Model Cars Magazine Forum

What would YOU like to see as a model

Of course, you are right. The Harry Potter films were showing back to back on British TV over Christmas, and this could generate interest in a Ford Anglia scale model kit.

Apart from a resin body kit produced by Airtrax in Finland and some diecast models in the wrong scales, there is no 1:24 Anglia.

David

On 12/26/2017 at 8:04 AM, Luc Janssens said:

1972-93 Dodge Powerwagon's, in 1/25th scale and some also in 1/35th and 1/48th scale, as these trucks were used by the American armed forces too, that way too the R&D cost can be spread, not only over a number of variants (model year, uteline, sweptline two or all wheel drive) but also different productlines (car-, Military-, and aircraft modelers) and then I'm not including Ramcharger/traildusters..Hmm an unexplored goldmine????

I have to wonder if the scale issue for civilian vs. military modelers is a deterrent for just such an idea. How many of us would buy an all-new '72 Dodge 4x4 pickup kit if it was 1/35 scale? And vice-versa for military builders if it was 1/25 scale?

On 27/12/2017 at 8:24 PM, VW93 said:

1962 Ford Custom 2 door post sedan with a 223 6 cylinder and a 292 V8  with automatic and 3 speed standard transmission options Would make a great Fire Chief and/or Police car as many inner city police cars used a 6 cylinder versus the V8 for city driving. 

It could later be issued with a 406 with 3 2's and with a 4 speed.and automatic transmission with cheater slicks and 62 era tach, gauges and decals for an A/stock drag car.

If the tooling was done properly so the 406 and chassis could be used a 62 Galaxie hardtop could be done using some of the sedan tooling.

And how about a 55, 56, or 57 Chevy sedan delivery? Make a stock version with a six and V8 option again with an automatic or a 3 speed. Would be great as a light commercial vehicle, utility company and /or police or fire department vehicle.

Next upgrade would be to add some Stahl headers, traction bars, ball joint spacers ,wide and narrow steelies and wide and narrow Cragars or Keystones. along with cheater slicks. Some 60's era correct gauges, tach and decals and we have a Junior Stocker

100_5064.JPG

Oh Id back ya up on this one, have to be a 57 tho. Many options of various issues spring to mind, as the 57 Ford wagon.

I wonder if the boss"s at Revell ect ever look at the numerous wish lists that we post ? I guess if they do, its put on a short list of a short list that may end up on a short list ? (Just like the Goverment lol)

Id like to see any new tool of most subjects, not sure oddball wants would be worth the tool cost ect ?

Modern crew cab pickups, muscle or Tri Chevys, I'd love to see them all.

57 minutes ago, Casey said:

I have to wonder if the scale issue for civilian vs. military modelers is a deterrent for just such an idea. How many of us would buy an all-new '72 Dodge 4x4 pickup kit if it was 1/35 scale? And vice-versa for military builders if it was 1/25 scale?

I don't really think it would be as much civilian vs. military as to the openmindedness of the builder themselves. I'm sure I'm not the only one that notices the countless "I'd buy it if it was 1/25th scale" comments even on subjects that are done in 1/24th scale. 

8 hours ago, highway said:

I don't really think it would be as much civilian vs. military as to the openmindedness of the builder themselves. I'm sure I'm not the only one that notices the countless "I'd buy it if it was 1/25th scale" comments even on subjects that are done in 1/24th scale. 

Well, maybe I'm not open-minded, but the difference between 1/24 and 1/25 vs. 1/25 and 1/35 is significant to me. I've always said "subject trumps all", but 1/35 is too small for me, so I'd pass on it, regardless of what the subject is.

Back on topic, there aren't a ton of new kits I clamor for, but a 1/8 '55 Chevy Bel Air Hardtop would satisfy me for most of the rest of my life. :)

Edited by Casey

2 hours ago, 57peppershaker said:

I wonder if the boss"s at Revell ect ever look at the numerous wish lists that we post ? I guess if they do, its put on a short list of a short list that may end up on a short list ? (Just like the Goverment lol)

Id like to see any new tool of most subjects, not sure oddball wants would be worth the tool cost ect ?

Modern crew cab pickups, muscle or Tri Chevys, I'd love to see them all.

I look at it like the lottery.  The odds my be low, but they're zero if you don't play, and in this case, all it's costing you is a little bit of your spare time.  How are they going to know what you want if you don't say anything,  and sometimes you find that oddball request isn't so oddball after all, and someone might just see your idea and think "You know, now that you mention it. that might be fun to build"'.   The oddball stuff makes for an interesting modelling subject precisely because it's oddball.  As was mentioned earlier in this thread,  look at all the obscure armour and aircraft that ends up in kit form.  There's nothing wrong with old favourites,  and there are usually good reasons why certain cars get kitted over and over again, but people like a little variety too.  Once you've built the model of your dreams, or even built it two or three times  you're probably going to want to build something else.   No  matter how much you like '57 Chevies,  chances are good that at some point in your life, you're going to think, "I'd like to build something other than a '57 Chevy this time".

Personally, I thought the early Chrysler 300s were really cool, and I also remember in the ancient days of Usenet, when the subject of new kits came up on rec.arts.models, I made sure a Chrysler 300C was part of my want list, and then as now, some self styled marketing genius would be sure to let us all know how pointless it was, because if it was worth doing, it would already be done.   The Chrysler 300C from AMT, and the 300 and 300B from Moebius sitting my stash says to me that just maybe, this exercise isn't so pointless as some want to think.

Maybe Revell should consider a '57 Chevy gasser.  Do it like they did with the '57 Ford wagon.  I for one would like to see fender well headers for the '57.  And, if Revell modified the '57, the pieces could be used for all the tri-five models.  Almost seems like a no-brainer.

Edited by berr13

8 hours ago, berr13 said:

Maybe Revell should consider a '57 Chevy gasser.  Do it like they did with the '57 Ford wagon.  I for one would like to see fender well headers for the '57.  And, if Revell modified the '57, the pieces could be used for all the tri-five models.  Almost seems like a no-brainer.

Agree completely. If they really wanted to be cruel about it, they'd do it as a Sedan Delivery so to do a stock SD or a gasser sedan, you'd have to buy both kits and kitbash. This would bother me not at all as I would LOVE to do both a gasser sedan and a stock-ish Sedan Delivery. :lol:

well since were dreaming I'd love to see an 84-2001 Jeep Cherokee XJ, I think it could have or would still be a tremendous seller, they are still super popular in the off road community, were used for mail, police and other government branches 84-96 would probably be the best cause there were just minor cosmetic changes between the years and the resin guys could help fill in the year specific parts

another would be a proper wide eye VW Baja Bug any year

18 hours ago, Casey said:

I'm not sure if I understand, but my idea is, that one develops  and tools up this subject in 1/25th, 1/35th and 1/48th scale

1/25 for the automotive modelers

1/35 for the military modelers

1/48 for the aviation modelers

The rationale being that this way the development costs can be spread, by tapping into 3 discriminating segments of the hobby market...

Where is Brett Barrow....when you need him ;)

1 hour ago, Luc Janssens said:

I'm not sure if I understand, but my idea is, that one develops  and tools up this subject in 1/25th, 1/35th and 1/48th scale

The rationale being that this way the development costs can be spread, by tapping into 3 discriminating segments of the hobby market...

Interesting analysis. Now, the thing is to come up with subjects that would be of wide interest to auto, armor, and aircraft modelers. Jeeps of various vintages, for sure. Maybe a few types of carefully selected trucks. What else? 

Maybe your typical WWII staff car, a '42 Ford four-door sedan? Or a general's limo, like MacArthur's Packard or Patton's Cadillac?

Maybe one of those old Army/Navy ambulances that went on to haul surfboards, rock bands and tow race cars when they were surplused?

Edited by ChrisBcritter

21 minutes ago, ChrisBcritter said:

Maybe your typical WWII staff car, a '42 Ford four-door sedan? Or a general's limo, like MacArthur's Packard or Patton's Cadillac?

Maybe one of those old Army/Navy ambulances that went on to haul surfboards, rock bands and tow race cars when they were surplused?

Yeah , those might qualify. The Dodge WC weapons carrier series might work well for all three. (Well, basically it's just a Jeep all grown up.) I'd do one of those in 1/25 as a hot rod or surf wagon. 

There's a fairly famous photo of one of the WWII German aces--it might have been Pips Priller--with his sports car, IIRC a BMW. I can see that working in all three scales, especially if the 1/35 one were a bit closer to 1/32. 

Found the pic: 

pips-priller-3.jpg

Edited by Snake45

On 06/01/2018 at 4:19 PM, Anglia105E said:

Like you Christian, I would like to see a 1:24 scale Ford Cortina MK1, preferably the four-door version. Also the Ford Anglia 105E would be wonderful in 1:24

David

A 1/24 diecast 105E will be released in the current Hachette Auto Vintage Deluxe series in France.
Since they recently announced that they bump it to 80 cars, the chances for a Cortina are actually quite high as well.
I doubt it'll be a 4 door though. It'll be either a Lotus, or a long roof, I bet.

18 hours ago, Luc Janssens said:

One would think so, although I have my doubts meanwhile.
ICM Holding did indeed 'blow up' their 1/35 Opel Admirals and Mercedes G4s to 1/24 scale, parts layout and all.
But why did they stop there, despite they said otherwise a few years back? They'd have the Kapitän, Kadett/Olympia,
Packard V12, Mercedes 320 and 770K and a plethora of wonderful lorries to do the same with,
but instead opted for newly tooling a series of 1/24 Model Ts, which significantly differ from their 1/35 counterparts.
They even released an early post war Magirus S330 lorry in 1/35, something that would definitely sell better in 1/24, no?

On 12/27/2017 at 3:24 PM, VW93 said:

1962 Ford Custom 2 door post sedan with a 223 6 cylinder and a 292 V8  with automatic and 3 speed standard transmission options Would make a great Fire Chief and/or Police car as many inner city police cars used a 6 cylinder versus the V8 for city driving. 

It could later be issued with a 406 with 3 2's and with a 4 speed.and automatic transmission with cheater slicks and 62 era tach, gauges and decals for an A/stock drag car.

If the tooling was done properly so the 406 and chassis could be used a 62 Galaxie hardtop could be done using some of the sedan tooling.

And how about a 55, 56, or 57 Chevy sedan delivery? Make a stock version with a six and V8 option again with an automatic or a 3 speed. Would be great as a light commercial vehicle, utility company and /or police or fire department vehicle.

Next upgrade would be to add some Stahl headers, traction bars, ball joint spacers ,wide and narrow steelies and wide and narrow Cragars or Keystones. along with cheater slicks. Some 60's era correct gauges, tach and decals and we have a Junior Stocker

100_5064.JPG

Ohhhhhhhh yeah to both, only make 'em 2-in-1 kits (none of this 'later' thinking!).

Also: a mid-'60s Kent Fuller/Don Long-type digger with a blown 392 and, as an option, an Enderle injected SBC for the junior fuel fans.

Thanks Christian for the information about the Hachette Anglia 105E release, which was something that I wasn't aware of. Regarding the possibility of a Cortina, I agree that they would more likely go for the 2-door Lotus or GT version, and not the 4-door. My Dad taught me to drive in his MK1 Ford Cortina 4-door and I passed my driving test at the third attempt.... thanks Dad !

David

On 1/7/2018 at 8:46 PM, Snake45 said:

Yeah , those might qualify. The Dodge WC weapons carrier series might work well for all three. (Well, basically it's just a Jeep all grown up.) I'd do one of those in 1/25 as a hot rod or surf wagon. 

There's a fairly famous photo of one of the WWII German aces--it might have been Pips Priller--with his sports car, IIRC a BMW. I can see that working in all three scales, especially if the 1/35 one were a bit closer to 1/32. 

Found the pic: 

pips-priller-3.jpg

Hasegawa already offers the BMW 327 in 1/48, so some companies already get that some people want period cars to pose with their planes, and I know there are builders of 1/24 fighters who want the same thing, and I pointed them to the classic kits that already exist.  

Heller made a 1/24 BMW 328 which is pretty close,  though if someone wanted to do a 327 as well in that scale, I would be okay with this.

Edited by Richard Bartrop