Model Cars Magazine Forum

What's next from Moebius - How about a 70 F-100 4x4 and a 65-66 F-100

SteveG

I certainly hate to be the bearer of bad news but this forum isn't exactly the center of the universe ;)   Maybe we here on the lunatic fringe get to think so but there's a far wider market out there that responds to kits with attractive box art and subject matter and may not care about the fine details we do. As long as it's a close enough resemblance to create the urge to buy one, that's all the company needs.

mike

2 hours ago, mk11 said:

I certainly hate to be the bearer of bad news but this forum isn't exactly the center of the universe ;)   Maybe we here on the lunatic fringe get to think so but there's a far wider market out there that responds to kits with attractive box art and subject matter and may not care about the fine details we do. As long as it's a close enough resemblance to create the urge to buy one, that's all the company needs.

mike

what lunatic fringe??? we're the dead center of the lunatic universe.........:D

IMO, it wouldn't hurt for Moebius to touch base with us lunatics before pulling the trigger on the final product. What to they have to loose? We would have given  them the heads up on the '69 headlight buckets looks a little too large, the hubcaps on the '69 and '70 F 100 kits are actually F 250 hubcaps, "custom cab" trim level did not exist for '70-'72, steering wheels were 3 spoke '67--'70, 2 spoke '71-'72 and of course 8 lug= F 250. Don't get me wrong, I'm grateful Moebius is offering these long ignored subjects, and will continue to purchase regardless of the box art or subtle inaccuracies.

I'm sure 'good enough' wasn't the primary intent of this expensive project but it's plain that early test shots didn't get into the hands of people familiar with the subject matter. With all the other distractions going on, things got overlooked. What's done is done. Hope the next one hits the goal.

mike 

9 hours ago, mk11 said:

I'm sure 'good enough' wasn't the primary intent of this expensive project but it's plain that early test shots didn't get into the hands of people familiar with the subject matter. With all the other distractions going on, things got overlooked. What's done is done. Hope the next one hits the goal.

mike 

And yet with the International LoneStar and ProStar, they seemed to have got them "right". I don't think they had any truck model experts among them. Maybe it was the access to CAD that made the difference?

Ben

10 hours ago, Bennyg said:

And yet with the International LoneStar and ProStar, they seemed to have got them "right". I don't think they had any truck model experts among them. Maybe it was the access to CAD that made the difference?

Ben

Absolutely!

Everything is done with CAD files now but the output can only be as good as the input. Full factory blueprints on the big trucks made the difference, as Chuck said.

mike

Edited by mk11

• 2 months later...
On 4/26/2018 at 8:25 AM, Bennyg said:

Ben

Ben, with any car or truck subject produced in the CAD era, absolutely.  However, with model car or truck subjects that come from the era before CAD,  scale models have to be done the old-fashioned way--by tons of research, up to and including the real vehicle for a comprehensive photographing and measuring session.  That is a process that requires at least two people, to hold a measuring tape, to position say, a carpenter's folding rule against a surface for getting measurements, even a carpenter's square (or reasonable facsimile thereof) which when held against the side of a car body can be used to show the depth of what is called "tumblehome" (the inward curvature of body panels from the vertical.  Ideally, the prototype subject, while needing to be complete and straight, is a musty, old survivor--for two reasons:  First of all, most owners of highly restored cars or trucks are pretty reluctant to allow measuring tapes to be laid on an expensive paint job, and second, faded, worn paint actually does show more shapes and details in pictures.  The most difficult reference pics to get are ones taken high-angle, as not many cars can carry a 12- stepladder for such images.  

With the Moebius 65-66 Ford F-100's, I assisted on the reference photo shoot and measurements--approximately 1000 pics were taken, dozens of short measurements done to determine such as the length of doors, outside dimensions of cab and bed(s).  All of that was done at a "dealership" in far western Illinois, about 20 miles or so from the Mississippi River, where Dave discovered 7 or 8 unrestored but solid 1965-66 Ford pickups.

Dave and I should be seeing revised test shots (based on our review comments on the first round back in March) any day now.  Can't wait to see them!

Art

On 4/26/2018 at 7:36 PM, mk11 said:

Everything is done with CAD files now but the output can only be as good as the input. Full factory blueprints on the big trucks made the difference, as Chuck said.

mike

Actually, the Lonestar and Prostar tractors, and the Great Dane trailer kits were all done directly from factory CAD files, but even at that, there were niggles seen in the tooling mockups that had to be corrected (and were)   Bear in mind also, that even the process of designing and engineering a model kit has become a province of the Land of CAD--before even a tooling mockup is made (used to be hand-carved, now 3D printed!) CAD files of how the factory proposes to make the model kit are provided for review, critical comments, and ultimately approval to start tooling--the first step of that being finalized CAD files.

Art

1 hour ago, Art Anderson said:

Ben, with any car or truck subject produced in the CAD era, absolutely.  However, with model car or truck subjects that come from the era before CAD,  scale models have to be done the old-fashioned way--by tons of research, up to and including the real vehicle for a comprehensive photographing and measuring session.  That is a process that requires at least two people, to hold a measuring tape, to position say, a carpenter's folding rule against a surface for getting measurements, even a carpenter's square (or reasonable facsimile thereof) which when held against the side of a car body can be used to show the depth of what is called "tumblehome" (the inward curvature of body panels from the vertical.  Ideally, the prototype subject, while needing to be complete and straight, is a musty, old survivor--for two reasons:  First of all, most owners of highly restored cars or trucks are pretty reluctant to allow measuring tapes to be laid on an expensive paint job, and second, faded, worn paint actually does show more shapes and details in pictures.  The most difficult reference pics to get are ones taken high-angle, as not many cars can carry a 12- stepladder for such images.  

With the Moebius 65-66 Ford F-100's, I assisted on the reference photo shoot and measurements--approximately 1000 pics were taken, dozens of short measurements done to determine such as the length of doors, outside dimensions of cab and bed(s).  All of that was done at a "dealership" in far western Illinois, about 20 miles or so from the Mississippi River, where Dave discovered 7 or 8 unrestored but solid 1965-66 Ford pickups.

Dave and I should be seeing revised test shots (based on our review comments on the first round back in March) any day now.  Can't wait to see them!

Art

Cheers Art. That’s awesome you guys are willing to share information with consumers. I’m looking forward to more projects. I’m truly hoping for another big rig. A Mack Anthem and or Granite would be a treat. 

Regards

Ben

4 hours ago, Bennyg said:

Cheers Art. That’s awesome you guys are willing to share information with consumers. I’m looking forward to more projects. I’m truly hoping for another big rig. A Mack Anthem and or Granite would be a treat. 

Regards

Ben

As was posted in another thread, Moebius will be offering Super Singles for their International tractors as well their van trailers.  Both trailers will be reissued and there will be new big rig related subjects in the future.

1 hour ago, chuckyr said:

As was posted in another thread, Moebius will be offering Super Singles for their International tractors as well their van trailers.  Both trailers will be reissued and there will be new big rig related subjects in the future.

I knew about the super singles and trailers. They’re certainly holding their cards close to their chest with an actual big rig subject. I remember when the lonestar was being developed, the pictures were on the net. It was great to see the tooling being developed. We can only hope.

Ben

25 minutes ago, Bennyg said:

I knew about the super singles and trailers. They’re certainly holding their cards close to their chest with an actual big rig subject. I remember when the lonestar was being developed, the pictures were on the net. It was great to see the tooling being developed. We can only hope.

Ben

The decision was already green lighted by the time the development was shown on this forum for the first truck and trailer kits.  The next big rig project is just in the discussion stages.

On 7/17/2018 at 3:47 PM, kelson said:

I was on Instagram the other day and it was posted that Pegasus Hobbies has the f-100 4x4 in stock,has anyone picked one up yet?.

I tried checking the Pegasus Hobbies website and did not see anything about the F-100 4x4 kit.

6 hours ago, mikemodeler said:

I tried checking the Pegasus Hobbies website and did not see anything about the F-100 4x4 kit.

I did the same thing a couple days ago and saw nothing,the person maybe saw pre-order and mistook it.

34 minutes ago, GMP440 said:

Would love to see any 65-71 and 72-73 Dodge truck done by Moebius/Pegasus.

Well if Moebius is making a nice profit with the never done before Ford pickups, I am sure they will have there sites on the Dodge pickups next. Personally, I would like to see the '65-'71 offered first.