Model Cars Magazine Forum

Is the magazine still being published?

I'm not trying to be funny or cute by asking this, I am genuinely curious. I moved from CT to OH a couple of months ago and my life has been very busy. Little time for modeling or personal pursuits, but I have been doing my best to keep up on my mandatory reading (which consists mainly of this magazine, Scale Auto, and Rue Morgue). I haven't received a new issue of MC since before moving and I haven't been here on the forums for quite some time. I'm just curious if all is copacetic and if I can expect more great content soon. Thanks!

Yes, the magazine is still being published.  Since Golden Bell Press pulled out, Gregg has had to learn and take on a lot of additional legwork to keep things running.  It has been and is a steep learning curve for him coupled with a LOT of additional work and even more expenses than when Golden Bell was in the picture.  

Patience on the part of everyone who looks for the magazine in their LHS or in their mailbox is needed until Gregg works out all of the kinks in getting things to run smoothly.  Gregg is determined to make it work.

Rumors persist the magazine is still being published in it's long standing "OFF BEAT " schedule . I used to buy it until our last REAL Hobby shop closed in Richmond Virginia and I refuse to deal with Hobby Town anyway .The current Franchise owner carries the Scrap Auto magazine and I won't even go near that publication . 

I'm not trying to be funny or cute by asking this, I am genuinely curious. I moved from CT to OH a couple of months ago and my life has been very busy.  

That hasn't been a new issue for a few months...did you email Gregg your new address?  I did before my move, I recently moved from AZ to OH...

Thanks for the update, everyone! I will continue to look out for the next issue.

Rob Hall - my better half is still in my house in CT until we sell it and she moves out to Ohio with me. As a result, I'm using the same address that I always have. She puts a package together once a month that includes my magazines and other assorted mail.

6 months ( or more )  from one issue to the next  . IMO is unacceptable.

UNLESS its advertised / promoted as such .

I read a while back new subscribers were paying for back ordered / delayed issues being printed ?

Im sorry and I mean no ill respect to the publisher . But that's not a way to run a business . And will keep me personally from even considering becoming a subscriber at any level.  New subscribers should be paying for growth not last years issues .

Again MY opinion only.

I renewed for two years with Gregg face to face at GSL. There's a saying that says, "never wager more than you're willing to lose." I'm wagering that this measure of goodwill will help get Gregg to where he and all the rest of us want to be with the magazine, the forum, the galleries, etc. If, God forbid, that's just not enough, I'm fine knowing I helped give the man a chance, considering how I've already benefitted from his efforts.

I renewed for two years with Gregg face to face at GSL. There's a saying that says, "never wager more than you're willing to lose." I'm wagering that this measure of goodwill will help get Gregg to where he and all the rest of us want to be with the magazine, the forum, the galleries, etc. If, God forbid, that's just not enough, I'm fine knowing I helped give the man a chance, considering how I've already benefitted from his efforts.

Bingo!  If everyone thought this way, Gregg would be in a better place.  I call that a vote for the hobby. I also am a subscriber.  One of my rules of business is "always root for the little guy!"

Those sitting on the sideline waiting will be part of why the operation fails

There are those who complain and criticize on the board the man provides us for free, but won't support the magazine.  That's balls.  

And in the end there will be those who gleefully will proclaim  "TOLD YA!"   Only there won't be a board for them to spew on!

I saw on Facebook that Gregg is getting ready for back surgery #8 and that issue #204 is getting close.  #203 mailed in February 2017. A Gregg;s published commitment of 6 issues per year isn't even close to reality.  I've been a subscriber for many years and have been indexing the magazine indexes for Gregg.  It's project he wanted to get down and now he has it.  I didn't even think of charging because it won't be right to try to get money from a person who does so much for me with the forum and sporadic magazine.

Food for thought.  Charge $10 a year for access to this site.  Charge $6 an issue (minimum four) for the magazine but do not promise a certian number of issues in a given time period.   If you get four issues over two years there is nothing to complain about.  A one man operation cannot keep pace with the more established magazines.  Will some people not want to pay the $10 - of course - but the fee could be waived if you subscribe to the magazine.  Am I crazy?

Food for thought.  Charge $10 a year for access to this site.  Charge $6 an issue (minimum four) for the magazine but do not promise a certian number of issues in a given time period.   If you get four issues over two years there is nothing to complain about.  A one man operation cannot keep pace with the more established magazines.  Will some people not want to pay the $10 - of course - but the fee could be waived if you subscribe to the magazine.  Am I crazy?

I would agree to that in a heartbeat long before I subscribed to a printed magazine that may or may not arrive.

Well said, we benefit everyday from Gregg with this great forum.

Bingo!  If everyone thought this way, Gregg would be in a better place.  I call that a vote for the hobby. I also am a subscriber.  One of my rules of business is "always root for the little guy!"

Those sitting on the sideline waiting will be part of why the operation fails

There are those who complain and criticize on the board the man provides us for free, but won't support the magazine.  That's balls.  

And in the end there will be those who gleefully will proclaim  "TOLD YA!"   Only there won't be a board for them to spew on!

VERY well stated, Tom. Truer words have never been spoken.

I saw on Facebook that Gregg is getting ready for back surgery #8 and that issue #204 is getting close.  #203 mailed in February 2017. A Gregg;s published commitment of 6 issues per year isn't even close to reality.  I've been a subscriber for many years and have been indexing the magazine indexes for Gregg.  It's project he wanted to get down and now he has it.  I didn't even think of charging because it won't be right to try to get money from a person who does so much for me with the forum and sporadic magazine.

I wish Gregg well.................I have had 8 back surgeries as well, and I do NOT do a one man show on a magazine. I am happy for whatever comes our way as a result of his efforts , and I can only hope that those who find fault do not ever have to endure the pain from a chronic problem such as Gregg is.....................to wish that upon them would be inhuman.

Yes, THAT would be a great idea, and would go a long way to supporting the efforts to publish what IS the best magazine available! Great idea!

I'd pay for this site. And hope that some of the more challenging characters wouldn't!  :D

Bingo!

Sorry but this is not practical. Gregg has said he needs $10k to print 1 issue, so for 6 issues that is $60k. Subscriptions alone are not going to cut it. Second you can't just pull a figure out of the air like $10. There are 16k plus members on the forum however not all are active. Some are no longer active for one reason or another. Second how many are going to be willing to pay, that is going to determine what needs to be charged for the magazine and forum to survive. . Another factor what about the people who are contributing to the forum. You shouldn't charge them they are the ones bringing others to the site. 

Also most are going to expect the magazine in a timely manner and not having a schedule isn't very practical. You certainly are going to have problems attracting advertisers with no set schedule.

Don't get me wrong I want Gregg to succeed. However the practical aspects have to be addressed.

Edited by bobthehobbyguy

Well sell some tee shirts.

There needs to be a link here on the forum to either the main site or to the tee shirts directly. The idea of selling tee shirts is great but nobody knows how to access the main site or how to find the tees with out a link. We have a link for a "Gallery" that doesn't even function, replace the Gallery link with the Home Page link or Main Site link and you'll sell more tee shirts.

I can see how funds ar an issue but is that the real problem?  Let's suppose the following for four issues:

Ad revenue     $10,000

Website dues  $20,000

2K mag subs  $48,000

Total.                $78,000

Mag cost.        (40,000)

Profit.               $38,000

Now I have no idea how many subscribers there are and how much ad revenue there is  The only amount I see mentioned is the $10K production cost per issue.  I just wanted to throw some number out there that would start a discussion of whether it is a financial issue or something else (health perhaps) that has caused the slow down in publishing frequency.  If money is truely the issue than charging something for the site (maybe $5 a year) could be a shot in the arm to keep things going.  The longer the delays he less patient people will become and the renewal rate will suffer and that will be end of it all, no matter how much a diehard few hundred want it to continue.

Having no idea what it really costs to put out the magazine , your $40,000 is short 2 issues at 6 per year at $10,000 per , and the assumption of $20,000 in web site dues is probably pie in the sky . While we can all wish for things to be different , maybe what Greg really needs is our support and understanding that he's doing a difficult job the best he can right now . The hobby is much better with the existence of the magazine , no matter what the schedule , than without it .