Model Cars Magazine Forum

Display Cabinet FINISHED!

Merry Xmas everyone!

With me only working half days over the New Year period, I had some time to complete a long awaited project. I bought a whole bunch of stuff from Ikea:

- Billy bookshelf

- Morliden doors

- Extra glass shelves

I also bought some LED strip lights and aluminium extrusions with covers from my local electrical wholesaler. To top it off I got some closed cell foam from Bunnings.

I assembled the bookshelf as per the instructions and then cut to size the LEDs and extrusions. I attached these to the shelves using some simple clips that came with the extrusions. The wiring was simple enough (just soldering +/- to some dual core wire) and the joints were protected with a dab of silicone (not shown in photos). Each shelf then had a length of cable that was run to the bottom of the bookshelf. I paired of each adjacent shelf and ran them all to a connector (no idea what its actually called). After this I just cleaned up the bottom as lets face it most of us are perfectionists here.

Finally I ran the weather stripping foam along the borders (after this I realised I should have used a narrower foam as even though the foam compresses, the door sliding past it is causing it to lift). The lifting isn't an issue yet as its still "dustproof" but I may change it to a narrower foam in the future. Finally I mounted the case to the wall as its front heavy from the doors. A bit of Windex and BAM it is complete.

The rest of my models will be moved in when I finish moving house. Enjoy the pics

bMtQaDg.jpg

yhgUbFW.jpg

nGnTox6.jpg

1QyGsTw.jpg

2 hours ago, DrKerry said:

Wow turned out great!!!!!! What was the total cost involved????

Bookshelf - $90

Doors - $140 ($70 each)

Glass shelves - $72 ($12 each)

LED strip - $45

Aluminium extrusions - $60 (3 @ $20 each)

Closed cell foam - $20

All prices in AUD. So a decent cost associated but I got the exact design I wanted with minimal work. Only difference I would have liked to see, is if the backboard was solid timber/veneer rather than the carboard slide-in panel. The lack of a back panel is what makes it too front heavy.

EDIT - Cable/connectors/silcone etc were my garage consumables

Edited by Mixalz

7 hours ago, Mixalz said:

Bookshelf - $90

Doors - $140 ($70 each)

Glass shelves - $72 ($12 each)

LED strip - $45

Aluminium extrusions - $60 (3 @ $20 each)

Closed cell foam - $20

All prices in AUD. So a decent cost associated but I got the exact design I wanted with minimal work. Only difference I would have liked to see, is if the backboard was solid timber/veneer rather than the carboard slide-in panel. The lack of a back panel is what makes it too front heavy.

EDIT - Cable/connectors/silcone etc were my garage consumables

Kool thank you!!!!!!

7 hours ago, Mixalz said:

Only difference I would have liked to see, is if the backboard was solid timber/veneer rather than the cardboard slide-in panel. The lack of a back panel is what makes it too front heavy.

I also hate those cardboard backboards!   I have a wall unit that had no back board in a section that was supposed to hold a television.  I bought a sheet of 1/4" finished (sanded very fine) plywood and cut my own.  Once stained it matches perfect.

Well I just finished transpodting the rest. Look good in their new home. Gonna be a few years before I even come close to filling it up!!!

dsGbM1b.jpg

On 02/01/2018 at 9:50 AM, skid896 said:

Very nice and I like the builds, we have similar tastes, love the JDM stuff.

JDM & supercars. My favourites