Forum will be Offline for Server Maintenance ×
Model Cars Magazine Forum

CANNONBALL 2017

Jantrix

Body panels have been added, but unfortunately there was some shrinkage. The fit is really good for the most part and the shrinkage isnt hard to overcome. I've already fixed the rockers, but the front spliter is still yet to be filled in. I split the shrunken parts and then have/will fill in the gaps with some super glue and some of the left over resin sprue from the kit itself. Hoping to get the rest fixed up today and a first test coat of primer on it tonight.The hood has shrunk too, but a thin strip of styrene around the outer edge should fix that up np.

Thanks for looking, more to follow.

If you've never tried auto body glazing putty to fill in gaps like this I recommend it.  You can get it at most auto parts stores and probably walmart.  It's comes in a tube like a big tooth paste tube.  I find it VERY easy to work with, control and finish.  MUCH easier than filling with superglue because it doesn't shrink as it sets.  For a gap like you have in the splitter it would be perfect.  Hope this helps.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Racers.

It is with regret that I'm going to have to pull out of this years race. Furthermore, after the end of this month I'm not going to be able to moderate the build or the race thread so I'm looking for someone to take over both. I'd like it do be one of our regulars who are reliable and proven. Our track record with new participants running the show hasn't been good.

The reason for this is that as some of you know, I've recently relocated to the Boise, Idaho area. Originally my wife and I had planned for two years in our current rental, but the perfect property has recently just dropped in our laps. Great location, good price. It's a ten acre spread in a canyon about 50 minutes from work. It's got good bones, but the whole property/house/barn needs a lot of cleaning up, and has no cell service. We're moving on Oct. 1 and have no plans to add satellite or wifi until after the new year to limit our distractions from the work that needs doing. This little farm has been my wife's dream for years and I'm gonna bust my @$$ to make sure it happens. I know you guys understand.

Edited by Jantrix

Okay guys. Mike (Lunajammer) has agreed to be the new grand poobah for this years Cannonball. He's helped me out before, running the race polls at the end, and he's a heck of a builder.

I appreciate the support from you guys. This has been a great change for my family, leaving the big city behind. Everything about our lives has improved. My wife has been talking about a hobby farm for the last ten years and I'm finally in a position to make it happen. I'll check in here occasionally at lunch from work. Be cool.

• 2 weeks later...

Rob, I wish you every success in your new project. May it be an easy move and may the projects ahead of you lead to a happy home and a long and happy life in it! Hope to see you after the first of the year with pictures of your new home! Should you decide to build a man cave garage for your future builds, you might check out Garage Journal's forums on that subject! But anyway, may God bless you and keep you and your new home!

I made glacial progress on my project, but any progress is progress, right? I've got the body ready and was stuck for a long time on an interior that would suit such a cross country endeavor. I finally found the radio equipment out of some old police car models and a couple of the laptops from the Expedition Police edition. I think that will give me what I need.

Rob, I wish you every success in your new project. May it be an easy move and may the projects ahead of you lead to a happy home and a long and happy life in it! Hope to see you after the first of the year with pictures of your new home! Should you decide to build a man cave garage for your future builds, you might check out Garage Journal's forums on that subject! But anyway, may God bless you and keep you and your new home!

Thanks Gary. Unfortunately the new place does not have a garage. I have plans to build a carport though. As for the mancave, I'm going to have a hobby room. With the kids moving out over this month and next, it's just the wife and I again (finally). The house is a small 3/2 about 1100 sq. feet, but it's perfect for us. I'll post up photos in next years thread.

Speaking of next year. I will be able to moderate next years run. Participation is possible, but I'll play that by ear. 

As for next years theme, I will start a new thread in the Community Project section next month and we'll bat it around. Lets not clog up this thread with that now. I'd like everyone to come up with just TWO theme ideas. Whichever ones seem most popular, we'll take vote on. I can handle this, as I can check on it during lunch breaks at work.

No major rule changes, but one rule from this year I plan to carry over is the inclusion of completing a previously unfinished Cannonball racer from a previous run, as long as it still fits the theme. That 's likely it from me on this thread. Good luck to everyone and thanks again to Mike (Lunajammer) for seeing this through for us.

As for next years theme, I will start a new thread in the Community Project section next month and we'll bat it around. Lets not clog up this thread with that now. 

This is probably a good opportunity to remind everyone that there are 8-weeks left till we ring the time bell on this build session. For those of you, like me, who take summers off, it might be time to head back to the bench. Still welcoming newcomers who can get 'er done in two months. 

Racers.

It is with regret that I'm going to have to pull out of this years race. Furthermore, after the end of this month I'm not going to be able to moderate the build or the race thread so I'm looking for someone to take over both. I'd like it do be one of our regulars who are reliable and proven. Our track record with new participants running the show hasn't been good.

The reason for this is that as some of you know, I've recently relocated to the Boise, Idaho area. Originally my wife and I had planned for two years in our current rental, but the perfect property has recently just dropped in our laps. Great location, good price. It's a ten acre spread in a canyon about 50 minutes from work. It's got good bones, but the whole property/house/barn needs a lot of cleaning up, and has no cell service. We're moving on Oct. 1 and have no plans to add satellite or wifi until after the new year to limit our distractions from the work that needs doing. This little farm has been my wife's dream for years and I'm gonna bust my @$$ to make sure it happens. I know you guys understand.

It's gonna be barren without you here, Rob, but your venture sounds like quite an adventure! Best of luck and look forward to seeing you back next year.

well , l guess I should get back at it then...

kinda takes the wind out of it when the 10th anniversary, wont be contributed to, by the start up guy tho,....

Hope all goes well with the move Rob

All the best 

It's gonna be barren without you here, Rob, but your venture sounds like quite an adventure! Best of luck and look forward to seeing you back next year.

Guys thanks very much for understanding. I'm just as sorry as you are to not be involved. We'd never planned on buying this soon. It just sort of dropped in our laps and was too good to pass up. We've been cleaning up for two days now. Here's some pics. I have five acres on one side of the trees/creek and five on the other. Lots of renovation inside the house this winter and then a outside full repaint with window replacement in the spring. 

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

I've been quiet but my V-10 Dodge 330 is practically finished. Still a few more things to install and I'm calling it done. I don't have many progress pics and none tonight due to them being on my phone. I would've posted them earlier but the photobucket fiasco screwed with me. 

Guys thanks very much for understanding. I'm just as sorry as you are to not be involved. We'd never planned on buying this soon. It just sort of dropped in our laps and was too good to pass up. We've been cleaning up for two days now. Here's some pics. I have five acres on one side of the trees/creek and five on the other. Lots of renovation inside the house this winter and then a outside full repaint with window replacement in the spring. 

1.jpg

Dude. That property looks fantastic!

Wow, now that's a hot rod. Glad you got the pics figured out, I'd hated to have missed the cool stuff. Gonna have treads?

First of all thanks Mike! Unfortunately those slicks are all that I have that fit those wheels and backs. I know that they aren't technically road legal but i'm gonna call them DOT approved Cheater slicks. They are it's highway tires.  lol.  However, I do have a file of rain tires that I can 3d print to have with the car on a support truck or something. I've got a few ideas for a truck for support. Thinking a 99 F-150 with a modded 4.6 or a 99 Silverado with a little pep on the 5.3. The support truck probably won't be an actual entry, just used for support for this year and years to follow. Whether or not it gets finished is anybody's guess lol.

Edited by wrecker388