Model Cars Magazine Forum

Mystery kit tires

I have a set of these tires and have no clue what they came from.  They say Good Year Eagle GS-C on both sides but with different lettering, and there is a front and rear set. The rear is slightly wider than the front. I need a few sets and do not know what kit they were from.

Anybody have a clue?

IMG_20181120_074737[1].jpg

IMG_20181120_074749[1].jpg

1 hour ago, Daddyfink said:

They look like the tires in the AMT 34 Ford 

Those are Goodyear Eagle VR50 tires, IIRC, and predate the Eagle GS-C tires. The tires' 'shoulder', where the sidewall meet the tread, is a bit more square than the more rounded GS-Cs.

1 hour ago, Exotics_Builder said:

AMT C4 Vette's initially, and then went into a lot of "street machine" or big/little applications.  Tread is asymmetrical, if I recollect correctly.

That's my recollection, too- basically high performance cars (Corvette, Trans Am, Camaro, Mustang, etc. and a few street machine type cars and trucks). The top tire with the solid lettering is definitely AMT, as it has a thick inner 'step' between the sidewall and inner bore. I can't say 100% the bottom tire is AMT, too, but it sure looks the same, save for the hollow lettering on the sidewall.

2 hours ago, bigdrag1 said:

mid 90`s amt kits ,like the 55 chevy p.u.

The AMT '55 Chevy Stepside included the same Goodyear Eagle VR50 tires as included with the '34 Ford above. Maybe the late '90s issue '57 Chevy stepside did?

1 hour ago, Casey said:

That's my recollection, too- basically high performance cars (Corvette, Trans Am, Camaro, Mustang, etc. and a few street machine type cars and trucks). The top tire with the solid lettering is definitely AMT, as it has a thick inner 'step' between the sidewall and inner bore. I can't say 100% the bottom tire is AMT, too, but it sure looks the same, save for the hollow lettering on the sidewall.

They have solid lettering on one side and outlined on the other. 

At one time AMT offered reissued kits with what they considered more modern updates. I remember a '49 Ford reissue specifically that had a set of Good Years just like that. They were far to wide and to low a profile for the kit, but they came in handy on later model builds. Depending on your stash of old kits you may have more than you realize. 

Definitely not the 34 Ford... I have that kit near, unbuilt, so I checked

I have no Vettes, but a bunch of 90's AMT kits I will need to check

On 11/20/2018 at 11:46 AM, Casey said:

FYI, pic is the same tire, just flipped over.

I need two sets if anyone has extras (or one set of four wider ones)  Also, gotta dig in my stash. At least now I know what to look in.

6 hours ago, Mr. Muppet said:

The '68 El Camino Street Machine definitely has those, and they're in the '67 Impala Street Machine, too, but I'm not 100% sure the fronts and rears are different sizes in that one.

I have a 67 Impala kit.... I need to look in there. Maybe these came out of it.