Model Cars Magazine Forum

Ford Thunderbird SC

ivandrago

Hello . I am new here. This is my first construction of the model after 15 years of break.
I hope that with your help I will complete the model without serious mistakes.
I started preparing for the undercoat painting.

HIcE3Rh.jpg?2

GIjfx7P.jpg?2

lY1xRFr.jpg?1

LGBpkxb.jpg?2

JuuRNud.jpg?1

9VJdB6V.jpg?1

Edited by ivandrago

Welcome to the forum Łukaszu!  Good to see you get back in the hobby.  I'm sure you'll get plenty of good advice from the forum's members.

I can't help noticing that you have unmistakably Polish name, and you have your location listed as Bristol.  Is that in UK?

Edited by peteski

Because this is the Thunderbird SC, the SC refers to Super Coupe. This would have been factory with the Yamaha built Supercharged V6 engine. These were way more powerful that the 5.0L from the Mustang. I have driven these cars and they are fast. My favorite memory of these cars is that the hood is really big, the rear suspension is rather soft. When you hit the throttle to the floor and accelerated hard, the rear would drop, the front would rise and all you could see in front of you was the huge hood. Lots of fun to drive. I worked for the Ford dealer when these were new. 

4 minutes ago, Oldmopars said:

Because this is the Thunderbird SC, the SC refers to Super Coupe. This would have been factory with the Yamaha built Supercharged V6 engine. These were way more powerful that the 5.0L from the Mustang. I have driven these cars and they are fast. My favorite memory of these cars is that the hood is really big, the rear suspension is rather soft. When you hit the throttle to the floor and accelerated hard, the rear would drop, the front would rise and all you could see in front of you was the huge hood. Lots of fun to drive. I worked for the Ford dealer when these were new. 

same engine as the SHO?

3 minutes ago, Scalper said:

same engine as the SHO?

I just looked it up, it was not Yamaha like the SHO, it was the Essex 3.8l V6. and had 210HP 315FT/LB torque. Cool car for the day when everything else could not get out of its own way.

Edited by Oldmopars

23 minutes ago, Scalper said:

same engine as the SHO?

The Yamaha engine was the one used in the Taurus SHO it was a DOHC 60* V6, it wasn't used in the SC. The SC used the Canadian produced 3.8l "Essex", 90* V6 pushrod engine.
Super Charged

Super Coupe

Super Chicken

This was the car of many names. But I don't think Mustang buyers of the time were worried about the 5 to 20 hp difference.

Edited by dshue76

I forgot all about the stock Thunderbird SC kits. I will be following to see how it comes together. I always passed on these when they were new, I was more interested in the NASCAR versions at the time, but I may have to track one of these down.

17 hours ago, peteski said:

Łukasz, "worm" means "robak". I think that you meant to write "warm" or "ciepłe". Silly English language . . . :D

Thanks . I have not noticed . I wrote with phones and he predicts and corrects the text automatically :(

I'm not sure what direction you plan for your build and many have offered a lot of technical background on the Thunderbird. One of the sources that I often use if I'm trying to stay real close to stock is Collectible Automobile. The magazine is a bimonthly and offers a lot of background information about the featured cars and what was going on within the companies at the time. You may not be able to find it on your newsstand locally, you might try w.w.w.collectibleautomobile.com and see if they offer any information on line. The reason I'm suggesting this to you is that I just finished the October 2018 issue and one of the cars they're profiling is the '89 - '97 Ford Thunderbird. This may offer you some information that could help you with your build.   

Welcome aboard!

Love these cars and kits. I must have at least a dozen kits laying around. This is the first time I've seen this box, though. Is it a 89-91 or 92? The taillights on the early ones have a flat top edge; the 92 has a top edge that curves downward to the license plate area. I had a full-size 92 for a few years - what a great car.

Another resource for the car is the Super Coupe Club of America at sccoa.com .

Oh by the way, if you see the Revell Lowrider version of the SC, don't turn your nose up at it. It is the regular 92 SC kit molded in white with additional decals and a bag of lowrider wheels and tires. You can build any version of 3 (stock, custom/aero, and lowrider). Still haven't used any of the lowrider parts.

Edited by SSNJim

Interesting kit, not one I would choose but keen to see how you go with it.

I would build it quick and get it done, I tried to build my first (and second) model to be as good as I could get it and it took me really long and frustrated me a bit.

Finishing the model kit's felt great and I enjoy looking over them now, even with the faults, there are so many other kits that you can build when you have finished this one :)

But, it's your model, build it like you want to!

On 31/08/2018 at 11:07 AM, shaunmza said:

Interesting kit, not one I would choose but keen to see how you go with it.

I would build it quick and get it done, I tried to build my first (and second) model to be as good as I could get it and it took me really long and frustrated me a bit.

Finishing the model kit's felt great and I enjoy looking over them now, even with the faults, there are so many other kits that you can build when you have finished this one :)

But, it's your model, build it like you want to!

i think i will do that . i have 12 others models waiting too ;)

I think what color to paint the car and interior.
I want to do it in black and silver, but I do not know if in this version the car had a beige interior.

Thunderbird-SC-4.jpg

Edited by ivandrago