Model Cars Magazine Forum

Throwing in the towel. Need some advice

6 hours ago, crazyjim said:

Keep the tools and dump the kits.

I did the same back in the late 1990's, due to a house move and a new business venture, I knew I just wouldn't have anytime for building model, or anywhere to build them or even store them, but I kept all my tools and find\jars of paints, luckily I got back into the hobby around 15 years ago..

On 10/1/2018 at 6:04 PM, Dave Ambrose said:

Have you tried including your children in your building? I had my daughter do detail painting when she was young. It was great time together, and she’s still an excellent painter. 

This is a good idea,  talk about a great way to bond with your kids,  my daughter is getting closer to being old enough , and she loves painting.  I am kind of surprised no one else even acknowledged your post.

• 3 years later...

Bumping an old thread because... Im back!

Well, sort of. Its almost lunar new year so we were doing the annual deep house clean and I like to also go through the garage and clean ( and I use that word lightly because its not really a garage but a workshop) up. During that process my now 5 year old son discovered my box of kits I saved for either me getting back into the hobby, or for him if he were to be interested later. 

My son LOVES cars, and racing. We have been watching F1 for the last few years, we have been to a few small events. Hes addicted so much earlier than I was haha. My father in law gave me his Nissan pickup and my son knows that it is his truck once hes old enough, so he LOVES Nissans. One of the kits he found was an Aoshima S13 with the SR20. So after cleaning up, I had to then dig all the tools and supplies I saved (on the advice of many of you here, thank you!) and started taking a lsit of what I had/needed.

We also took a trip to the LHS and we bought his first kit. A Snap-Tite Fire Engine. We built, played and broke the thing in like an hour. Pretty much exactly how I expected it all to go. Hes still a bit to young for all the paint and glue and he knows that. He just really wants the car built and in a case to display in his playroom. So here we go! 

Also, if anyone was interested. I packed up every single kit, part, book, and sent it off to some LHS in some other state and the guy stocked his store with it all. I did keep all my tools.

Cheers!

spacer.png

• Like 3

4 hours ago, vincen47 said:

Welcome back!

But, more importantly, let’s all welcome your son into the hobby -  

Quite possibly the best outcome of all.

Yes, super cool. Though not surprising. Should be fun times when we can build together.

Ha ha awesome. This is exactly how I got back in to modelling after years of schooling and marriage.

Helped my boy make a customize an RC truck body and it lead to going to hobby stores, making a kit together and then I just went from there

I am glad you kept some equipment to make the re-entry a bit easier and less costly

They are doing some great things with electric radio controlled stuff, might take a look at it for your son...Losi and those brands, not the big box store junk.

1 hour ago, Twokidsnosleep said:

Ha ha awesome. This is exactly how I got back in to modelling after years of schooling and marriage.

Helped my boy make a customize an RC truck body and it lead to going to hobby stores, making a kit together and then I just went from there

I am glad you kept some equipment to make the re-entry a bit easier and less costly

They are doing some great things with electric radio controlled stuff, might take a look at it for your son...Losi and those brands, not the big box store junk.

I used to work at a LHS so I am pretty familiar with RC. At least enough to know what is decent. Well see how that goes. I think he's more into trains. I'm shopping for a simple out of the box kit for him for now to hold him off for a few years. Assuming I am still building over the next year or so I figure ill let him have a crack at the airbrush. Give him some wood model kits to paint with brushes, and go from there. Wood glue is so much easier to deal with than Ca with a 5 year old haha.

• Like 1

Shoot growing up I had the beginning of console gaming, infancy of computer gaming (Test Drive on 82 floppy disks for the Commodore 128), and by the time I got to H.S. the dawn of the WWW.

You either get bitten by this hobby or you don't, stop blaming whatever thing you "don't get" for someone not liking the same thing you do.

On 2/2/2022 at 1:32 AM, Oldcarfan27 said:

Just keep him away from the video games, or you'll lose him forever! 😒

Oddly enough, I think my wife feels the same about my model building, this time of year my weekends are spent holed up in my model room, haha…

• Like 1

On 1/30/2022 at 10:02 PM, Project510 said:

Bumping an old thread because... Im back!

Well, sort of. Its almost lunar new year so we were doing the annual deep house clean and I like to also go through the garage and clean ( and I use that word lightly because its not really a garage but a workshop) up. During that process my now 5 year old son discovered my box of kits I saved for either me getting back into the hobby, or for him if he were to be interested later. 

My son LOVES cars, and racing. We have been watching F1 for the last few years, we have been to a few small events. Hes addicted so much earlier than I was haha. My father in law gave me his Nissan pickup and my son knows that it is his truck once hes old enough, so he LOVES Nissans. One of the kits he found was an Aoshima S13 with the SR20. So after cleaning up, I had to then dig all the tools and supplies I saved (on the advice of many of you here, thank you!) and started taking a lsit of what I had/needed.

We also took a trip to the LHS and we bought his first kit. A Snap-Tite Fire Engine. We built, played and broke the thing in like an hour. Pretty much exactly how I expected it all to go. Hes still a bit to young for all the paint and glue and he knows that. He just really wants the car built and in a case to display in his playroom. So here we go! 

Also, if anyone was interested. I packed up every single kit, part, book, and sent it off to some LHS in some other state and the guy stocked his store with it all. I did keep all my tools.

Cheers!

spacer.png

Good! I'm happy for you. My son turns two at the end of the month and I'm now where you were. Because of him and job commitments I get an hour from 12-1am to do anything. I'm going the other way though and building my workshop up and learning more and more techniques so when he is ready we can do what you are doing now. Makes me happy to see someone else with a similar plan succeed!

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Dioguy said:

Good! I'm happy for you. My son turns two at the end of the month and I'm now where you were. Because of him and job commitments I get an hour from 12-1am to do anything. I'm going the other way though and building my workshop up and learning more and more techniques so when he is ready we can do what you are doing now. Makes me happy to see someone else with a similar plan succeed!

Its hectic but you can do it! A good friend told me during a recent talk (he has 4 kids) that he takes any free time he can. 15 minutes here 40 there. Thats a bit harder with model cars because of glue and paint and the cleanup, but you gt the idea. You just have to plan more. Good luck to you!

I kept all my tools, air brushes, compressor and was very selective about what kits I would keep.

Just as I retired, I converted the rear half of my garage into a small studio/workshop and further invested in a small lathe and milling machine. There were times when I was working in an engineering management role and my time was either very limited or non existent to pursue my hobby, and I often felt like selling off all my hobby stuff. Glad I did not as I now spend many happy hours in my Man Cave as my wife calls it, and it keeps me out from under her feet during the day.

My advice is never sell off all your model making stuff. Stash it away somewhere as there will come a time when you will want to return to it and not have to start all over with the expense of it all.

• Thanks 1