Forum will be Offline for Server Maintenance ×
Model Cars Magazine Forum

My "ATTEMPT" at doing a M1008 CUCV

Back story: I am currently (and have been for some time) with the 127th Security Forces unit (Michigan Air Guard) located at Selfridge Field in MI. I will usually tend to make a truck (plastic kit or die cast) for retiring members of one of our patrol units, to have for their bookshelf. One cat that I was close with and retired a few years ago called me out because he didn't want a Silverado or Ford super duty. He wanted a M1008! Well, I think everyone here knows that those don't exist in 1/25 scale, sold as a proper kit. I know there is a 1/35 one that costs more than my grocery bill at times, and I have searched for some time for a regular kit. Well, no bueno. So I couldn't pass up the challenge. So I'm going to use the MPC Deserter and 75 snap tite chevy blazer and see where it takes me.IMG_2630.thumb.JPG.e8930d1ca4ca22a08f0dc

IMG_2656.JPG

IMG_2655.JPG

IMG_2654.JPG

Edited by cjanderson

Thanks for the love gang. Got the brake lines, wheels and tires on and engine installed. Was not sure about the  weathering, but in all my years in the service, I don't think I ever came across a clean one. 

IMG_2673.JPG

IMG_2674.JPG

IMG_2675.JPG

IMG_2676.JPG

Edited by cjanderson

Thanks for the love gang. Got the brake lines, wheels and tires on and engine installed. Was not sure about the  weathering, but in all my years in the service, I don't think I ever came across a clean one. 

If you're going for the look of a used one, then it will be really interesting to see how you make the interior looks completely torn up! lolz.

I was considering one of these a few years ago, and was scouring the gov't auction sites. Every one looked fine on the outside, but the insides were just awful. Seats torn up, dash pads ridiculously heat cracked, etc. 

Pretty sure you'll be able to nail the look though, based on what you've posted so far.

Great build so far! Love those trucks. They were released to fire departments as surplus over the years, and were a VERY rugged addition to many departments. I had a commercial version of the same truck........(http://www.modelcarsmag.com/forums/topic/119633-1985-gmc-k3500-pickup/)...........love what you have done so far! They were rugged, basic, versatile trucks.....and a great improvement over the Dodge trucks they replaced...............(LOL)!

Got a little bit more done. Installed the cab and finished engine bay. That's a scaled topo map of Grayling military complex and on the passenger side dash is a decal that's required. It's an air traffic control tower signal decal. This truck in theory would have been used by USAF Security Police.  Hopefully can finish bed and some other details and wrap it up for delivery to intended recipient. 

IMG_2720.JPG

IMG_2721.JPG

IMG_2722.JPG

IMG_2723.JPG

They were, but an in a bit of a time crunch, so went with the Chevy engine that came with kit. I suppose I could toss another battery in there to jazz it up. Might have one lying around. 

Edited by cjanderson

I agree with the other guys, looks great.  Are you going to have it at the Detroit show next weekend or will it already be delivered by then?

Depends if I get the dio done it's supposed to sit on. But good possibility. 

Edited by cjanderson