Model Cars Magazine Forum

Atlantis Model & The Ex-Monogram/Revell/Aurora/Renwal Molds

On 10/26/2018 at 3:14 PM, Dave Van said:

I'll take a case of Unreal please.........

Atlantis may take a page from Hasagawa with the coming Caddy low rider kit.......calling it Low Rider 'C'......thus no license fee I guess....

So true. Tired of the corporate lawyers screwing with the hobby. Us older gen guys know what the car is, so just do a Hasegawa, and  don't use the name. It's been done before, I believe. As long as the online vendor can use pictures when showing product line, it would be do-able. And for those that cannot, word of mouth will help. 
Todays kit manufacturers are such small fry compared to the automotive corporations and their legal teams.

This was just posted in a Sci Fi site.....

More from Atlantis to reissue next year:

Atlas Missile with Gantry – 1:110 scale formerly Revell
Convair Space Shuttlecraft – 1:150 scale formerly Revell
B-52 and X-15 with swivel stand 1:135 scale – formerly Revell
S2F Hunter Killer 1:54 scale – formerly Aurora
P3A Orion with swivel stand 1:115 scale – formerly Revell
B-25 Flying Dragon with swivel stand 1:64 scale – formerly Revell
P6M Seamaster with swivel stand 1:136 scale – formerly Revell
B-24J Bomber Buffalo Bill with swivel stand 1:92 scale – formerly Revell
Jolly Green Giant Helecopter 1:72 scale – formerly Aurora
Fire Rescue Helecopter snap kit 1:72 scale – formerly Monogram
727 Whisper Jet Airliner Pan Am – 1:96 scale – formerly Aurora
Automotive

Mobile Gas Truck 1:48 scale – formerly Revell
Military

German Tiger Tank 1:48 – formerly Aurora
US Army Howitzer 8″ 1:48 scale – formerly Aurora
British Churchill Tank 1:48 scale – formerly Aurora
Ships

USS Pitsburgh CA-72 Heavy Cruiser 1:480 – formerly Revell
USS Forrest Sherman Destroyer 1:319 – formerlyRevell
USS Iowa Battleship 1:535 – formerly Revell (previously announced)
Other

Allison Turbo Prop Engine 1:10 scale – formerly Revell

3 hours ago, Dave Van said:

Mobil Gas Truck 1:48 scale – formerly Revell

Well, it's a start. I guess licensing a White wasn't as hard. I have one of the recent issues of this kit; the tank has a slight warp but it's fixable.

Maybe find a 1/48 Allison engine and build it as the Jim Lytle/Tex Collins Bad Brahma Bull?

5bd682ff8d3ae_Whiteallison.jpg.09ea16d8896b1dbed750e17ac6038084.jpg

(image from Hemmings Daily blog)

Edited by ChrisBcritter

11 hours ago, Dave Van said:

This was just posted in a Sci Fi site.....

Why not just mention it was posted at CULTTVMAN ?

If these kits are any indication of of what molds Atlantis obtained, we're in for some real pleasant surprises.

8 hours ago, Mr mopar said:

Not much on that list ?

There are plenty of cool kits. The Atlas, Convair Shuttlecraft, the Aurora 727, Jolly Green Giant helicopter and Revell planes, ships, etc. Plus, Atlantis mentioned on its FB page that it's going to re-release the Invaders UFO sometime later this year/early 2019. The last time it was re-issued was in 2015 and is going for insane money.

8 hours ago, Daddyfink said:

Looks like the collector market is about to take a hit! 

Big time Roger on that, Jesse. Gasoline Alley and Old Model Kits are going to take a beating on their sales.

11 hours ago, Daddyfink said:

Looks like the collector market is about to take a hit! 

Not to open that can of worms again, but if I wanted as original, a reissue wouldn't suffice. Now, the average price of an original will likely decrease due to the availability of a reissue, but I don't think Atlantis is going to be able to use the Monogram, Revell, Aurora, etc. logos, so the new boxes should be branded with Atlantis' logo, which, if true, would kill the authentic look of the box alone. I'm sure some could care less (insert builder vs. collectors debate jab here), but to some the details matter.

I hope the announcement of the 1/48 White Mobil tanker trailer isn't a bit of foreshadowing, and the 1/48 ex-Revell '55(?) Ford pickup and Chevy Two-Ton stakebed kits are next. 

Edited by Casey

Most people wanting to build the kit will be okay with the reissues.  Collectors will still want the originals, but they had better be in mint condition from here on out.  The reissues will deflate the value of all of the started/partial/project kits that are sure to clog eBay over the next few months...

32 minutes ago, Casey said:

Not to open that can of worms again, but if I wanted as original, a reissue wouldn't suffice. Now, the average price of an original will likely decrease due to the availability of a reissue, but I don't think Atlantis is going to be able to use the Monogram, Revell, Aurora, etc. logos, so the new boxes should be branded with Atlantis' logo, which, if true, would kill the authentic look of the box alone. I'm sure some could care less (insert builder vs. collectors debate jab here), but to some the details matter.

I hope the announcement of the 1/48 White Mobil tanker trailer isn't a bit of foreshadowing, and the 1/48 ex-Revell '55(?) Ford pickup and Chevy Two-Ton stakebed kits are next. 

You go do whatever you want.  Go pile your money in the back yard and make a bonfire, if that's what makes you happy.

I guess this means I'm not a "serious" modeler, but there's a limit on how much I'm prepared to blow on a kit, and if I can get it without paying collector kit prices, I can live with a re-issue.   I buy kits to built.

That's an interesting list. I've become a fan of building a lot of these old kits and odd scales ( I blame it on the long number of years that I've been building) so I can see me hunting down a number of these kits. The Aurora armour kits were not as detailed as todays 1/35 kits but are nicely done and are fun to build as a stress reliever between more complex builds.

12 minutes ago, robertw said:

The Aurora armour kits were not as detailed as todays 1/35 kits but are nicely done and are fun to build as a stress reliever between more complex builds.

They sure were fun!  I remember when those armor kits were released in the Aurora big square boxes, with a vac-u-formed diorama base inside.  That was in the '70's, when dioramas were getting big.  About the same time Shep Paine did those great "how to build a diorama" inserts for the Monogram kits.

I'm looking forward to some of these. I have a couple original Auroras and/or reissued Revells from the '80s or so but will probably buy a few more. 

I never knew Aurora did a "Tiger Tank" in their line, though I had their Panther at one time (and I think I still have a British Centurion to this day). Googled it and it's true--it's a Tiger II "King Tiger." Might have to get one of those. 

That "8" Howitzer" sounds familiar. I think I might have had that as a kid, too.