Model Cars Magazine Forum

Revell Reissued 57 Chevy Black Widow wrong body ?

kingiguana

Makes sense they would have the Bel Air body...wasn't the 150 2dr sedan out first, then the Bel Air 2dr sedan?   That may have been a retool and the only '57 Bel Air 2dr sedan body that exists now..would have to change the body tool to go back to the 150?  Just speculating...

The 150 came out in 2009, I'm almost positive the Bel Air came out before that considering it's kit 1912 vs. 4240 for the 150.

The Black Widow was indeed released in 2009. The Bel-Air post coupe was released either later in 2009 or in 2010, but the 150 was first.

Charlie Larkin

Perhaps the '57 Bel Air Sedan bodyside mold pieces were installed instead of the 150-specific pieces. Both share the same Sedan roof height, and I can't think of any other changes between the two bodies which couldn't be accomplished by changing the bodyside inserts. :unsure:

You would, however, think that the production managers would do a test run to check stuff prior to simply producing?

Mistakes happen, this was poor planning.

Charlie Larkin

You would, however, think that the production managers would do a test run to check stuff prior to simply producing?

Hard to say what actually happened. Maybe the mold was set up for a test shots, then removed, an later installed with the incorrect slides when production commenced. Yes, someone on the production end in China should have noticed the body was incorrect, but there aren't the number of people who can instantly recognize the trim differences between a 150 and Bel Air is getting smaller every day. Now, that's no excuse with the instant communication options we have available these days, but people still make mistakes.

I can see the eBay headlines already...."RARE! RECALLED REVELL '57 CHEVY 150 BLACK WIDOW KIT" :D

Out of curiosity, does the 150/Black Widow interior even fit the Bel Air sedan body?

Yes they will interchange with no problems. Funny I was in the model shop today and they had one of these kits. From the looks of the box art it is a straight reissue with new box art. They were sending it back to their supplier for a credit. They offered it to me at a price that I felt was very good so I bought it. I don't often build Box Stock or Showroom Stock, so this gave me the chassis for a Resin Sedan Delivery project, and I've got the Fuel Injection set up which I like, and all the other bits and pieces. I'll find something to do with the Bel Air body later.   

Well, it is confirmed. I spoke with my wholesaler this morning, and told him to check. He did, and sure enough, two of them had the wrong body. When/if I get more information about this and how Revell is handling it, I'll let you know.

In the meantime, if you got an affected kit, I'd suggest contacting Revell to see if they'll either supply a replacement body or what other disposition they would like you to make of the product in question.

Charlie Larkin

Makes sense that if the Bel Air came after the 150, and that was the last way the body tooling was run in 2010, AND they changed vendors it might not have been known that the wrong body sides were still in the tool.

Now who got the advanced run of the kit Stateside, and didn't bother to inspect to make sure it was correct...that's another story. I mean the reissue was late as it was - since it was a 4Q release and didn't come out until January. That extra (at least) 30 days should have been used for better things.

I have both and yeah, I can see where different slides could be used to differentiate the two. Actually, I bought the Bel Air for a possible '57 Nomad kitbash with their '56. I've no idea why that one gets ignored.........It's just as popular as the '56 if not more so, and no, Revell's long ago tooled '57 Nomad just ain't it! :blink:

Geez Bill, I've got one for that and a bash with the 57 snap HT. The Nomad roof/chassis gets the 57 body bits, and the Belair sedan CW chassis goes under the snap HT.

I wonder if all the $ spent fixing this will be less $ than a round trip ticket and a weeks lodging in China?

Edited by keyser

Espo, any chance you might want to get rid of that Black Widow incorrect body? I had an "accident" with the freshly painted body on my original. Best baint job I have done and on the way back into the house, must have squeezed the coat hanger just a bit too much and down to the ground it went. And since i was walking you can pretty much gess the next sound!! No, not that one, that came after the "CRUNCH" before I could stop!

Steven

You would think that as the boxes came down the line to be filled that the second or third person in the line would notice that the body they were stuffing in the box didn't match up with the picture of the built kit on the instructions that were the first thing that was placed in the box......as for the 150 interior fitting in a Bel-Air, my first car was a '56 Bel-Air sedan and I swapped in the door and rear quarter interior panels from a friends '57 150 that was being parted out, now I need a set of interior panels and decals for a 150 so I can build a model of my '56, I've got almost all the parts rounded up, I just need the interior parts and a set of fenderwell exit headers that look like a set of small block Cyclone headers, I lucked out and a member donated a set of decals that actually had a Cyclone Headers decal. That was the only decal I had on the real car, and Scale Finishes just sent me an email to their new website and one of the paints they have in the clearance section is a bottle of the one year only 1969 Plymouth code F-6 bright green metallic I painted my car in. I've already got everything to build the stock version before the hot rodding was added, 265 cast iron powerglide, dusk rose and ivory white with black and white interior, and black steelies with stock hubcaps and little whitewalls. It went from that to a stripped down version with a 287 cubic inch 1957 Corvette engine with an Isky cam and kit, T-10 four speed, no front bumper or grille, and no back seat, and 5 mpg on the highway, sure lucky that 100+ octane premium gas was only 25¢ a gallon back then, and even that cheap we didn't cruise much, two or three laps around the cruise in second gear so it wouldn't foul plugs would burn through $2 worth of gas really quick, and it only had a single Holley four barrel on an Edelbrock C-3B intake.

Edited by horsepower

You would think that as the boxes came down the line to be filled that the second or third person in the line would notice that the body they were stuffing in the box didn't match up with the picture of the built kit on the instructions that were the first thing that was placed in the box......

I'd wager that you couldn't find a person in that factory that has ever seen a picture of a '57 Chevy, let alone an actual one...

I have both and yeah, I can see where different slides could be used to differentiate the two. Actually, I bought the Bel Air for a possible '57 Nomad kitbash with their '56. I've no idea why that one gets ignored.........It's just as popular as the '56 if not more so, and no, Revell's long ago tooled '57 Nomad just ain't it! :blink:

Bill, I built a '57 Nomad using the '56 and a '57 convertible. You're right, Revell really needs to give us a '57 Nomad. And no, I'm not posting a picture of the Nomad. It's done and on the shelf but I did some terrible bodywork on the fins. So it's For My Eyes Only. ?

FWIW, it's sitting next to the olde tool '57 Nomad I built a few years ago so it doesn't look that bad in comparison to that.?

I'd wager that you couldn't find a person in that factory that has ever seen a picture of a '57 Chevy, let alone an actual one...

True, but if you were putting components to an item and you were putting them on top of a picture of what you were building couldn't you tell the difference?

Bill, I built a '57 Nomad using the '56 and a '57 convertible. You're right, Revell really needs to give us a '57 Nomad. And no, I'm not posting a picture of the Nomad. It's done and on the shelf but I did some terrible bodywork on the fins. So it's For My Eyes Only. ?

FWIW, it's sitting next to the olde tool '57 Nomad I built a few years ago so it doesn't look that bad in comparison to that.?

I bought the sedan kit before the convertible came out, and that's a good thought! Much easier to work with the open car, than having the extra work in sawing off the roof. I have the convertible and I'd hate to cut that one up, so either I can find a junker body, or simply buy another whole kit.  As I mentioned however, the moment I get deep into building one, Revell will announce they're making a '57! :blink:

Edited by MrObsessive

I bought the sedan kit before the convertible came out, and that's a good thought! Much easier to work with the open car, than having the extra work in sawing off the roof. I have the convertible and I'd hate to cut that one up, so either I can find a junker body, or simply buy another whole kit.  As I mentioned however, the moment I get deep into building one, Revell will announce they're making a '57! :blink:

Cool, I just remembered I have a warped convertible body somewhere. I never look at easy way to do stuff, Thank god I'm slow and slothful, the kit will be out long before I get underway. 

• 2 months later...

Bump. Picked up the new Black Widow kit today at my LHS and it did in fact come with the wrong body. 

Just the early RPP shipment made it to store shelves.  They were recalled and the stores were supposed to send them back. Revell hasn't sent out the corrected kits yet. 

Just the early RPP shipment made it to store shelves.  They were recalled and the stores were supposed to send them back. Revell hasn't sent out the corrected kits yet. 

Model Roundup just got in their shipment. I got mine at Brookhurst Hobbies and they were unaware of this issue. 

True, but if you were putting components to an item and you were putting them on top of a picture of what you were building couldn't you tell the difference?

People on production lines, especially if they don't know, or care what a '57 Chevy looks like? No, they wouldn't notice. Production lines run quick. No time to pick up or gawk at box art. Not everyone is a car nut, like us.
Just like if the wrong Star Trek Enterprise part came down the line. Not gonna notice.

Model Roundup just got in their shipment. I got mine at Brookhurst Hobbies and they were unaware of this issue. 

We got our corrected kits Monday, I forgot to update the thread.  

People on production lines, especially if they don't know, or care what a '57 Chevy looks like? No, they wouldn't notice. Production lines run quick. No time to pick up or gawk at box art. Not everyone is a car nut, like us.Just like if the wrong Star Trek Enterprise part came down the line. Not gonna notice.

A whole batch of RoG semi trucks got F-14 decals a while back.  It happens. All part of life's rich tapestry...