Model Cars Magazine Forum

Atlantis Model & The Ex-Monogram/Revell/Aurora/Renwal Molds

11 minutes ago, Snake45 said:

That "8" Howitzer" sounds familiar. I think I might have had that as a kid, too. 

Here's a fun page about the Aurora 1/48 artillery kits, including that 8-inch howitzer.  One kit in here that I've never seen but sure hope Atlantis re-issues:  the totally fictional but also totally cool M-8 Cargo Carrier with a Lacrosse missile launcher mounted on top.  What a great post-apocalyptic anti-zombie weapon!

http://modelarchives.free.fr/archives_P/Aurora48AFV_P/Aurora48AFV_kit_P/AuroraAFV48_USguns.html

img21.jpg

I had this version

image.jpeg.9e2577ca3d5e6ef6b03dd17b9b80d763.jpeg

Used it in Anzio landing project six of my friends and I presented (as a way to kill the entire school day. Sr. Grace knew what we were perpetrating; but, let us do it anyway. She appreciated our ingenuity. :D ) in seventh grade. It was a pretty nice kit.

I'm getting quite excited about this Atlantis news. Looking through my Thomas Graham books for bothe Aurora and Revell's history if we are lucky there may be a number of these old kits that may become available over the next few years, the Convair ShuttleCraft kit is listed by Graham as $200+ in the collector market, I built the Atlas/gantry kit as a kid and while my build is long gone I look forward to building it again and as I recall it takes up a fair amount of shelf space. Aurora had a fair number of 48th scale armour kits and they were well done and included such rare beasts as the Swedish S tank. I hope Atlantis sells enough of these old kits that Revell's new owners regret abandoning these molds.

Thanks for posting that price list. Lots of classic Aurora kits on the table. I just asked Pete about the Invaders UFO on FB.  Ebay sellers asking two bills for the 2015 re-issue are gonna take a beating. Who woulda thunk that it took a bankruptcy to let this great stuff see light of day again?

3 hours ago, robertw said:

...Aurora had a fair number of 48th scale armour kits and they were well done and included such rare beasts as the Swedish S tank..

Aurora did the even more rare MBT-70 in 1/48.  The joint US-German tank project in the 1970s.  That was the only plastic model of that tank in existence until a couple of years ago, when Dragon/DML did it in 1/35 scale. 

Lots of great old stuff on that list.  Looking forward to them, even if my wallet is not...

MBT-70.jpg

2 hours ago, Mike999 said:

Aurora did the even more rare MBT-70 in 1/48.  The joint US-German tank project in the 1970s.  That was the only plastic model of that tank in existence until a couple of years ago, when Dragon/DML did it in 1/35 scale. 

Lots of great old stuff on that list.  Looking forward to them, even if my wallet is not...

MBT-70.jpg

I saw that unbuilt kit at a local flea market about a year ago. Price was reasonable, too--I think about $20. I should have bought it. 

On 11/2/2018 at 1:23 PM, Casey said:

Fingers crossed. No licensing required beyond Tom Daniel. :)

roarnpeace.jpg.baf3b626c511bdb0b2530bc01b53f554.jpg

leaphog.jpg.f0c8281ddb0f863ce22af74799b089a5.jpg

Those rights are owned by Daniel Intellectual Property (aka Tom Daniel). I happen to know that He is working with Atlantis to reissue any of his kits and has already received some test shots from them .

2 hours ago, Mr mopar said:

I'm hoping for this one ? some  day soon .

1151517-26866-63-pristine.jpg

Never saw that before. Is the body anywhere near 1/25? That is, could that body be used on a Manx frame? There were a LOT of clone, ripoff, and me-too dune buggy makers for a while there back in the day. If the body's anywhere near the right size, it could make an interesting dune buggy variation. 

1 hour ago, Snake45 said:

Never saw that before. Is the body anywhere near 1/25? That is, could that body be used on a Manx frame? There were a LOT of clone, ripoff, and me-too dune buggy makers for a while there back in the day. If the body's anywhere near the right size, it could make an interesting dune buggy variation. 

it's more inline of 1/32 and it's distorted a bit.

39 minutes ago, Mr mopar said:

it's distorted a bit.

I painted the body on this one, and repaired a broken axle or two--a big issue on these kits, given the torsional forces acting upon the rear axle due to the unsupported front end.

3004f9a7-b54a-473b-b964-8a03649cbf04.jpg

Edited by Casey

• 2 weeks later...

Oh boy! I can't wait. I've been wanting the Ghost of the Red Baron forever. Missed it the first time it was out. (I don't think my mother would have approved of that one at the time. But since she's gone, I don't think she'll object too much now.)

I'm glad to hear that Tom Daniel and Atlantis are working together to get some of his other kits back on the market. Maybe there is hope of seeing the Poison Pinto (the green version, please) and Mean Maverick hit the shelves again one day.  

• 1 month later...
On 9/19/2018 at 10:16 PM, horsepower said:

Maybe there's that rare two bodied '34 Ford coupe in there!?

Awesome thought, but Monogram management at the time scrapped anything similar to what they already had. I'd hazard a guess they scrapped 90 percent of the Aurora tools,  including that cool double 34 Ford Coupe tool.

On 10/16/2018 at 4:24 AM, Bugatti Fan said:

Only serious collectors are willing enough to shell out ridiculous amounts of cash for old plastic kits that in all probability will never be built, and end up in landfill after their demise!

Serious .modellers on the other hand will either wait for the reissue, or actually enjoy getting and building that perceived rare kit and doing what the kit was designed for!

Counterpoint. Oftentimes those old kits cant be reissued, either in the original form, or possibly not at all. The tools may have been modified or scrapped. Also, those Collectible kits seldom end up in the landfill these days. I'm a builder and a collector. I prefer original issue kits for a variety of reasons, but generally only build the basket case ones, or do restorations (or in many cases preservations). 95 percent of this build is 59 year old plastic.

20190101_203745.jpg