Model Cars Magazine Forum

What would YOU like to see as a model

2 hours ago, Erik Smith said:

43D48B37-8EAD-4A5F-BC15-E216B1AE8439.jpeg

I don't want to step on your toes Erik, but this is exactly the type of vehicle I think of when I think of the absolute absence of style. ;)

The epitome of the "appliance vehicle" in my opinion.

The resemblance to a Fridgidaire is stunning! :)

Steve

Edited by StevenGuthmiller

4 minutes ago, StevenGuthmiller said:

I don't want to step on your toes Erik, but this is exactly the type of vehicle I think of when I think of the absolute absence of style. ;)

Steve

To be fair, a lot of cars back in the day fell in that category too.   Give enough time, even Camries can be the stuff of nostalgia.

6 minutes ago, StevenGuthmiller said:

The epitome of the "appliance vehicle" in my opinion.

The resemblance to a Fridgidaire is stunning! :)

Steve

C’mon Steve! Nothing wrong with refrigerator design.

To me, there is some aesthetic to these 80’s “boxes”.

We are fortunate the Japanese kit makers have already produced quite a few from the era and this is upcoming:

0F746C8F-9314-475D-9DE5-185BB06DFF68.jpeg

32 minutes ago, Richard Bartrop said:

To be fair, a lot of cars back in the day fell in that category too.   Give enough time, even Camries can be the stuff of nostalgia.

My point exactly!

There were almost zero cars from that era that required a degree in automotive styling.

Even I can draw a straight line!

Steve

22 minutes ago, StevenGuthmiller said:

My point exactly!

There were almost zero cars from that era that required a degree in automotive styling.

Even I can draw a straight line!

Steve

No, that's not even close to my point.  My point was that go back as far as you want, there are cars that were built purely as appliances, and were just as exciting.

1978_chevette.JPG

chevrolet-nova-3.jpg

56589112-770-0@2X.jpg?rev=8

24282_Front_3-4_Web.jpg

As for the idea that nothing was made during that time had any styling, well, that's simply wrong.

6 hours ago, Richard Bartrop said:

No, that's not even close to my point.  My point was that go back as far as you want, there are cars that were built purely as appliances, and were just as exciting.

1978_chevette.JPG

chevrolet-nova-3.jpg

56589112-770-0@2X.jpg?rev=8

24282_Front_3-4_Web.jpg

As for the idea that nothing was made during that time had any styling, well, that's simply wrong.

With the exception of the Chevette, all of these cars, though not always pleasing to the eye, had some style.

There are curves, there are lines & cues that draw your attention to one aspect of the design or another.

There are things that differentiate the design from other makes & models of the time & from other years.

I still have absolutely no idea what year, or model the OP's car is.

Hell, I'm not even sure of the make for that matter!

I agree Richard, there are cars from every era that were supposed to be very utilitarian, but from the late 70s through the 90s they all looked that way.

I guess everybody's sense of what's aesthetically pleasing is different, but no matter how you try, you will never convince me that there were good looking automobiles being built in that era.

Just my opinion.

Steve

Anyway...

I was thinking. I also NEED a couple of VW kits. 

Volkswagen T3 Doka. 

5a33ddb3307b8_082607-001-dokaattheshow.thumb.jpg.5479d009c0738451957a44c548d338fc.jpg

Volkswagen B3 generation Passat, especially in wagon format.

DSC_6029.thumb.JPG.fac75ec9c5e79491c6e1b2bc38f5d92a.JPG

Admitted, the cars pictured are not stock, but that's how I'd build the kits. Replicas of my old cars.

I actually think the Doka would sell in quantities big enough to justify production. MY beloved wagon? Not so much.

7 hours ago, StevenGuthmiller said:

I agree Richard, there are cars from every era that were supposed to be very utilitarian, but from the late 70s through the 90s they all looked that way.

I guess everybody's sense of what's aesthetically pleasing is different, but no matter how you try, you will never convince me that there were good looking automobiles being built in that era.

Just my opinion.

Steve

The car at the bottom is 1918 Dodge, built before any of the big three thought to have a styling department.  It is a car that is lite4rally without style.

As for your opinion that all cars from the 70s to the 90's are utiliarian and without style,  I'm sorry, but it is not an opinion grounded in fact.

3562160096_large.jpg

1200px-2008-10-05_Red_Plymouth_Prowler_a

1200px-1984_Ferrari_308_GTB_qv.jpg

Lamborghini_Countach_LP500S.jpg

Love them or hate them, though I think the '84 Firebird is the best looking of the entire Firebird run,  but you sure can't call these utilitarian.

And the branze box the OP posted was a Toyota Camry.

Edited by Richard Bartrop

39 minutes ago, gtx6970 said:

Not a fan of much from the 80s ... And I'm a diehard Mopar fan .BUT  I sure would like to have one of these . Just for chits and giggles . Ive driven one of these and have to say these things will fly in box stock form

image.png.ff4f4a9e3d695f42704f3f9b246f6404.png

Didn't Monogram kit that? I think I even have one somewhere in the pile. 

1 hour ago, Richard Bartrop said:

I'm still a little boggled that people get nostalgic over that era.

The very essence of "nostalgic"  is a pining for things from your youth.  The people who grew up in that era, grew up with those cars. The same as us guys fond memories of being picked up after school in the big Ford Country Squire or 1960 Falcon  (again, depending on how old you are!)

1 hour ago, Snake45 said:

Didn't Monogram kit that? I think I even have one somewhere in the pile. 

Yes, The GNX is a kit from the HIGH PERFORMACE SERIES.  It is 1:24 scale.  These were the fastest factory production cars from those years too.  Corvettes were a mere snack to this Buick Muscle.  Then there were after market companies that developed even better parts that were more efficient and made horse power.

http://www.gsnationals.com/buick_gsca.htm  Here is a link to the Gran Sport Club Of America.  Every year they have a weeks long fun of Buick power and drag racing.  I have never been but I bet it's a good time.

Edited by Greg Wann

37 minutes ago, Tom Geiger said:

The very essence of "nostalgic"  is a pining for things from your youth.  The people who grew up in that era, grew up with those cars. The same as us guys fond memories of being picked up after school in the big Ford Country Squire or 1960 Falcon  (again, depending on how old you are!)

I grew up in that era, and while Dad did own a few cool cars, like the Toronado, I also remember a butt-ugly '73 Torino wagon that I can't imagine ever being nostalgic for

3 hours ago, Richard Bartrop said:

The car at the bottom is 1918 Dodge, built before any of the big three thought to have a styling department.  It is a car that is lite4rally without style.

As for your opinion that all cars from the 70s to the 90's are utiliarian and without style,  I'm sorry, but it is not an opinion grounded in fact.

3562160096_large.jpg

1200px-2008-10-05_Red_Plymouth_Prowler_a

1200px-1984_Ferrari_308_GTB_qv.jpg

Lamborghini_Countach_LP500S.jpg

Love them or hate them, though I think the '84 Firebird is the best looking of the entire Firebird run,  but you sure can't call these utilitarian.

And the branze box the OP posted was a Toyota Camry.

Ok, I'll concede that not "every" car from that era was totally devoid of shape.......if you could afford a Lambo or Ferrari!

But even those pale in comparison to earlier & later models.

The Plymouth is nothing more than a gussied up "copy" of one of those early designs when there "was no design department" with a hot rod flair added.

As far as the Firebird goes, that's where the "eye of the beholder" comes in.

In my opinion, the '84 Firebird was nothing special to look at.

This is a Firebird to me!

image.png.a11835c3750090ee1e1a4375d682caba.png

Likewise, I don't believe that claiming to know the "facts" when it comes to pleasing design is a valid argument.

What's pleasing to your eye, or what constitutes style in your opinion, my differ completely from my opinion.

So let's not argue which designs are "factually" stylish.

There's nothing but opinion in both of our arguments.

Steve