winters style.

• 3 weeks later...