Model Cars Magazine Forum

"Bring Out Your Dead" Completion Build--ROUND 2 Is On!

Snake45

44 minutes ago, Tom Geiger said:

Start a new round and I'll join in

This thread has inspired me to finish stalled projects, weather it's attic finds or from my own Stalled shelf section.

I'd like to see this go on all year long truthfully...everyone has stalled projects, nice to know I'm not alone. 

I'm struggling at the moment on the color for the 55... I've googled images but they all seem played out. My favorite 55 is definitely with two tone paint with white or silver top.

I'M OPEN TO SUGGESTIONS!

54473084218300_tmp_max_640X480.jpg.6beba04dec1c309d2f91a17aed8a6777.jpg

images.jpeg.jpg

1955_Chevrolet_210_Custom_5ae6c72b8aa14.jpg

1 hour ago, Tom Geiger said:

This is fun to read.  Start a new round and I'll join in.  

This round ends March 31. (If you think you can get something done by then, Tom, you're still welcome to join this round.) If there's a Round 3, it will start April 1 and run to the end of June (3 months, or quarterly). Whether or not there's a Round 3 depends on interest. If eight people (other than me) declare they're in, we're on (and I'll join in). We'll do this after the end of March. 

Now, the recent board change preventing edits poses a problem. Should we let this thread run with "Round 2" still in the title, or start a new thread? I'd love to let this thread run. Maybe we can ask a mod to edit the the thread title at that time, or something. As they say on The Walking Dead, "We'll figure it out." B)

26 minutes ago, disconovaman said:

This thread has inspired me to finish stalled projects, weather it's attic finds or from my own Stalled shelf section.

Me too. So far I've finished three stalled projects, one going all the way back to 1969 or '70, and it looks like I'll finish another one at least this round. And I've got enough stuff on my Shelf of Doom to keep me participating for probably a couple years. I hope we can keep up the momentum. B)

Grabber Green is a great color and Testor has it in rattlecans (or at least used to). 

Meanwhile, since we have a new participant and have turned a new page, here's a build status update: 

Straightliner59: Junior Fuel Dragster STILL MAKING STEADY PROGRESS!

Dave Branson: '70 Chevelle

Belugawrx: Castrol F1 MAKING TREMENDOUS PROGRESS!

Mod3lLover: Mustang

Disconovaman: 36 Ford 5-window THIRD COMPLETION! GOTTER DONE! Moving on to '55 Chevy

Junkyard Jeff: '41 Chevy truck

89AKurt: '48 Chevy truck “Canopy Express”

Modlbldr: '40 Ford “Starlet” FIRST COMPLETION! GOTTER DONE! Moving on to '65/'96 Mustang MAKING TREMENDOUS PROGRESS!

Snake45: '57 Corvette STILL MAKING STEADY PROGRESS!

Lordmodelbuilder: '69 Camaro

Bobthehobbyguy: Tarantula dragster

Can-Con: '67 Bonneville MAKING TREMENDOUS PROGRESS!

SuperbirdMcMonte: Jeep Honcho SECOND COMPLETION! GOTTER DONE! '68 Hurst Olds FOURTH COMPLETION! GOTTER DONE! Moving on to '69 H/O MAKING TREMENDOUS PROGRESS!

Geemoney: '34 Ford

Spex84: '59 Impala

Martin9428: '07 Shelby Mustang

Atmobile: Baja Bug VW

Kool Kat: '67 Mustang drag car

Let's go, gang! GITTER DONE! B)

Edited by Snake45

Snake, if its not too late, I'll join in with this Mustang that I've been on and off with for some time,

DSCN4707.jpg

This build was inspired by the original AMT 67 that looks like this

2vYW1J9jx3yrcP.jpg

And since I can not afford the original, I thought I'd use the new tool from AMT, with a lot of the original kit parts that are in the AMT 68 Shelby kit. Getting pretty close so the end of March might be possible.

KK

That's plenty of time to get those dead builds across the finish line.. I don't have any doubt I can whip the 55 up in that time frame. 

I built this camaro last Friday cracked the seal on it at 7am and I was puttin it back in the box to attend  Saturday's MDA show at 7:30 PM. (about a 12 hour build). "Non-stop to Dallas" using nothing but the parts in the box! Gitterdone! And it earned an award! Now that was a challange!

Screenshot_20190306-201250.png

I've been plugging away at my Mustang's suspension and cleaning up the hood. Just not much in the way of photo-worthy progress. If we have a Round 3 I'll be in on that too. Technically I have met my goal of finishing three stalled projects this year but I'm only considering it two. The R34 GT-R that I just completed I had glued the body side moldings and hood on as well as removing many parts from the sprues and cleaned them up years ago but that is as far as I'd gotten. 

Anywho, I'm in for R3 since I still have many years worth of stalled projects. I like the idea of this thread. It encourages one's to get moving on all of those great ideas we had at one time.

Later-

I have been working on my Mustang also, but like Tom, I don't

think the stuff I have done will look like progress yet!

But I'm quite certain that it will be done in time for the end of the

round 2 build thread!!!

For me it's more like, "Get off yer butt fool"!!!  :(

David S.

P.S.-   Anthony, all your wins from the contest look amazing man!!

Edited by mod3l Lover

Well, since I am planning on getting my Mustang done before

"the end of all things as we know it", or the "Bring out yer dusty

model box" thread that is!!

I thought I would just mention why the poor thing has been 

hiding under my work bench.

When I decided to drag this Mustang out, I soon realized why

it was in the box in the first place.  The decal on the hood had

wrinkled on the leading edge!

Well after looking at it now for quite a while, I decided that

it's not enough to leave it in the box forever!!

So I guess this just the way it's going to be!?! <_< 

100_6092.JPG

@mod3l Lover

Have you tried Walthers Solvaset great stuff for getting decals to conform. 

Been using it for years on my ho trains to set the decals into the paint. 

Very fine and tiny slits in that stripe and touch the Solvaset it should work wonders. 

Just my brain out thinking my mouth again just a thought. 

Yeah mod3l Lover, get yourself a new blade and cut lengthwise down the center of those wrinkles. Then hit them with some Solvaset and smooth them out with some tissue paper or a brush. They should disappear. Get that thing finished!

Later-

Thanks for the advice Vince and Tom!!  I completely forgot

about that little very effective method!

Will it still work if the hood has clear coat on it?   I plan to

touch up the spots where it chipped off with some little dabs

of silver paint and a fine brush. But the wrinkles are the most

noticeable problem.

No matter how it works out in that regard, I'm going to finish

it just the same!!

David S.