Model Cars Magazine Forum

1978 Dodge Monaco Gotham City PD (Photos Restored)

David G.

AMT's 1978 Dodge Monaco was, I believe, first issued as Sheriff Roscoe's Patrol Car inspired by the Dukes of Hazzard TV series. Since then, it has been released a number of different times in different liveries. This version is a representation of a Gotham City Police Cruiser\Joker's Goon Car from the 1989 Batman Movie. I don't recall that there were any 1978 Dodge Monaco's used in the movie as either Goon Cars or Police Cruisers, but it's been a few years since I've seen the movie. Besides, it's representation and it's the concept that counts.

GCPD_06_12.jpg.4fc4effb623eee1d60dcf5eb43b2ca59.jpg

The tail lights were cast in transparent red, but the real cars had amber and white lenses in theirs. To achieve this effect, I covered the red lenses with Bare Metal Foil and painted them with red, amber and white.

GCPD_07_12.jpg.39f2d93bea0d8150546f26750698c68b.jpg

Front View... those tires are waaay too wide! I had to make some minor modifications to get them to fit under the fenders.

GCPD_08_12.jpg.e6ca3316b8be39f11477a880f02eaac0.jpg

I know that the side view mirrors are not correct for this car, but they're the ones that came in the kit.

GCPD_10_12.jpg.574fdb498162a81ee2295281b6236828.jpg

Cover Shot!

GCPD_11_12.jpg.cc5e92b0e359255008dcbc95e136b547.jpg

For those who are interested, the build progress is in the On The Workbench section.

As always, thanks for looking and please feel free to comment.

David G.

Edited by David G.
Photos Restored

Nice!

Thanks Tom.

Excellent build !!!

Marty, Thank you.

Great job

Thank you Oscar.

I like it!  That Monaco is not a bad kit other than the too wide tires.

Thanks Bruce, I thought about replacing them, but I figured that it really wasn't going to be that noticable on the inside of my display case.

Nice work detailing the lights and grille. 

Thanks Peter, I'm glad you like them.

David G.

Nice build! I usually cut the lip off the AMT wheel, cut a ring out, then replace the lip. Put it on one of the old Monogram tires we all have a million of, fits perfect, and looks better. That and the chassis gap you fixed are my biggest pet peeves with the kit. The Monaco looks best in black and white, and you nailed it...

Jeff

Good job, David! 

Thanks Danno.

Very nicely done, David!!!  I love the way it turned out so I may have to give mine a shot sometime!!!  Great finished build!!!????????

Thanks Greg. Which version do you have? I think there are probably three different ones.

Looks great. I always would get nervous when  I would see one of these cars in my rearview mirror.  

Thanks David. I was always OK as long as the lights didn't start flashing.

Nicely done ...!    Love to see old police vehicles...!

Thanks Dave, I'm glad you like it. Hey, I used to live in Akron- near the Grant St and Wolf Ledges area.

Even though they were a bit big, those wheels and tyres do look good.

Makes it look very burly.

great job all round

Thanks Guy. Yeah, that's one reason why I didn't "fix" them. Another was that I could easily cite the fact that it's a representation of a fictional vehicle from a Batman movie. That, and I didn't feel like doing that much work on this one.

Nice build! I usually cut the lip off the AMT wheel, cut a ring out, then replace the lip. Put it on one of the old Monogram tires we all have a million of, fits perfect, and looks better. That and the chassis gap you fixed are my biggest pet peeves with the kit. The Monaco looks best in black and white, and you nailed it...

Jeff

Thank you Jeff. I did consider correcting that issue on this kit, but given the subject it wasn't that critical in my mind. Though they do make great looking cop cars, I plan on building one of these as a daily driver and I'll keep your tip in mind for that one. Thanks for sharing it. 

This is an excellent piece of work....Very nice....Great execution....Nice and clean....What more can I say? 

Thank you JT, I'm glad you like it.

Looks very good

Thanks Jonathan.

David G.

I always enjoy a good cop car build. And just like a flame paint job makes a car go faster, GCPD livery makes it totally bad to the bone.

Has anybody ever pointed out that Gotham City license plates should not exist? It's a city, not a state.

I'll check my local DMV to see if I can get Las Vegas City plates :D

Excellent execution David.

I always enjoy a good cop car build. And just like a flame paint job makes a car go faster, GCPD livery makes it totally bad to the bone.

Has anybody ever pointed out that Gotham City license plates should not exist? It's a city, not a state.

I'll check my local DMV to see if I can get Las Vegas City plates :D

Excellent execution David.

Thanks Joe, I'm beginning to develop more of a like for cop cars and other service/professional vehicles. I also have a hearse that I'm working on I'm thinking of building my 53 Hudson Hornet as a Fire Chief or Fire Marshall vehicle.

Good point on the Gotham City plate. I suppose that it could be argued that it's a city government plate. Like Bob Ross says, "It's your world, you can make it any way you want to." :) 

Thanks again Joe, I do appreciate your comments.

David G.

Looks awesome and nice to see one like the box art for a change.

I don't recall that there were any 1978 Dodge Monaco's used in the movie as either Goon Cars or Police Cruisers,

Correct. because it was filmed in England, they used Spanish Dodges and Chevy Novas.

I like it!  That Monaco is not a bad kit other than the too wide tires.

too wide RACING ONLY tires... hehe.

• 3 months later...
  • David G. changed the title to 1978 Dodge Monaco Gotham City PD (Photos Restored)