Model Cars Magazine Forum

2019 CBR - the Vannonball Run!

Jantrix

55 minutes ago, Rusty92 said:

Looks like we are going to have a few 4x4s and '55 Fords in the mix. Should be interesting that way.

Here is my update for the night. I was gone most of today unexpectedly and got home a short while ago. But I made up some graphics for my van. Since it will be a news van, it needs the appropriate livery. I have decided to call it CBR Action News. What do you all think? It showcases the continental US and the route (close enough anyways).

5c2c126ded4b4_ScreenShot2019-01-01at7_18_50PM.png.ab4dda8410fdf12f259347e8b8e6d610.png

A great idea.  Since this is a cross country race you want your van to blend in.

I'm planning on joining the Vannonball too... I just have to narrow down some choices before I get started. 

It's neat to see everybody elses choices also... all the posts so far have been inspiring me... 

Initially I was thinking about The Gas Monkey Tequila Van since Richard is an actual record holder himself... but I really have this idea for a cab forward panel van also. Who knows right now though? I'll think on it for a little while more...

scale-1120.jpg

12 hours ago, Rusty92 said:

Here is my update for the night. I was gone most of today unexpectedly and got home a short while ago. But I made up some graphics for my van. Since it will be a news van, it needs the appropriate livery. I have decided to call it CBR Action News. What do you all think? It showcases the continental US and the route (close enough anyways).

Brilliant idea. I love it.

5 hours ago, jasoncamaro said:

I have this kit would it be fine for this? 

196657-10592-32-pristine.jpg

I don't think so. Various versions of that kit call it a panel truck or van, but I don't think it is. I think it's a sedan delivery based on the coupe. If your research proves me wrong (like a vintage dealership manual or something) then I'll allow it. I've seen the vehicle called panel truck and sedan delivery on different websites. These are 36's in the photo but you can see the difference.

Image result for 33 willys panel truck

Now you might be wondering why I'm being so picky about panel trucks and sedan deliverys. Simply because if I didn't it would stop being the Vannonball and become the sedan delivery Cannonball. Most people would vie for the sedan deliveries. Because of kit availability and performance options. The Van theme was very popular with our participants when we talked about it in 2017 and that's the run they wanted. Panel trucks were added to give a little bit of flexability (but not too much) to those who aren't into vans (like myself) but still want to participate in the run.

13 hours ago, disconovaman said:

I'm planning on joining the Vannonball too... I just have to narrow down some choices before I get started. 

It's neat to see everybody elses choices also... all the posts so far have been inspiring me... 

Initially I was thinking about The Gas Monkey Tequila Van since Richard is an actual record holder himself... but I really have this idea for a cab forward panel van also. Who knows right now though? I'll think on it for a little while more...

scale-1120.jpg

This is kind of the direction I was planning. I have been gathering parts for a few months. With the narrow theme and limited kit offerings, I think we may have a few similar entries.

Well, I have made a little progress on my entry. I wanted a High roof, as I am going to build this as the "Ultimate Adventure" cannonballer. Basicly a camper version of the Gas Monkey van above. (I had never seen the GM Van though)

So, I took the high roof/space cab from a MAN F2000 truck (Italeri) and made it work. I had to glue it all together, cut about an inch from the center to narrow it, then cut it again and add 3in to the middle to make it long enough. I used the factory van roof cut out to fill in the top so it is (or will be) smooth. It will be getting some long narrow windows in the side and a sunroof in the top.

Anyway, its a start. Lots of filling and sanding to do yet.

IMG_3696.jpg

IMG_3697.jpg

18 minutes ago, Oldmopars said:

Well, I have made a little progress on my entry. I wanted a High roof, as I am going to build this as the "Ultimate Adventure" cannonballer. Basicly a camper version of the Gas Monkey van above. (I had never seen the GM Van though)

So, I took the high roof/space cab from a MAN F2000 truck (Italeri) and made it work. I had to glue it all together, cut about an inch from the center to narrow it, then cut it again and add 3in to the middle to make it long enough. I used the factory van roof cut out to fill in the top so it is (or will be) smooth. It will be getting some long narrow windows in the side and a sunroof in the top.

Anyway, its a start. Lots of filling and sanding to do yet.

IMG_3696.jpg

IMG_3697.jpg

Nice looking work I am in awe of those that can make this stuff

Michael

I also started the front end conversion to 4x4. I had to make some custom leaf springs and shackles. I also had to cut off the old stuff and make some new mounts. One side is done, or at least mocked up. I will trim the "Bolts" to the right length when I do the final install. Sorry the picture is not great, cell phone. 

It will get a little cleaning up also, still in rough form. 

IMG_0374.jpeg

I got the suspension done. I added some leafs to the rear springs to add some ride height. I did not want to use lift blocks, so more springs seemed like the right answer and it is supposed to be a G30 anyway. I also relocated the rear shackles and added to them so the springs sit in the chassis level. Some wheel backs from the parts box and it is sitting on it own feet.

Steering linkage, motor mounts, transfer case and drive shafts will be next. Oh, and paint and install the front hubs.

IMG_0375.JPG

IMG_0376.JPG

IMG_0377.JPG

Edited by Oldmopars

21 hours ago, disconovaman said:

Great idea! And it looks like you've been doing it all along!

Thank you!

Last night I was working on hinges for the rear doors. And after about 10 different designs I just wasn’t getting it done. So I decided to go with “original” styled hinges. They are a little bulky, but function well. I plan on test fitting them later today. The plates are very large in this photo but have been trimmed down since  

591BD6EA-382C-4DF8-8E05-2D1E84195EAE.thumb.jpeg.aaec186d99fda1329425072296983225.jpeg

I also got the transfer case built, will sand off the putty later. Then to add drive shafts. I’m at a stand still on suspension for now, waiting on my scenes unlimited order.

BB75B5A9-EBC7-47B1-97A0-5791DF917FC4.thumb.jpeg.ffcbe4654c76ea4b677231af53a53050.jpeg

Hey guys,

after some additional research I overthought the engine compartment for my build. Will go with the Cammer from Revell´s ´99 Mustang SVT Cobra. Rear suspension will also come from this kit.

I know it´s a 1/25 kit but the parts seem to fit very well. Update pics will come soon.

On the other hand I´m trying to build a base for finish line photos. Hope to get this done as well.

@ Scott: Like your progress on the high roof and the suspension. Looks pretty cool for me. Sorry I couldn´t help you this time (that fast)...

@Jacob: Like your idea for the decals and the 4x4 drive. It´s looking very interesting.

Best, Rico

7 hours ago, camaro69 said:

Hey guys,

after some additional research I overthought the engine compartment for my build. Will go with the Cammer from Revell´s ´99 Mustang SVT Cobra. Rear suspension will also come from this kit.

I know it´s a 1/25 kit but the parts seem to fit very well. Update pics will come soon.

On the other hand I´m trying to build a base for finish line photos. Hope to get this done as well.

@ Scott: Like your progress on the high roof and the suspension. Looks pretty cool for me. Sorry I couldn´t help you this time (that fast)...

@Jacob: Like your idea for the decals and the 4x4 drive. It´s looking very interesting.

Best, Rico

No problem. At first I was just looking at the roof from the Man F2000 and thought it might work, then I decided the worst that could happen is I would screw it up and you would have a 3D one for me. As it turns out, it is looking just fine and while not a replica of any one high roof, it captures the feel of the Open Road and others from the era. So, thank you for at least considering it and its no problem, I totally understand time issues. 

1 hour ago, Jonathan said:

Question on the rules - are right-hand drive vehicles allowed?  Or does the vehicle have to be USA-spec/ North American-spec only?  Say I imported a minivan from Japan ....?

While I am not the one making the rules, I see no reason why not. There are right hand drive cars in the USA, they have been imported. As long as they were imported legally they can be driven on the roads here. 

I got a little more done on the van today and yesterday. I had planned all along to cut out the doors and change the side door to 2 side doors. They were more common on camper vans. 

I got them cut out, cut the valance off the rear of the floor and added it back to the van to give it some structure. I have also added some structure to the inside to hold the paneling on the sides of the interior. I added the paneling and will be working on the front door panels this next week. 

IMG_0383.JPG

IMG_0384.JPG

IMG_0385.JPG

IMG_0386.JPG

IMG_0387.JPG

13 hours ago, Jonathan said:

Question on the rules - are right-hand drive vehicles allowed?  Or does the vehicle have to be USA-spec/ North American-spec only?  Say I imported a minivan from Japan ....?

11 hours ago, Oldmopars said:

While I am not the one making the rules, I see no reason why not. There are right hand drive cars in the USA, they have been imported. As long as they were imported legally they can be driven on the roads here. 

CORRECT!

I saw the post to sign up for this years Cannonball, which is van themed. I'd have 11 months to build something for it and I've never done a community build. I have had this AMTronic kit for a while and thought "why not". Maybe I should have looked through the contents along with the instructions to the kit and perhaps read build reviews of it FIRST but no, I ponied up. I can see why no one else picked it. If you read the build reviews they list ill-fitting parts, dimples/sink marks and a few other issues. They are pretty much spot on.

It's been quite a long time since I built anything and I'm rusty. Not really that good either but I am going to try to silk purse out of a sows ear on this the best I can.

This is my first WIP and I'm a bit tentative. I don't mind comments, either good or bad. I have a plan, whether I can accomplish them is another thing.

From what I know about the Cannonball the vehicle only needs to run for about 35 hours, give or take. Most would be interstate/high speed. I'm designing it for that.

On to the build, so far:

The first thing I did was take an inch and a half out of the center of the "passenger" area. It is way too long other-wise. I'm concentrating on the front section now. The vehicle will be built as a single unit though. I swapped the original front seats from a pair for the passenger section. The kit fronts are in a lay down position. If I'm driving for 35 hours the last thing I'd want to do is lay down doing it! I had a plan to fit the front seats fairly easy but being rusty I tried to finesse them. They should turn out OK but I think in hindsight I shoulda gone with my original thoughts. Lesson learned, that's what super-glue and bondo were invented for.

I am not going to use the kit supplied engines. I have an old built up Porsche 911 that I took the engine from. I plan twin turbos which should push this thing along fairly well. I wanted the Porsche engine as it is air cooled, I won't need to try to fit a radiator somewhere.

It's hard to say how often I will be doing updates but at least I've started.

The pics should help. I've added a couple extras. There is a pic of the front wheel covers, marked Left and Right. If you look you will see that the part and the sprue numbers are backwards. I did test fit, the left is the left and the right the right. Another pic shows the rear door. Is it me or does it look like a smiling face? It does mount upside down to the pic (that is sprue still attached at the bottom of the pic). Musta been a kit designer "having fun".

A random thought on things to come. I'm fairly certain that GM removed the rear center bar from the 1964 Corvette coupe because people couldn't see out of the back of the 1963 split window that well. So AMT decided to make this with a split windshield??? I know, so it could be hinged easy but come on.

One last thing, and I'm sorry for rambling. I think the best use of this kit would be as a boat. Allison engine anyone?

amtronic 001.jpg

amtronic 003.jpg

amtronic 006.jpg

amtronic 007.jpg

amtronic 009.jpg

amtronic 004.jpg

amtronic 005.jpg

Edited by DPNM