Model Cars Magazine Forum

What percentage of models do you think actually get completed?

I have often wondered what percentage of models people buy actually get completed all the way through.

From what I read and my personal experience, most serious modelers also have quite a collection of unbuilt models in their stash, often a stash that would take years to properly complete.

I would also expect that casual modelers who just buy a model on a whim may not be likely to complete it once they open the box and realize how much work a non-painted, non-snap kit is going to take to get completed. Its a lot easier to buy a die-cast completed model in these cases. 

Overall, my guess would be about 15% of models sold actually get completed.

What do you think?

Not a lot.

When I was a twerp kid, my "completion" rate was 100%. One kit, one kill.

Years later, when I'd progressed to the point where my models didn't look like they were built by a drunk chimp, my completion rate dropped to almost zero. ;)

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

Not a lot.

When I was a twerp kid, my "completion" rate was 100%. One kit, one kill.

Years later, when I'd progressed to the point where my models didn't look like they were built by a drunk chimp, my completion rate dropped to almost zero. ;)

Well, you just saved me a bunch of typing. :D

I got back into this hobby after wearing my body out by doing stuff on dirt bikes and going through a bunch of race cars  and building several trailers from scratch. Pretty bad back, which actually keeps me from building sometimes. The ones in my stash are all I'll buy (fixed income) and some may never be finished. Depends on how much time there is. As for percentage, I'm at 12 finished, 10 in various stages of completion and 59 unbuilt. I guess that's 12 out of 81 total or about 15% so far.

There was a time when I would have two or three builds going at once and it seamed like very little ever got completed.  Now I stay with a build all the way thru and that seems to work better for me. I did have a '57 Chevy Step Side that would not cooperate and it went back into the box twice over a two year period. With some help and suggestions from others here I was able to get the "Glass" to fit and I was able to put it in this years Class of '16.  

I know. He was using the word "awesome" as a reply to describe how quickly you build. And for lack of better terms, he used the word awesome even though he doesn't like saying. But also over-complicated the reply explaining why. 

If that makes sense.

I know. He was using the word "awesome" as a reply to describe how quickly you build. And for lack of better terms, he used the word awesome even though he doesn't like saying. But also over-complicated the reply explaining why. 

If that makes sense.

You got me. B)

Crazyjim, I am amazed and impressed at your production rate, especially compared to my own, which is sad and pathetic. Is that better? B)

I finish on average about 1 build a year, but I don't have a lot of kits stashed away, so I'd venture a guess at about 30% done. This makes me feel like a prolific builder!  :o:lol:

This is me on how quick.............er ............slow I build. It takes me about 9-10 months per kit unless I go totally out of box. Then it's around the 2-4 month marker. I've got a lot of kits though so that's where we differ. I haven't counted but I'm pretty sure I'm looking at about 50-60 kits. As for a percentage I'm looking at about a 3% or so. :mellow:

Edited by mustang1989

..........well, let's look at the bright side,,,,shall we,......we all know that just about ANY car model kit, brand new boxed can be got with a bit of patience and a fist full of cash.....my point...if most all were built or destroyed even grabbing up 6-10-15 year old kit's could be a problem.....I'll bet  less than 20 per cent get completed, and maybe 30 per cent get started....just my opinion.....the Ace....:)

Takes me forever to finish one. Between work, family, coaching the boy's soccer team, playing volleyball, playing in a band, and camping/hiking; my modelling time is not as much as I would like. Considering I'll finish maybe 5-10 kits this year, from a stash of around 100 kits...maybe a 10% completion rate at best. I'll probably never finish all of these. But I want to.