Forum will be Offline for Server Maintenance ×
Model Cars Magazine Forum

New Tamiya Lacquers for Airbrushing?

But still need to go through US evaluation.  So there will be a several month lag for availability here.  

It is my understanding that chemicals and paints (solvent based items) have to pass the stringent California labeling and content rules in order to be sold in the US. Hopefully Tamiya will see to it to bring these here, would definitely be of interest to many!

• 4 months later...

Just curious if anyone has tried these yet?  My local hobby shop just received the first 15 colours, so I'm going to pick up a couple and try them out.

I believe the goal is for Tamiya to eventually release all of their spray colours in bottle form.  I think this would fill a real need, especially for us car modelers.  If buying paint from your local hobby shop, there really is only ModelMaster enamels for people that want to airbrush car bodies.  (unless you want to order Zero paints or Gravity).  

Some of those military colors will work on cars. Put some gloss on it and a lot of those subdued colors would be great for cars made before the 1960s. Somewhere in my stash is a Jo-Han V-16 Cadillac in two-tone blue using Tamiya spray paint. Overall light blue that was likely a German WWII aircraft color, with trim in a darker blue/gray. It stalled because of a broken windshield post.

Edited by LDO

On 10/18/2017 at 6:23 AM, BVC500 said:

I'm doubtful. Look how long it took to get TS-13 (gloss) back. And you can no longer get their relatively new Pink Surfacer in the States anymore.

I dont think you ever could,  it was supposed be sold here, as many sellers had a listing for it, but I dont think they ever got it in stock.

Ive been importing it from China for the last couple of years.

3 hours ago, bluenote said:

Just curious if anyone has tried these yet?  My local hobby shop just received the first 15 colours, so I'm going to pick up a couple and try them out.

I believe the goal is for Tamiya to eventually release all of their spray colours in bottle form.  I think this would fill a real need, especially for us car modelers.  If buying paint from your local hobby shop, there really is only ModelMaster enamels for people that want to airbrush car bodies.  (unless you want to order Zero paints or Gravity).  

There is also Scalefinishes that does automotive color matched paints.

I am not seeing any USA sellers with them yet,  I just bought a couple of bottles from Asia, should have them in a couple of months :lol:

Edited by martinfan5

2 hours ago, peter31a said:

I just picked up the 3 blacks from Wheels &Wings but haven't tried them yet. According to fellow at the store the plans so far are more for the plane and armour colours rather than the colours we like to use to paint cars with (beyond the basics).

From a Google search to see if any US seller had them, here is a chart showing the first two waves

tamiya-82101-82130.jpg

Make sure you get tamiya lacquer thinner as well.  I understand that you need to thin LP paints 1:1 for airbrush use.  I am sure any lacquer thinner would work, but it is always best to use the same company.  That way there is never even the slightest incompatibility issue. 

5 hours ago, martinfan5 said:

There is also Scalefinishes that does automotive color matched paints.

I am not seeing any USA sellers with them yet,  I just bought a couple of bottles from Asia, should have them in a couple of months :lol:

Scalefinishes doesn't respond to emails anymore, so they've lost my business despite me always having excellent customer service in the past. 

Tamiya has said these lacquers have to go through the U.S. approval process to be sold here.

That's interesting you got the Pink Surfacer from China. I tried to get it from Japan, France, and Spain, and none of them would ship to the U.S. if the product is not approved. It's been approved for sale in the US and will be in stock at hobby stores soon.

Edited by BVC500

1 hour ago, BVC500 said:

Scalefinishes doesn't respond to emails anymore, so they've lost my business despite me always having excellent customer service in the past. 

Tamiya has said these lacquers have to go through the U.S. approval process to be sold here.

That's interesting you got the Pink Surfacer from China. I tried to get it from Japan, France, and Spain, and none of them would ship to the U.S. if the product is not approved. It's been approved for sale in the US and will be in stock at hobby stores soon.

Well yes, all Tamiya chemical based products have to go through the approval process for the USA, I was simply mentioning  none are showing up yet ,  I thinks its gonna be one of those things that they just show up one day.     Its pretty clear that the Pink Primer could not get past that process, I wonder if Tamiya is going to make the changes , its a great addition and makes doing red paint jobs so much easier.

Its not really that interesting to be honest,  that is how Japan works,  there are restrictions on paints and glues being exported out of Japan, I dont know the exact law, but that is why no Japan hobby retailers that ship to the USA sell us paint products, I think paint markers might be an expectation( correct me if I wrong). 

Heck, I had to fill out extra forms the one time I bought some Gundam Panel Line markers that got shipped Via Fedex.   Spain is sort of the same, but it is restricted to spray cans, they cant be shipped out of the EU, according to Spot Model's shipping info.

Taiwan and China both love to sell us paint products, and great places to get Mr Hobby products from at rock bottom prices.

Edited by martinfan5

Just now, Agent G said:

Gunze Sangyo's "Self Leveling Thinner" and "Mr Color Thinner" are superb when used with Tamiya X and XF acrylics. I see no reason that either wouldn't work just as well with these new lacquers. 

G

Was thinking the same thing G,  awesome thinners.  little secret, they work wonders with Testors enamels too.

3 hours ago, Pete J. said:

Make sure you get tamiya lacquer thinner as well.  I understand that you need to thin LP paints 1:1 for airbrush use.  I am sure any lacquer thinner would work, but it is always best to use the same company.  That way there is never even the slightest incompatibility issue. 

I've always used plain old lacquer thinner (Clean Strip from Walmart) to thin all lacquers AND enamels for airbrushing--very compatible, get great results every time!

Art Anderson

17 hours ago, peter31a said:

I just picked up the 3 blacks from Wheels &Wings but haven't tried them yet. According to fellow at the store the plans so far are more for the plane and armour colours rather than the colours we like to use to paint cars with (beyond the basics).

That's where I'll be heading to pick up some too!

Actually, as per the link below, there are even more coming, including a lot of the car colours (metallics and pearls).

I believe the intent is to eventually release all of the spray colours in bottle form.  

Tamiya-color-lacquer-paint-compatibility

8 hours ago, Art Anderson said:

I've always used plain old lacquer thinner (Clean Strip from Walmart) to thin all lacquers AND enamels for airbrushing--very compatible, get great results every time!

Art Anderson

Art, all lacquer thinners are not created equal and there is a reason.  I learned this years ago when I started using automotive lacquers on models. 

Here is an article on what makes up lacquer thinners. It really does a good job of explaining the differences.   https://thefinishingstore.com/blogs/news/127175747-understanding-solvents-part-iii-laquer-thinner 

The stuff you get at Wallyworld is mostly just acetone, especially if you live in California.  It may work well in many cases but not so much in others.  I have several cans of old style lacquer thinners that I hord and use only for thinning.  I use the cheap stuff as brush cleaner. 

I decant a lot of Tamiya TS paints, which I suspect are very similar chemically to the new LP's and I thin them with Tamiya lacquer thinners when needed and they seem(Mark I eyeball only) to self level a little better than if I use other thinners.  The automotives lacquers seem to flash and harden faster.  The Klean Strip seem to require more finish polishing.  

I did learn a long time ago not to use different thinners if I spray more than one coat.  Always use the same thinner for all coats.  More than once, I have had severe wrinkling because of different cure rates. 

Now for the disclaimer, Your results may vary......   If you have a system and it works for you, stick with it!  Experience in mix rates and types of thinners and paints trumps everything.   

20 minutes ago, Pete J. said:

Art, all lacquer thinners are not created equal and there is a reason.  I learned this years ago when I started using automotive lacquers on models. 

Here is an article on what makes up lacquer thinners. It really does a good job of explaining the differences.   https://thefinishingstore.com/blogs/news/127175747-understanding-solvents-part-iii-laquer-thinner 

The stuff you get at Wallyworld is mostly just acetone, especially if you live in California.  It may work well in many cases but not so much in others.  I have several cans of old style lacquer thinners that I hord and use only for thinning.  I use the cheap stuff as brush cleaner. 

I decant a lot of Tamiya TS paints, which I suspect are very similar chemically to the new LP's and I thin them with Tamiya lacquer thinners when needed and they seem(Mark I eyeball only) to self level a little better than if I use other thinners.  The automotives lacquers seem to flash and harden faster.  The Klean Strip seem to require more finish polishing.  

I did learn a long time ago not to use different thinners if I spray more than one coat.  Always use the same thinner for all coats.  More than once, I have had severe wrinkling because of different cure rates. 

Now for the disclaimer, Your results may vary......   If you have a system and it works for you, stick with it!  Experience in mix rates and types of thinners and paints trumps everything.   

Pete, 

I have no desire to get into any online argument here, but I will say that I've been thinning paint, from nitrocellulose automotive lacquer, acrylic automotive lacquer, Aero-Gloss model airplane dope, Tamiya and Testors Modelmaster lacquers (Oh, and regular petroleum-based enamels--from professional grade down to the likes of Testors) since my first airbrush, a Binks Wren (bought on the 26th of December 1961 with a mix of paper route money, and Christmas $$ for approximately $90 in 1961 money).  I've never had anything but the best of results from that time to now (have a bunch of trophies and plaques to back that up, too).  And no, not all lacquer thinners are mostly acetone, although acetone is a part of the blend, for sure.  While I have settled on "Klean-Strip" from Walmart, I have also bitten the bullet--used automotive lacquer thinner from Martin-Senour, and DuPont--all have given me the very same results (Oh, I forgot--at the outset, I used Pactra Aero-Gloss Dope thinner too!).  Even my technique hasn't changed, in how I thin lacquers (or enamels, for that matter), I thin all such paints to the consistency of skim milk (easy to see, just by observing how the mix "sheets" down the inside surface of my airbrush color jar), and the pressure I used at the airbrush--no pressure regulator, I just start out bleeding the air by my moisture trap petcock, and go from there--it's worked for me since I learned that by doing, now 57 years ago.  I may not know what I am doing, but I do know the results, and have many awards to prove it as well.  So, I guess I can say, "Been there, done that, got the Tee-Shirt.)

Art

Oh, and Pete, I have dozens of cans of automotive lacquers, some dating back to the early post-WW-II years, along with automotive enamels from the same era--I've used many of those in years past, gotten the same show-stopping results, but sadly those were all on scale models of Indianapolis race cars, and I sold that vast collection, in a weak moment, back in 1965.

Art

A couple of examples from recent years:  Revell '50 Olds 88 coupe, and the Tamiya '36 Toyoda AA Sedan.  The Olds was shot in Scale Finishes factory match acrylic enamel, the Toyoda in Testors bottle paints--home mix for a close match to pics online: Both were thinned as I described above:

Hopefully, Moebius will consider using a larger box so everything is not jammed in there.  The two F100 kits I have ('71 Ranger and '72 Sport Custom) have warped cabs that I'm trying to straighten out because they were jammed into the box before the plastic had cooled from the molding process.

50Oldsfinishedfinal.jpg

1936Toyodafinished5.jpg