Model Cars Magazine Forum

Desirable Reissues

GerN

11 hours ago, Tabbysdaddy said:

They should re-release the Chevy Citation. That would be a hot seller. :D

I remember the first commercial I saw of the Citation and the Ford EXP never thought about models of them.. I would like to see the Chevette reissue.

9 hours ago, slusher said:

I remember the first commercial I saw of the Citation and the Ford EXP never thought about models of them.. I would like to see the Chevette reissue.

I recall them touting the Citation as viable competition or superior to the BMW 320i.  I was even interested but after 6 months the horror stories began to trickle in...   I wish Fujimi would shake loose some of their Enthusiast kits, especially the earlier 911s.  "The tooling is paid for."

What about Bob Glidden's 1978 Pro-Stock Pinto, with stock-building version, of course? Use the MPC molds of the 1978 Pinto hatchback.

Also would love to see MPC's 1978 Chevette, and MPC's "Superfly" Pontiac Grand-Prix.

Edited by PintoKING
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, The Junkman said:

I recall them touting the Citation as viable competition or superior to the BMW 320i.  I was even interested but after 6 months the horror stories began to trickle in...   

The Citation was typical poor quality GM of that era. Between us and my wife’s friend we almost had a Motor Trend like comparison test…

We had a new Nissan Stanza hatchback and our friend bought a Citation at the same time. Looking at them side by side, the Nissan had much better fit and finish. The interior was nice with Japanese ergonomics, like an adjustable mid back bolster on drivers seat, and all the little bins and such you find in a Japanese car. The Citation had a very stark rental car interior.

The Citation was right back at the dealer because within a month of new, the heater core dumped itself on the front carpet!

Over the next few years the Citation was unreliable and spent a lot of time in garages. One thing after another. 

The Stanza was a much better experience. It never broke. It was nicer to drive, better road feel. The only issue we had during our dozen years of ownership was a leaky sunroof.

Our friend finally had enough of the Citation and sold it for $500.  I got $2500 for a 12 year old Stanza with 120k miles!

• Haha 1

Um, yeah.... The Citation wasn't a 4-door coupe. Both the three and five door versions were hatchbacks. Plus the 2-door notch you pictured. The cars themselves were complete POSs. I went looking for a new high output X-11 and was repulsed by the build quality. I wound up with a Fox 5.0 Mustang as my first new car. Say what you want, but it had a series of minor issues when new, and I sold it at 186,xxx miles. Everything worked. The intake had been off, but the heads and oil pan never had. Oh, it was a hatchback. There are still three huge redwood trees in our yard that made the trip home in that hatch as 6-footers.

I will crawl away and cry now that 'Murica (and much of the world) is no longer interested in small-ish practical cars that can handle an occasional trip to Home Depot or Lowe's, 4-5 reasonably sized passengers, and still be fun in the twisties (with a manual transmission).

Edited by Rodent

9 minutes ago, Tom Geiger said:

Ha! We traded a first year Fox Capri V8 on that Nissan. The Capri hatch was useful. I had an entire love seat in it. The car, not so much! Got rid of it at 3 years an 34,000 miles because it was nothing but trouble!

Bought a CHP gauge cluster from a wrecking yard and swapped in the 140 mph speedo. Took a bit of space, but I managed to pin it coming down the hill eastbound 46 coming into the Cholame area where James Dean was killed coming the other direction. Was quite a rush. The Fox cars were kind of uh...   special until 82-85 when there was interest in "power" and "handling" for the first time in a while. Absolutely not saying that they were great cars overall, but I managed to have a good experience with mine.

We have had one Nissan, a 1995 Altima. No money spent on anything other than maintenance items until around 100k. Then everything broke loose. Alternator. Parking brake handle. A/C compressor clutch. Things I have forgotten. At around 138k the top tank of the radiator detached itself at 65 mph on the freeway. By the time the spousal unit was able to pull over, the engine was toast  from running with no coolant.

Not a brand fan. We have had many different cars between us and during our 31 year relationship. Ford. VW. Nissan. Mazda. GMC. Chevrolet. Toyota. Subaru. BMW. We just get whatever suits the need at the time.

7 minutes ago, Tabbysdaddy said:

Unless we're continuing to corrupt the English language, which is usually the case. 

Artistic licence in advertising and marketing . Look at how many vehicles are dubbed "sedan" when they're  2 door , fixed B-pillar models . Same with calling a 4 door hardtop a "sedan" (e.g. , Chevrolet's Sports Sedan full size models ) .

12 minutes ago, Tabbysdaddy said:

Calling a 4 door a coupe doesn't make it a coupe. The main element needed for a coupe is 2 doors. A sedan has 4 doors. Unless we're continuing to corrupt the English language, which is usually the case. 

They’re not just coupes, they’re called Gran Coupes.  At least according to BMW.

I've always been of the opinion that the SUV of today is the station wagon of the past; just with a less spacious rear area and also without the flabby suspension.  Its just that "station wagon" has no panache and anything with "sport" as a description is automatically desirable.

Trying to drag this back on topic, along with my desire for a limited reissue of the Fujimi Enthusiast line, I'd wish for Italeri to bring back their classic '60s Ferrari kits.  275GTB, 250SWB, 365GTB Daytona (most especially the competition model).  I don't know why they haven't.  There's not any real competition on the hobby shop shelves for them.

Edited by The Junkman

On 4/30/2018 at 1:56 PM, GerN said:

For reissues, I'd like the foreign cars done by U.S. companies, primarily the Aurora series which included the Maserati 3500 GT, and also the MPC Fiero, Revell Porsche 928, etc.  

Fiero wasn’t a ‘foreign’ car…

On 10/1/2021 at 12:03 PM, The Junkman said:

I recall them touting the Citation as viable competition or superior to the BMW 320i.  I was even interested but after 6 months the horror stories began to trickle in...   I wish Fujimi would shake loose some of their Enthusiast kits, especially the earlier 911s.  "The tooling is paid for."

They have reissued the early 911s. I picked up a '67 911r last week and have one of the '69 911s kits waiting for me at the hobby shop right now.