Model Cars Magazine Forum

Isn't it time....

khier

55 minutes ago, StevenGuthmiller said:

It is, or at least should be, all about discussion on these forums.

We don't always need to be in agreement, but we can always be civilized & open to others opinions. ^_^

And so should it be in the rest of the world...but anyone who's the least bit aware will know that this is not always the case, even in this country, and the idea has been eroding for decades.

17 hours ago, Luc Janssens said:

No not realy, Lee is living in the past, he's "thinks" that if Japanese model companies today design kits of US vehicles, they will be motorised or disproportioned.

A lot of asuming there....while in fact we don't know anything (except maybe guys like Jonathan Stevens ;)

I never said anything of the sort. I merely stated no Japanese company is currently making US subjects.

44 minutes ago, Classicgas said:

I never said anything of the sort. I merely stated no Japanese company is currently making US subjects.

Did a a little back tracking, and you're right, hmm...two things could've happended

- not enough coffee

- too much coffee

12 hours ago, edboys said:

2. In the past I have purchased this US kit (Revell's Don Prudhomme 1/16th front engine dragster) when it was first released for about $16.00. Subsequently the mold was transfered to Revell of Germany. They produced the same kit with different decals and it sold here in the US for over $45.00.

Revell/Germany did the same with the Revell Snap kit of the 2005 Chevy Impala police car.  The original kit had stickers, not decals, and retailed for anywhere from US $12 to $20. RoG threw in a set of real decals and  jacked up the price to around US $30.  Not long ago, the original kit was being blown out at Ollie's for $7.99.

RoG has done that for years with 1/35 scale military kits.  They've reissued several kits from ICM (in Ukraine), CMK (Czech) and others, with nothing but a new decal sheet and a higher price.  But there was one truly weird 1/35 kit: RoG re-issued the Italeri M977 HEMTT 10-ton truck, and included a pallet of missiles from the Dragon Multiple Launch Rocket System (MLRS) as a load for the bed.  I'm guessing they just bought the parts from Dragon.  The parts trees were in 2 different colors.

Edited by Mike999
error

13 hours ago, edboys said:

Hmm, shared some info and got my hand slapped for it. Hmmm.

1. The info I got concerning the 'new' owners of Revell having to reduce inventory already in the pipe line came from my local hobby shop owner who deals with distributors on a daily basis and I would think he would know. I would rely on his word than any of the wild rumors heard anywhere else.

2. In the past I have purchased this US kit (Revell's Don Prudhomme 1/16th front engine dragster) when it was first released for about $16.00. Subsequently the mold was transfered to Revell of Germany. They produced the same kit with different decals and it sold here in the US for over $45.00.

3. Try purchasing any RofG kits and they are on average higher than similar US kits. The new VW bus is well over $80.00. Recent re-issues of US Revell's 1/16th drag race kits have escalated over the years, but they still don't come close to the price of that FE dragster RofG did years ago, adjusted for inflation.

I don't care what anybody says, Revell of Germany kits are more expensive than US kits. And, I wouldn't be surprised if the new company if based in Germany that the difference will continue as import fees apply here. Who knows maybe Trump will add yet another tariff on models produced outside of the US in order to save........Oh wait there may not be a US manufacturer anymore. OH WELL.

I have over 800 kits so I'm not in any hurry to acquire anything except newly tooled kits. If the new company can eventually produce new tools in the future then those kits will find their way into my collection for future builds. I hope the new company can proceed as quickly as possible.

Keep politics out of it.

2 hours ago, Classicgas said:

Keep politics out of it.

Yes, remember to keep politics out of your discussions/arguments. It is a scientific fact that by the third comment WW III is about to break out.

5 minutes ago, SfanGoch said:

The only part you got right is that RoG kits are more expensive.

It's the same here, just the opposite way round. US Revell boxings of regular kits are usually in the £25-£30 range, whereas Revell Germany kits are more like £17-£23, depending how new they are... And Round 2/Moebius/AMT kits are more like £30-40...

best,

M.

1 hour ago, SfanGoch said:

The only part you got right is that RoG kits are more expensive. So are the RoG reissues of Revell USA kits. Why? Because RoG can. End of story. RoG does peddle re-boxed older Dragon armor, which are priced for a lot less than the DML kits, though. Regarding import fees, there are no customs duties or import fees imposed on toys shipped from outside the U.S. Model kits are considered toys; so, they are exempt.

This is not my post Joe, 

18 hours ago, edboys said:

don't care what anybody says, Revell of Germany kits are more expensive than US kits. And, I wouldn't be surprised if the new company if based in Germany that the difference will continue as import fees apply here.

The only part you got right is that RoG kits are more expensive. So are the RoG reissues of Revell USA kits. Why? Because RoG can. End of story. RoG does peddle re-boxed older Dragon armor, which are priced for a lot less than the DML kits, though. Regarding import fees, there are no customs duties or import fees imposed on toys shipped from outside the U.S. Model kits are considered toys; so, they are exempt.

2 hours ago, Sledsel said:

If the 58 Ford was done, i would hope they fix all the screw ups on the '57's body and interior. Tired of correcting and hacking up AMT 57's......just sayin

Good luck.

I'm not the type of guy that pays as much attention to these types of details as others do, but I don't remember the last new kit that came out without complaints.

Personally, I think they're all wonderful!

I'm just glad to have them.

Steve

Revell Germany can also sent bagged shots to and have them wrapped in the US...it happened before the implosion of Hobbico and can happen again...also Revell Germany nor the investment company had anything to do with the bankrupty of Hobbico..so why the bad blood?

On 6/2/2018 at 4:11 PM, StevenGuthmiller said:

Good luck.

I'm not the type of guy that pays as much attention to these types of details as others do, but I don't remember the last new kit that came out without complaints.

Personally, I think they're all wonderful!

I'm just glad to have them.

Steve

I understand there is not a perfect kit, a little flaw here or there is not an issue. but when you cannot look at a kit from any side, front, back, left, right or inside and not see a flaw, I have an issue.

They did nice kits in the 60's and 70's.... what happened?

Edited by Sledsel

34 minutes ago, Sledsel said:

I understand there is not a perfect kit, a little flaw here or there is not an issue. but when you cannot look at a kit from any side, front, back, left, right or inside and not see a flaw, I have an issue.

It was a lot easier doing the annual kit bodies back then.

The kit manufacturers had full cooperation and plans from the auto companies.

Now, any new models of older automobiles are basically worked up from photos & taking as many measurements as possible from an existing car.

It's a whole different ball of wax now.

A lot of the old annual kits were manufactured at the same time, or possibly even before the real car hit the showrooms.

There is some evidence of this when you look at some of the mistakes made on some of those models.

As an example, the AMT 1958 Pontiac Bonneville has the incorrect "Pontiac" script on the front of the hood instead of the correct "Bonneville" lettering.

Also, there are five "vent moldings" on the lower front fender rather than the correct four.

Just blunders?

Possibly.

But more likely is the probability that these were late changes to the real car that were too late to change on the model's molds.

So, as you would guess, it's infinitely easier to get a correct rendition of an automobile when you have access to the auto manufacturers plans than it is to get everything absolutely correct when doing all of the measuring yourself.

Steve

Edited by StevenGuthmiller

• 2 weeks later...

The basic problem is demographics; no younger kids are entering the hobby. $20+ each is a bit much to buy several kits. An hour at McDonald's used to buy you a kit, but not today. Kits were sold everywhere back in the '1970s.

Also, the auto companies helped subsidize the development of kits in the beginning. That's gone.

Who knows how the Revell situation will turn out. Maybe better, or not.

On 6/5/2018 at 1:20 AM, Sledsel said:

They used to work with 1/10 wooden models from a car company. Then to a pantograph. Probably what happened.

4 hours ago, Bob Ellis said:

The basic problem is demographics; no younger kids are entering the hobby. $20+ each is a bit much to buy several kits. An hour at McDonald's used to buy you a kit, but not today.

An hour at a minimum wage job has never bought a model in lifetime. My first job was $4.36/hr - which was a whole 11 cents over the actual minimum wage. Model kits were $7 by 1996. You might be able to find a $4 kit on clearance at like an Ames or KMART if you were lucky. 

Edited by niteowl7710