Model Cars Magazine Forum

67 Daytona "Mercury" GT40

Sport Suburban

The more research into the GT40 I dug into. The more interesting facts I learned I just had to build this car. And Fujimi offered it in a kit! Many things about this particular configuration at this race intrigued me. At the 67 Daytona race two GT40 were raced with Mercury on the side were Ford normally was. This was the only race that this happened. Also they were in the mist of updates to the GT40 so this is the MKIIB configuration.

The kit itself is right out of the box but again the decals were really yellow. I commissioned Firebird Designs to reproduce them in white. I need up using two sets stacked on each other to get them really white.

67 Daytona GT40 #3 A.JPG

67 Daytona GT40 #3 B.JPG

67 Daytona GT40 #3 C.JPG

67 Daytona GT40 #3 D.JPG

67 Daytona GT40 #3 H.JPG

On 2/4/2018 at 2:50 PM, Sport Suburban said:

That bubble is to clear the dual quad 427 that was in the MKIIBs.

I do know what it is for, I have just never seen it, so it took me a bit by surprise.  Not that I have seen every GT40 ever made but on a MKII I know the dual quads weren't use as much as the singles.  Not sure that I remember what the issue was but Lee Holman said they tried them and didn't get them to work well until the MKIV's.  He also mentioned that the common clear acrylic trumpet was removed on a number of engines because in some circumstances the engine produced more HP without it.    I did find a photo of this car and was also surprised to see the exhaust painted the same red color.  I also noticed that this one doesn't have the luggage holders. Interesting car to say the least.  Very nice build.

Image result for mercury gt40 engine