Model Cars Magazine Forum

Gamers - 2018

randyc

I searched and only saw a post from 2015.   So... anyone playing racing games?   My son brought his Xbox to my house a couple winters back and we played Forza Horizon.   My son and stepson were playing RealRacing3 on their phones.  So I tried it got kinda hooked.   My son & I played Tourist Trophy and GT4 when he was younger.   I'm on Forza 5 and 7 now.  My wife suggested I get an Xbox1 at Christmas so I did (black Friday special).  My model workbench is in my unheated building, so winter time car fixes are the Xbox. 

I am not that good, but have a great time playing.  And driving the different cars.  Gets me some "car time" when I can't build.  Just wondering who else may be playing.  Now I got to remember to look on here for replies... 

I used to play RR3 on the ipad, got pretty good at it too.

I've picked up a couple of Forza games for my boy's XBox One, but I just don't have the time to devote to get any good at it.

But I play on occasion, and enjoy it.

Ultimately, I'd rather be at the bench playing with plastic, playing my guitars, or being outdoors doing anything.

I enjoy racing games a lot, but do not have the time to devote to them.  I play F1 2010 when I have the chance.  I bought F1 2013 earlier this year.  I goofed around with it a bit, but the learning curve is going to be rather high.  Both are for the PS3.  I would like to move to the PS4, but the cost of a good driving wheel is more than the system.  My driving wheel for the PS3 is not compatible.  I cannot justify that expense.

I have Forza, but cannot drive with the controller. I have plans for a racing seat, wheels and pedals. Wife is blocking it because she knows it will all be sitting in the middle of the floor.

Heck yeah on the racing setup.   That's cool.  I had a nice wheel setup back in 2006, which is compatible with exactly NOTHING now.   lol.   I use the controller with Forza and do okay.  I can get into the top 15% in the time trials and figure that's about it.  

Our current "gaming chair" is a nice old rocker my inherited from her favorite aunt.   When we call it "the gaming chair" it makes her shudder.   We turn it around for gaming or back into the family area for family things.  That's the difference in "gaming chair" versus Aunt Irene's Rocking Chair.   We kid her about bolting some 2x4s onto it to hold a whell and pedal setup.  She is not amused.  

When I lived away from family for a job, I had my son's old PS2 and played GT4 or Toca about every afternoon after work.  I had no other life down there.  BUT I could also build models on the good sofa... bachelor's life sorta.  

My guitars have been in closet for a couple years. More or less gave up on music when the band fell apart - our adult lives got in the way of our Blues Legend dreams.   LOL again.  Thinking about making a hanging rack in spare bedroom just for the guitars to be wall art.  Just don't have time and space for every hobby and a wife that (seemingly)  enjoys my company - was much easier with the ex - she could care less where I was as long as I wasn't speaking to or bothering her.

I kow it's no the same as actually driving a real car, but you at least get to look out over the dash and hood like it would really be.   And if you;re really good, can paint a car up the way you would like to if you did own it.  

Just another way to pass the time.

My go to racing game is GT Legends on the PC, it's old but the graphics still hold up pretty well and I love driving all the old cars. I also gave tons of mods for great use made cars. My other driving game is American Truck Simulator. There is a bit of zen in driving safely and delivering your cargo on time.

1 hour ago, iamsuperdan said:

If I was into it more, and I had the space, I'd be doing this. 

Hit up the junkyard, buy a real dashboard and bucket seat, weld/fab up the controllers.

game2.jpg

But does the A/C work?

4 hours ago, randyc said:

My guitars have been in closet for a couple years. More or less gave up on music when the band fell apart - our adult lives got in the way of our Blues Legend dreams.   LOL again.  Thinking about making a hanging rack in spare bedroom just for the guitars to be wall art.  Just don't have time and space for every hobby and a wife that (seemingly)  enjoys my company - was much easier with the ex - she could care less where I was as long as I wasn't speaking to or bothering her.

So umm...not to sidetrack the gaming thread...

But what guitars have you got and are you selling them? :D

I got hooked on forza from a Christmas years ago my brother got one as a present for the Xbox 360 here I am years later with an Xbox one and most forza games I personally love the franchise it gives me something to do when I don’t know what to do

Way back in the day I played Need For Speed Porches Unleashed, had a force feedback wheel/pedals, played that a ton! Game was a lot of fun, and you could buy cars and upgrade them as you won ‘money’ from the races. It also had a factory driver section that was very tough to advance thru.

On 5/11/2018 at 2:42 PM, iamsuperdan said:

So umm...not to sidetrack the gaming thread...

But what guitars have you got and are you selling them? :D

Nothing of any real value.  First year Squier Classic vibe 60s strat.  my favorite.   95 or 96 Lake Placid Blue Mexi Strat.  Bought by my wife for my birthday first year we were together - like 2014.   I had been trying to buy it for a year til the guy at the music store finally came to MY price.  A nice yamaha bass given to me by a close friend of my dad's after my dad passed away.   A very cheap LP copy I bought for $30 at a yard sale - plays great.  I think that's it for what I have in my possesion.  My son has my 66 Musicmaster and my 95 Mexi strat.   I have an Aspen (not much history on those) Strat.  Has a very narrow neck, but has been a great slide guitar.  My son has more than I do but even he doesn't play as much as he used to. He is a pianist now which takes up most of his time.  I have a Roland 30 cube amp, too. Have no desire to sell any of them currently.   They comfort me just being in the closet.  LOL

I was the drummer in our band (that's my training), but used the guitars to noodle around on and arrange some of our songs.  Easier on everyone to play guitar than to practice drums alone. 

Musical instruments would be a good "off topic" thread as well.   Bet some folks here have some really nice stuff.   

I played casually on my son's PS2, but was laid up with a broken (casted) wrist from motorcycle crash and the doctor said gaming would at least help keep my fingers moving.  And I really liked playing Tourist Trophy with the motorcycles.   Shame that didn't catch on better.

I had NASCAR racing 4 (?)  on PC way back - that's when I had a good wheel/pedal setup.  Bought it as a way to pass the time when wife & I were separated and I could buy crazy stuff for myself.  I also bought and built a 1/12 scale Tamiya Porsche 935 (martini) - my most expensive kit to date at $75 at the time.  Fun build too.

On 5/15/2018 at 5:17 PM, Lucas van H said:

Xbox One user here, Play some Forza Horizon and Motorsport 7,

Gamertag is NL Lucas 045 

RandoCar9916 is mine.  I'll try to add you next time I get on.  

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/15/2018 at 5:17 PM, Lucas van H said:

Xbox One user here, Play some Forza Horizon and Motorsport 7,

Gamertag is NL Lucas 045 

I added you.   Your drivatar is tough and fast.    

• 2 weeks later...

I have a question for you gamer guys........ I've been looking at getting a PS3, so I've been reading up on them. It seems that the original "fat" PS3 is backward compatible, meaning it will play PS1 and PS2 games...... but the slim models aren't. Is this correct? I want to be able to play the older games on the newer system.........

I mastered Gran Turismo 2 on the PS1, by the way! Love the illusion of speed with the graphics..........

4 hours ago, JollySipper said:

I have a question for you gamer guys........ I've been looking at getting a PS3, so I've been reading up on them. It seems that the original "fat" PS3 is backward compatible, meaning it will play PS1 and PS2 games...... but the slim models aren't. Is this correct? I want to be able to play the older games on the newer system.........

I mastered Gran Turismo 2 on the PS1, by the way! Love the illusion of speed with the graphics..........

The early models of the PS3 were backward compatible with the PS2.  I don't know about the PS1.  Our kids did not start playing on the Playstation until the PS2.  They had the Sega Dreamcast.  The later versions of the PS3 were not backward compatible.  We had the backward compatible version and it went on the fritz and stopped working.  The second PS3 we bought was a fat type as well, but not backward compatible.  You will have to be careful and make sure you are buying a backward compatible system.