Model Cars Magazine Forum

Hobby Lobby reset coming

Around here, the discontinued items are already marked down.  Revell '57 Ford wagon (police version, not the gasser) and (I think) the stock '70 Barracuda, AMT Lawman Plymouth and Crew Wagon '72 Blazer, MPC Volare, Soapy Sales funny car, '60 Corvette, '67 Charger, and '70 Bonneville among others.

Around here, the discontinued items are already marked down.  Revell '57 Ford wagon (police version, not the gasser) and (I think) the stock '70 Barracuda, AMT Lawman Plymouth and Crew Wagon '72 Blazer, MPC Volare, Soapy Sales funny car, '60 Corvette, '67 Charger, and '70 Bonneville among others.

AMT '37 Chevy and '32 Ford Vicky on clearance here too.

The mark downs at Hobby Lobby here is the same as a 40% off coupon. No real deals yet.

The advantage is that you can buy more than one of them at a time, if you want. And still use your coupon for something still at Full Metal Retail.

The advantage is that you can buy more than one of them at a time, if you want. And still use your coupon for something still at Full Metal Retail.

While true it seems that I have at least one of everything they have on the shelf. I'm not bragging its just that the stock just never seems to change. I find it frustrating because I have a 40 % off coupon in my hot little hand and I want to use it, I just can't.

Hobby Lobby, Anderson SC, update from yesterday, Fri. 8/25/17:

The Round 2 65 Pontiac Grand Prix, 70 Bonneville convertible and Barris Surf Woody were marked down to $17.99.  I looked pretty closely and didn't see any other markdowns.  Some kits others have mentioned, like the Revell 57 Ford Wagon and R2 60 Corvette, were still at full price.  Seems weird, but maybe that's up to the individual store and not a corporate policy.

Michaels - the selection of car kits get worse every time I go in there.  Only a few car kits at the end of the model aisle, just piled/thrown haphazardly into the racks.  Nothing discounted or on clearance. Not even the 58 Plymouth "Christine" kit with the shrink-wrap removed and the box-top off.

Ollies - still had a few Lindberg 64 Dodge Mavericks and a couple of other car kits. Plenty of Lindberg ships and ancient aircraft kits.

Visited the Ocala Hobby Lobby last night after taking Marcia to Carrabba's for her birthday dinner.  Food was excellent.  The model kit shelves at HL had many open spots.  They need a restock real bad.  The Foose pickup was available but that's about all I saw for new items. I was hoping to score a Foose Caddy last night.  I did notice shopping carts full of boxes in the area so maybe more kits are in them.  I'll check again on Saturday when we have our FAST meeting at the store.

• 2 weeks later...

My local Hobby Lobby has several new kits on the shelf such as the Foose Cadillac; 64 Thunderbolt; Gran Torino; 57 Black Widow; and the Suburban. They also just put out the Starsky & Hutch Torino which I had never seen there before.(29.99--had picked it up just the other day at Michaels for 21.99 before coupon). Empty slots had new stickers for incoming models such as the RX7 and Datsun P/U and a few others. Oh yea, another old kit which they had never sold before the 90 Mustang LX drag racer and the Revell 68 Beetle.

Was there just yesterday myself at my local joint... nothing new except a few empty slots that i didnt pay much attention to (guess new stuff will be stuck there shortly?) and did however notice the metal PE kits thats usually hanging on the one spot was moved to where they put a couple new star wars and star trek stuff but thats about it on my end so far...

The stock Gran Torino is in at $29.99. I know everything gets a 40% off coupon, but my local Hobbytown had it for $22.99. HL ain't so cheap anymore...

Jeff

If you are buying at MSRP, then you are correct. But with the 40% off, that kit is now $18 plus tax. I suspect the pricing HL is using MSRP because they know most shoppers will use the coupon or when they run them on special at the holidays.

If you are buying at MSRP, then you are correct. But with the 40% off, that kit is now $18 plus tax. I suspect the pricing HL is using MSRP because they know most shoppers will use the coupon or when they run them on special at the holidays.

I think what HL did is create a few different price tiers for the model kits , of course I am just guessing, but there is no way that the Torino kit has a $30 MSRP ,  the recent new NASCAR kits MSRP is $28,  so figure MSRP is low  $20's for it. 

Edited by martinfan5

You guys are lucky. You have a wider range of options for getting kits in the US. Aside from a LHS the only place I know of anymore that carries model kits is Michael's. Michael's normal prices for kits (glue) Revell, AMT is $30-38 CDN so with the %40 off coupon you're usually around $20-25. LHS are in the mid to hi $30 range now (with NO coupons), and import kits...well hold on.. my LHS has Aoshima McLaren F1 GTR kits at $97 CDN.....the same kit I ordered from FreeTime for $15. Now that was on clearance mind you....but that is a HUGE price gap. 

I just got a C7R kit this weekend from Hobby Lobby in Amherst NY. List price was $26.99 with 40% off and tax came to $17.19 or so US, in CDN $$'s that's $20.84, about what it would be at Michael's with their 40% off coupon. If only Michael's had some new stock. I think it's been pretty close to a year since anything "new" has hit the Michael's inventory, newest kit being the Starsky and Hutch Torino and others out around that time. 

I would love to have more stores to choose from up here for buying kits. 

Edited by Jhedir6

David, you are so right. A group I participate in, has the use of a room inside a Michael's for meetings. On my first time attending, I had to check out the model section. The car selection was disappointing. I almost picked up Revell's 1/48 Strike Eagle. With coupon, it would have been $26 + tax. Tax in Ontario is pretty steep at 13%. I rummaged through the kits for a bit longer and found a C7R pushed to the back of a shelf, behind other kits. Now that was more like it. With coupon and tax, it came to $20 and change. i was lucky on that one. Not much else was really current. A friend told me that it has been over a year since there was a reset. I guess they really are not focused on the model building hobbyist. :(

Edited by Bill Eh?
added more info.

David, you are so right. A group I participate in, has the use of a room inside a Michael's for meetings. On my first time attending, I had to check out the model section. The car selection was disappointing. I almost picked up Revell's 1/48 Strike Eagle. With coupon, it would have been $26 + tax. Tax in Ontario is pretty steep at 13%. I rummaged through the kits for a bit longer and found a C7R pushed to the back of a shelf, behind other kits. Now that was more like it. With coupon and tax, it came to $20 and change. i was lucky on that one. Not much else was really current. A friend told me that it has been over a year since there was a reset. I guess they really are not focused on the model building hobbyist. :(

WoW you found a C7R at Michael's? I've not seen one there. I would of bought all of them had the ones local to me had any, ever. The kit isnt over the top fantastic but it is more than decent. I'll have to keep looking. I'm going to need another one, cause I think Im going to treat myself to a SMS detail set for Christmas.