Model Cars Magazine Forum

2019 CBR - the Vannonball Run!

Jantrix

I have been working on the Amtronic, I try to do at least something everyday. Spent a lot of time just sanding the body for paint prep. I used 400 grit wet or dry, sanded dry, to knock the sheen from the plastic. I started to fab up the center console, I made a mini fridge and I was able to strip most of the flat black from the engine.

I've reached a snag. The low profile wheel/tire set that I was going to use isn't large enough in diameter. The rear squats too low with the front tires in place. I have an ad in the truck trade section but this is what I need:

I am looking for a complete set of pickup on road tires, with the inner and outer wheels.I prefer something a bit wide but beggars can't be choosers. I need the tires to be somewhere between 1-1/4" to 1-5/16" in diameter. The '58 Chevy's are 1-1/8". Semi wheels and tires are too big. If you have a skinny set I may need two sets to run duals. I'm sure I can find something here to trade for them.

Edit: I worked on the center console. If you look at the first pic there were 5 gauges on the drivers side and a raised portion representing a glove box opener on the right side. One gauge I drilled out for the shifter and I sanded off the rest. I put in what was important. CUP HOLDERS!!! I had an Ebrake lever off the 911 but I seem to have misplaced it. I found one from a Ferrari 308 rebuilder that I have. It's in the brake on position but I can live with that, at least I know the model won't roll away:lol:.

amtronic 010a.JPG

amtronic 012.jpg

Edited by DPNM

Found an intake manifold, bell housing and a manual transmission for the engine. Cast a few parts. Modified the frame of the '37 to accept it.

IMG_8392.jpg

IMG_8393.jpg

IMG_8391.jpg

I'll be using big wheels with rubber band tires. looking at ways of making them fit inside the fenders. Ended up narrowing the front suspension. No solution yet for the rears.

IMG_8396.jpg

IMG_8397.jpg

IMG_8394.jpg

I like it Pat. I'm doing the same kit. I'll be heading in a hot rod ice cream truck direction.  I'm doing big/little wheels and tires, with a blown SBC from the Revell '30 Model A. Not sure yet if I'm doing a gloss paint job or another weathered ride. My last Cannonballer was weathered so I'm leaning towards gloss, red fenders with a white cab. I'm currently trying to modernize the suspension from the pasrt boxes. My normal go-to is to dig into another kit, but that habit has really increased my parted out kits collection to uncomforable levels lately.

Edited by Jantrix

Been plugging away at the Ultimate Adventure Van. I have most of the interior camper stuff build and painted. I made a table and covered it with a map, cleared it and hit it with some Future to make it shine. I then trimmed it with foil to have that shinny edge. However that is not shown in these pictures.

I chromed the sink, added a faucet and the stove. The stove is shown with the cover down, when the lid is up it acts as a firewall to protect the van interior walls. This is what all these vans and many small camper had. 

All cabinet doors are rounded like in the Westfalia style campers. The fridge is still square as they all are.

I have the roof in what may be the final primer coat. One more sanding and it may be ready for some color.

The side window will have flat glass mounted on the surface and I hope will be black or at least tinted. Still looking for some dark tinted clear plastic. I am thinking I may find a plastic bottle or something from the dollar store that will work.

I plan to print some kind of era correct floor, but my printer died and I need to replace it, so that will have to wait.

Final shot is a mock up, still a ways to go.

IMG_0400.JPG

IMG_0401.JPG

IMG_0402.JPG

IMG_0403.JPG

IMG_0404.JPG

Edited by Oldmopars

17 hours ago, Oldmopars said:

I plan to print some kind of era correct floor, but my printer died and I need to replace it, so that will have to wait.

Final shot is a mock up, still a ways to go.

Are you doing a period correct 70's van? I was going to suggest a photoreduced solar panel on top.

3 hours ago, Jantrix said:

Are you doing a period correct 70's van? I was going to suggest a photoreduced solar panel on top.

I already have plans for a solar panel. It is not going to be a strictly 70's correct van, more of a 70's van that someone found in good shape and is using today. So like if I found a low mile original 73 Chevy camper van and started using it today. It may have 2 or 3 solar panels. My theme is more Ultimate Adventure than "70's" van. I just really like the 70's era vans and want to keep the 70's feel.

On 1/21/2019 at 7:36 PM, landman said:

After playing with various positions, I found that if I removed the front crossmember and replaced it with a channel I could get the front suspension pretty well where I want it.

IMG_8399.jpg

IMG_8400.jpg

IMG_8401.jpg

Going to sit very nicely. I had passed this kit up before but it looks like a lot of fun! 

Small update. I made the spindles for the front, they look really unique for the V drive, but they are not done yet; I still need to make the mounts for the upper and lower control arms. I also have the drivers side Dana 30 done and the passenger side is under the knife now.

Edit: these spindles are rough, very rough. The actual ones are way out of my skills to make. This is the basic shape of them, but no where near the level of detail. 

7D795789-EE40-47CA-BA78-04853B7022A0.thumb.jpeg.4a4a2a40a2b639838f07e54428241cea.jpegD579E39B-DAAA-4157-9997-1A7A69A58AC5.jpeg

Edited by Rusty92

22 hours ago, landman said:

Now why didn't I leave the flathead in there and build it stock. 

I know what you mean, I'm doing the same things. Not as easy as I was hoping. Espcially as I decided not to just swap in a Monogram '37 Ford chassis and be done with it. I didn't want to part out another kit.

Rob, based on the timeline for this buildoff I'm thinking that I should join in. I have my idea already and have even designed a decal scheme for the build but due to other ongoing builds it will be a little time before I can get started. My choice will be a 78 Dodge Van.

2019012917_02_34-vi.jpg

2019012917_02_10-vi.jpg

4 hours ago, 1320wayne said:

Rob, based on the timeline for this buildoff I'm thinking that I should join in. I have my idea already and have even designed a decal scheme for the build but due to other ongoing builds it will be a little time before I can get started. My choice will be a 78 Dodge Van.

2019012917_02_34-vi.jpg

2019012917_02_10-vi.jpg

Wayne, with that kit you could build Brock Yates 1979 entry, the Transcon Medi-vac ambulance. 

02-6m0b.jpg.da1c70979b6be9e75799322be23080fc.jpg

Edited by Fat Brian

16 hours ago, 1320wayne said:

Outstanding! Wayne, it's always good to hear from you and I'm happy you will be joinging us. The 11 month timeline is designed to allow folks who maybe have only two or three hours of build time a week (like myself), to still participate, be involved and complete a model. I like your idea. 

I'm late to it, but I'd like to have a go with this VW Westfalia. I've been looking for a suitable subject and finally remembered I had two of these in storage. I did some online research today and it's a popular thing to re-power them with Subaru WRX engines. I probably won't do an actual engine since it is invisible in this vehicle.

VWVAN.PNG