Model Cars Magazine Forum

What's In The Box, BMW 2002 tii

martinfan5

Here we go guys, taking a look at the new BMW 2002 from Hasegawa,  I normally post a link to the photos of the kit as well, but since Photobucket gate, I have not yet figured out if I am going to bother with that anymore, I am still in limbo on hosting.

Edited by martinfan5

Thanks for your review. Disappointed it is a curbside but very impressed with the nature of all the trim bits - chrome, black plastic, decal and metal. It sure looks like it will build up to be a very attractive display model. I had a girl friend in the late seventies who had a tii so I got to drive one a fair amount. They were a great car. I did a diecast conversion to match her dark green car with tan upholstery.

$50 from Tower hobbies.   a little less from others, and as low as $28 with $12 shipping.  Either way, I can't justify that for a curbside and no door panels.  Even though I think these are GREAT looking little cars and I would love to build one for a friend that owned several of these.  The door cars were fairly simple, but still, why no door cards?  Doggone it.

Well I'm really disappointed - the interior is quite visible through the large windows and the total lack of detail kills it for me.

Come on Hasegawa you should know better.

Edited by BrianC

Door panels are not a deal killer for building race cars. Just paint it black and watch it disappear. 

The way the kit is designed, you can figure out Hasegawa is doing multiple variations. Race cars could be one reason; with the separate rear seat and all. It's almost a given the Turbo will be kitted, in fact the second rear bumper and the little divots in the body for body side molding that would be completely covered by separate flares, and even a separate taillight overlay can be used for the rectangular lamps in back. The clues are there just in what you get in the box for this first iteration. 

Their latest Honda 360/600 and the Suzuki Jimny kits don't have any sidewall detail either. It's like they got to the interior and gave up.

For a 2002 w/black interior, it's not a big deal regardless. I've seen some nice ones built in Japan, just odd that they put so much detail on the body and chassis and then made the interior so spartan.

I'm happy to have the kit, and have ideas for getting the interior up to snuff. I think my kit was about $32 delivered, no real complaints.

I hope that they follow through with a square tail light version. I've owned nine of them and would like to replicate the main two my wife and I drove. I only had one round tail light version. BTW, the black trim doesn't go onto or in the chrome, it is a lower body rub strip.

I'm not one to usually complain when a kit maker releases a new kit - I get that sometimes things don't work out exactly right and that there may be shortcomings here and there.  I'm usually just pretty happy to have the opportunity to build something.  But, missing door panels?  Did we just hit 88MPH and go back to 1967?  A bummer, to say the least.

There are very very faint lines on the door panels. Put any paint on them and they will disappear. Eventhough that is one downfall for the kit. I am pleased with the rest even for a curbside. Not to for sure how big this picture is cause I'm using my phone here..20170805_234444.thumb.jpg.45d8a7346b8681

• 8 months later...
  • 1 year later...
On ‎6‎/‎5‎/‎2019 at 3:14 AM, 89AKurt said:

Too funny I made the last comment.  Saw this on a SpotModel email, but no listing.

Ukrainian BMW engine.jpg

That is some excellent work, but it costs more than the original kit. If you want a motor, you have to pay the freight.