Model Cars Magazine Forum

Porsche Cayman S, Fujimi, 1/24

Matt Bacon

Another quicky between battles with 1/72 Classic 70s Jets. It's a simple kit from Fujimi, with no real engine detail (although a nice bit of moulding on the one piece chassis plus a few suspension parts make for a pretty convincing undercarriage) and crisply moulded interior with few components but good detail for painting. Fit is stellar, and the only hassle (albeit a BIG one) was the red of the plastic bleeding through primer and my first attempt at the grey, leached out by the solvent in the clear Zero 2K Diamond clear. So it went straight into IPA overnight, and second time around I gave it a coat of yucky Zero sealer before applying primer. Colour scheme is based on a 911 I've seen locally, using SportLeicht Grey from Zero Paints and Vallejo Rojo Fiero for the leather interior...

cayman-front-left-24mm-hero.jpg

cayman-left-side.jpg

cayman-rear-left-corner.jpg

cayman-low-front-right-corner-24mm.jpg

cayman-rear-right-turning-away-24mm.jpg

cayman-front-right-corner.jpg

cayman-left-profile.jpg

cayman-high-rear-right-corner.jpg

cayman-high-left-almost-profile.jpg

cayman-in-your-face.jpg

It may not be Porsche's best-loved car, but the Cayman S and GT4 are pretty hard to beat, I reckon!

best,

M.

Thanks, all...it's a very nice kit... just see if you can find one that's not moulded in red, or paint it in a red colour scheme!

The wheels are actually Plamoz aftermarket items, and the stripes don't come in the kit, but I thought it looked a bit stark in pure grey. If I'd had some red ones, I'd have used those, I think...

All the best,

M.

Thanks, guys, much appreciated.

I can't see any difference between the regular (yellow) Cayman, in this box:

10058037.jpg

and the S that I built apart from the wheels. I thought the side intake strakes/grilles might be different (the Caymans I see in real life mostly have three vertical "gills" rather than a grid like the kit), but the instructions look identical. So if you're planning to use aftermarket wheels anyway, then save yourself some grief and buy the yellow plastic version, which should be (at least a bit) less of a pain to cover with another colour! They seem to be under $30 including shipping from Japan on eBay at the moment. The S seems harder to find.

best,

M.

On 31.10.2018 at 11:17 PM, Matt Bacon said:

So if you're planning to use aftermarket wheels anyway, then save yourself some grief and buy the yellow plastic version, which should be (at least a bit) less of a pain to cover with another colour! They seem to be under $30 including shipping from Japan on eBay at the moment. The S seems harder to find.

I'd recommend to go for the Cayman S kit that is including window frame masking seals, as this is containing an alternative set of wheels aswell: https://www.1999.co.jp/eng/image/10330151

3 hours ago, Tommy124 said:

I'd recommend to go for the Cayman S kit that is including window frame masking seals, as this is containing an alternative set of wheels aswell: https://www.1999.co.jp/eng/image/10330151

And even better than the window masks... the body is WHITE!!!!!

That's definitely the one to go for.

best,

M.