Model Cars Magazine Forum

Some talk on car movies.

One of my pet peeves in these movies is when the primary characters in their souped up cars can't outrun something mundane.  In one of the Expendables movies, Stalone's character in his souped up 50's Ford pickup hot rod can't outrun a busted-up S15 Blazer.

Drive Angry was pretty cool in the vehicle department and had William Fichtner as the Accountant whom made the movie a favorite for me.  "You know what this badge means, right? Federal Bureau of get-the-f...-out-of-my-way."

Edited by torinobradley

2 hours ago, torinobradley said:

One of my pet peeves in these movies is when the primary characters in their souped up cars can't outrun something mundane.  In one of the Expendables movies, Stalone's character in his souped up 50's Ford pickup hot rod can't outrun a busted-up S15 Blazer.

Drive Angry was pretty cool in the vehicle department and had William Fichtner as the Accountant whom made the movie a favorite for me.  "You know what this badge means, right? Federal Bureau of get-the-f...-out-of-my-way."

I remember in Cobra he was being chased by a Volare...

3 hours ago, torinobradley said:

Even worse, when they're chasing someone who's on foot, and they still can't seem to catch them.

9 hours ago, torinobradley said:

One of my pet peeves in these movies is when the primary characters in their souped up cars can't outrun something mundane.

One of my favorites is Terminator 2, when the guy on the motorcycle is practically being run over by Arnold in his BIG RIG SEMI!

Same thing happened in the entire movie "Duel"

• 1 month later...

I've just spent a few hours on IMCDB.org (international movie car database) just looking up all the cars used on two of my favorite TV car shows - Emergency! and CHiPs. There are sooo many great action shots of interesting, vintage vehicles as they looked in their heyday - on the streets as daily drivers. Some of which are very rare and prized today!

Great site for ideas and inspiration. 

On 12/19/2018 at 6:41 PM, STYRENE-SURFER said:

Watching Planes,Trains & Automobiles...

That '68 Bonneville Taxi, "Doobby's Taxiola" would be an interesting movie build. B) Completely forgot about that scene in the film.

https://www.imcdb.org/vehicle_30854-Pontiac-Bonneville-26239-1968.html 

Great movie,one of the best,and yea Dooby's taxi would make a good build.Or if anyone made the wood grain Dodge/Plymouth Aires.You can build it all burnt up.

On 1/24/2019 at 9:46 PM, Oldcarfan27 said:

I've just spent a few hours on IMCDB.org (international movie car database) just looking up all the cars used on two of my favorite TV car shows - Emergency! and CHiPs. There are sooo many great action shots of interesting, vintage vehicles as they looked in their heyday - on the streets as daily drivers. Some of which are very rare and prized today!

Great site for ideas and inspiration. 

This was in Emergency! Season 1, episode 8

5c4cb40dbc71d_i326276(1).jpg.b4b6d84ef05160d1e3b443a775456209.jpg

Season 6, Episode 8

i370964.jpg.46bf4d5423873e6cdb719857d8846222.jpg

Season 5, episode 8.

Lotus Europa - destroyed!

5c4cb52e291a3_i548397(1).jpg.1148d6c35f45d9d52fbde9274a57c87e.jpg

Season 4, episode 9

i365102.jpg.392fa69cad413f6cb28d3aa79a5a98d8.jpg

Season 6, episode 7

Ex-Rockford Files car?

i681717.jpg.333a69af353a616b5e7853883c017719.jpg

18 hours ago, Oldcarfan27 said:

And the Lotus Europa is in the right neighborhood!  The street sign says "Sancola Ave."  That's in Toluca Lake, a very upscale Los Angeles 'hood near Studio City/North Hollywood. Bob Hope was one of its most famous residents, from 1939 until his death in 2003. Amelia Earhart lived there back in the 1930's, since the Lockheed plant in Burbank was just a couple of miles away.  Other celebrity residents: Bing Crosby, Ozzie & Harriet Nelson, Frankie Avalon, Bette Davis, Donny and Marie Osmond, Henry Winkler, Ron Howard, Jonathan Winters and Miley Cyrus.

19 hours ago, Oldcarfan27 said:

Season 4, episode 9

Sadly that much damage to a Europa does not take much!!! A T bone from a bicycle could do it!!!

I drove a Europa JPS for a while years ago. Fun car but really cramped.  Then I saw a Europa going through a body off restore.....SCARY!!! That chassis left ZERO crash protection for anyone in the car......just some thin fiberglass.......made me think twice about getting in one again!!  

5 hours ago, Dave Van said:

Sadly that much damage to a Europa does not take much!!! A T bone from a bicycle could do it!!!

I bet that '71 LeSabre hit something more substantial than a Europa before the TV crew borrowed it from the junkyard!

i568862.jpg

Fake license plate - I don't think the CA DMV would have issued that letter combination :wacko:

Edited by ChrisBcritter

6 hours ago, Mike999 said:

...Jonathan Winters and Miley Cyrus.

Now there are two names I NEVER thought I'd see in the same sentence! :blink:

I never watched CHIPS. Actually I did see about two minutes of it once. I tuned in just as they were running a very clean '67-'68 Camaro Rally Sport (red, IIRC) smack into a tree. I was so traumatized I vowed to NEVER watch it again! The horror! THE HORROR! :angry:

Edited by Snake45

8 hours ago, ChrisBcritter said:

I bet that '71 LeSabre hit something more substantial than a Europa before the TV crew borrowed it from the junkyard!

That's probably where they got most of the cars that they used for the show (Emergency) as many were practically brand new at the time (but wrecked) and they would be tearing them apart with the "jaws of life".

On 12/17/2018 at 12:31 PM, torinobradley said:

Just an aside, over Christmas, saw The Christmas Chronicles with Kurt Russell that had a car chase between a Challenger and a police Taurus.  This one I agreed with as the Interceptor Taurus is an AWD 365 horse car which would have easily kept up with any Challenger on wet and icy streets of Chicago (I think is where it was).

22 hours ago, Snake45 said:

Now there are two names I NEVER thought I'd see in the same sentence! :blink:

I never watched CHIPS. Actually I did see about two minutes of it once. I tuned in just as they were running a very clean '67-'68 Camaro Rally Sport (red, IIRC) smack into a tree. I was so traumatized I vowed to NEVER watch it again! The horror! THE HORROR! :angry:

What they did to Chargers on Dukes of Hazard must have left you curled up in a ball on the floor. :lol::lol:

• 1 month later...

For Ford Galaxy and VW Beetle fans, go to Netflix to watch 'Roma', it was awarded best cinematography for a reason.  I was amused at some scenes that showed how huge those were, but I know you Ford enthusiasts will cringe seeing the Coupe .... well I won't wreck it for you.

TCM recently showed a vintage car movie...sort of...that I'd never seen:  "The Yellow Rolls-Royce" from 1964. 

It follows a 1930 Rolls Phantom II Sedanca de Ville as it passes from the Hooper showroom thru 3 sets of owners: stuffy British diplomat Rex Harrison and his cheating wife Jeanne Moreau; American gangster George C. Scott and his also-cheating moll, Shirley MacLaine; and wealthy American Ingrid Bergmann and Yugoslavian freedom fighter Omar Sharif. 

Plenty of eye candy if you like vintage cars, especially Rolls-Royces.  And in one Italian car showroom, a gorgeous red vintage Alfa-Romeo.

According to the ImDB Trivia page, the twisty mountain road in the Yugoslavian story was also used for another movie in 1964: "Goldfinger."

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0059927/?ref_=nv_sr_2

Edited by Mike999
omit