Model Cars Magazine Forum

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 9 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 6 months later...

You can still drive one, too!  New acquisition; '51 Crestliner (older restoration, pretty much rebuilt stock but: 12V and alternator, Pertronix conversion, Red's Headers and duals, Fatman/Shoebox Central f&r sway bars, etc.)  My high-school '51's were Deluxe and Custom models, and lots of fun/ez to work on!  Only 12 years old, then, and seemed ancient -- wierd, huh?  Funny Ford did this elite trim model on the 2-dr. sedan body; club coupe was so much more sleek.

Did anyone mention the Frank Oddo engine book on CA BIll's Automotive Handbooks?  Good photos, esp of mod engines.  Ole' Wick

Scan_20230818.jpg

17 minutes ago, W Humble said:

You can still drive one, too!  New acquisition; '51 Crestliner (older restoration, pretty much rebuilt stock but: 12V and alternator, Pertronix conversion, Red's Headers and duals, Fatman/Shoebox Central f&r sway bars, etc.)  My high-school '51's were Deluxe and Custom models, and lots of fun/ez to work on!  Only 12 years old, then, and seemed ancient -- wierd, huh?  Funny Ford did this elite trim model on the 2-dr. sedan body; club coupe was so much more sleek.

Did anyone mention the Frank Oddo engine book on CA BIll's Automotive Handbooks?  Good photos, esp of mod engines.  Ole' Wick

Scan_20230818.jpg

I also owned a few '51 Fords in my youth and one in fact was this same color but a regular custom model. The story I was told long ago pertaining to your resent acquisition was that Ford had not yet developed their two-door hardtop and Chevrolet was selling a lot of their Bel Air hardtops at the time. The Crestliner you have was a stop gap, a very good looking one for sure, until they could work out the production issues on the hardtop that they did bring to market during the '51 model run. 

That's the story, all right.  The Victoria could have been created by Ford earlier, but they were selling everything but the plant fork lifts in 1949.  The Vicky 2-door hardtop coupe was just a lid grafted onto the convertible body; all the ragtop hardware attachment holes are there!  I love the look, but could never afford a Vicky; the club coupe was my best '51!  Honduras Maroon Custom, black wheels with baby-moons, and wide w/w's -- all on the cheap for a college freshman with the draft hanging over his head.  A year later, the Ford was wrecked (snowstorm, vs. '57 Dodge; I got the coupe back on the road, but the frame was tweaked; the Dodge never turn another wheel!) and I was back in a '55 Chevy B-A hardtop.  The 'shoebox' (don't like that tag; we never called the 1949-51 cars that, back in the day) was fun, easy to fix, and the V-8 sounded 'real' even tho a Chevy six could give it a run for it's money.  My actual first '51 Ford was a $50 rust-bucket 2-dr sedan from MI -- disassembled itself in a sideswipe collision -- not my fault.  I did save the drive train, though, and it ran for another year in my coupe.

GM and Chrysler figured out the convertible-to-hardtop gimmick right away; Ford hesitated with the Crestliner, a name that lasted as a top-line model until the Fairlane was introduced in '55.  I'm pretty ancient, obviously, and I swear I never beheld a Crestliner until I started going to car shows and swaps.  I have a decal sheet for a Crestliner, origin unknown, that includes the lower paint portion of the cove, but ivory white.  The only Crestliner kit bodies I'm aware of were resin creations, right?   I made a model of my club coupe for nostalgia sake, along with my first car, a '55 Chevy Delray post hotrod (c'mon, lakes pipes?!), and my old love, the '65 Pontiac Tempest Custom hardtop (326/stick) which I had to sell when the draft finally caught up with me!  

I'm sure Ford might have been more motivated to do a true hardtop if they could have amortized the tooling against both Ford and Mercury, but oc Merc was the little Lincoln body mate until '52.  The '52-54 cars are nice enough and tasteful, but neither has the panache of the '49-51 bodies for either, I M Humble O!  The '51's were a mixed blessing, but I was prompted to buy this C-liner bec of a comment my younger bros made at our last family reunion: "We sure had a lot of fun in your Ford!"  True; but now I wonder what they did in it!!

For some good teenage adventures with lots of danger, rock n' roll, and cars, read A PLACE ON MARS series on Kindle, by yours truly. :-<)  [Not Sci-Fi]

• 3 weeks later...

This might be off topic so I will take it down if needed.

A flathead in a camaro!? 

Some oddball thing I found well surfing the web. This automatically made me laugh (it would be even funnier if this was a big block car).

Screenshot_20240210_122300_Gallery.jpg.276ee44b66dea8605d3396bab9bc0d73.jpg

Edited by FoMoCo66
  • Haha 1