Model Cars Magazine Forum

Ferrari F40 Cannonball 2017 CBP

vwdave92

Here are finished pictures of Tamiya's Ferrari F40.  I wasn't happy with the kit turbos so I swapped them out then built all the intake and exhaust plumbing.  The exhaust pipes are real stainless tubing bent with a torch and heat stained naturally.  The oil cooler and dif cooler were both plumbed and plug wires were added.  A full sheet of kevlar decal was added to the engine bay and interior along with BMF heat shielding.  

Because the car will be "raced" cross country per the 2017 Cannonball Run CBP a few things were added to the interiors.  I opened the windows, added window cranks, kevlar, CB, stereo (original car had none), speakers, seat belts and a lap top made with a screen shot of my actual laptop.  

engine.jpg

IMG_6393.jpg

IMG_6398.jpg

outside 1.jpg

plate.jpg

IMG_6313.jpg

IMG_6321.jpg

Is that chris cornell and chester on the lap top?

Yes and yes.  The meaning is as deep as it could / can be.  Both were amazing artists and both lost during the build of the car.  Both broke molds which seemed to fit with the last car Enzo was alive for.  Plus the F40, Soundgarden, then a few years later Linkin Park, all came around at a very impressionable times for me.  The license plate "RENEGDS" is for the X Ambassadors' song "Renegades" which pulled it all together for me.  Thanks for noticing. :)

The exhaust tubing is amazing as is the rest  of the detailing.

Thanks.  The exhaust is 3mm stainless tubing.  I used a propane torch and needle nose pliers to bend it then more torch to even out the heat stain.  Cut it down and flared the tips with a dremel tool and hand files.  I'm happy to report the burns on fingers have healed.  Even using gloves, once or twice I grabbed a hot pipe.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...