Model Cars Magazine Forum

eBay: contest for record highest asking price

On 1/29/2019 at 10:52 PM, iamsuperdan said:

Amazon has the same problem. I've always wondered when I see something pretty common for a ridiculously astronomical price. There has to be a reason for it, because there are hundreds of sellers doing it.

Let’s toss this out there, and see if anyone bites?

And the sad thing is, someone will most likely buy it at some point.

I believe some people actually do have more money than brains. 

4 hours ago, Brutalform said:

I can never figure out why an open kit will have a few bids on it, when some other seller will have the same exact kit sealed, as “buy it now” for less money. I guess they are too lazy to search?

Because people do not know how to search.  And in some cases they cannot read either.

Ever notice when you do an eBay search in a category, at the bottom it will give you results from all of eBay... different categories?   

Now that sellers get a certain allocation of free listings each month, it doesn't cost anything to go fishing.  

So a predatory seller is hoping that someone searching for parts for his 1:1  1975 Datsun pickup will also see a listing for the MPC 1/25 scale kit of that truck. Someone not familiar with our hobby may say, "Oh wow! There's a model of my truck. I never saw one before so it must be super rare!"  and will hit the $200 "Buy It Now" button.  

There have been many cases of the aftermarket trying to sell 1/25 scale resin parts and decals on eBay,  having people bid the $8.99 plus $4 shipping on that resin hood or Camaro stripe decal, thinking they are buying parts for their 1:1 cars.   Some of the ads have a lot of bold print stating  "THIS IS FOR A 1/25 SCALE MODEL TOY CAR --  NOT A PART FOR YOUR REAL CAR! "

1 hour ago, Tom Geiger said:

a predatory seller

Now, that is the funniest thing i have seen all week! :lol:

I need to know: What predatory tactics is the seller using to strongarm the buyer into buying?

i don't want to become the next 'victim' :o

Edited by Daddy Mack

6 hours ago, Tom Geiger said:

Because people do not know how to search.  And in some cases they cannot read either.

Ever notice when you do an eBay search in a category, at the bottom it will give you results from all of eBay... different categories?   

Now that sellers get a certain allocation of free listings each month, it doesn't cost anything to go fishing.  

So a predatory seller is hoping that someone searching for parts for his 1:1  1975 Datsun pickup will also see a listing for the MPC 1/25 scale kit of that truck. Someone not familiar with our hobby may say, "Oh wow! There's a model of my truck. I never saw one before so it must be super rare!"  and will hit the $200 "Buy It Now" button.  

There have been many cases of the aftermarket trying to sell 1/25 scale resin parts and decals on eBay,  having people bid the $8.99 plus $4 shipping on that resin hood or Camaro stripe decal, thinking they are buying parts for their 1:1 cars.   Some of the ads have a lot of bold print stating  "THIS IS FOR A 1/25 SCALE MODEL TOY CAR --  NOT A PART FOR YOUR REAL CAR! "

Haha. Good point. Those impulse buyers are out there, and some of these sellers know it. 

32 minutes ago, Bucky said:

Back up to $4998.99 today! This is nutty!!!!

There is another T516-300 original issue factory sealed kit on ebay now and it has a "buy now" price of $125.00
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-1970s-AMT-Fire-Rescue-Chevy-Van-Model-Kit-SEALED-IN-BOX-UNBUILT/303014771488?hash=item468d167b20:g:lAAAAOSwHAxcK4CM
Dirt cheap if you compare them. ;)

So why would someone pay $5000 for a kit they can get for $125...they are not that collectable and the recent reissues of the same kit are in the $20-$50 price range...he will never sell this kit if he doesn't lower the asking price with about $4900 or so...this guy has to wake up from his dream world and come back to reality. <_<

Edited by Force

On 2019-03-22 at 12:45 PM, Brutalform said:

I can never figure out why an open kit will have a few bids on it, when some other seller will have the same exact kit sealed, as “buy it now” for less money. I guess they are too lazy to search?

Might depend on where the bidders are from. Could be that the kit being auctioned ships worldwide and the cheaper "buy it now" kit doesn't ship to the purchasers country.

19 minutes ago, Force said:

There is another T516-300 original issue factory sealed kit on ebay now and it has a "buy now" price of $125.00
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-1970s-AMT-Fire-Rescue-Chevy-Van-Model-Kit-SEALED-IN-BOX-UNBUILT/303014771488?hash=item468d167b20:g:lAAAAOSwHAxcK4CM
Dirt cheap if you compare them. ;)

So why would someone pay $5000 for a kit they can get for $125...they are not that collectable and the recent reissues of the same kit are in the $20-$50 price range...he will never sell this kit if he doesn't lower the asking price with about $4900 or so...this guy has to wake up from his dream world and come back to reality. <_<

This seller doesn't seem to have any other kits for sale....just some clothing items and gaming items. What gets me is he will lower the price down to $499.00 and then jack it back up to near $5000! $499 is too high for my budget!! LOL

10 hours ago, Bucky said:

This seller doesn't seem to have any other kits for sale....just some clothing items and gaming items. What gets me is he will lower the price down to $499.00 and then jack it back up to near $5000! $499 is too high for my budget!! LOL

That price change is weird. Maybe he was editing his eBay listings and goofed. Moved the decimal point to the left. Then realized his error: "OMG! I listed a $5000 kit for only $500!  Gotta fix that!" ;)

I don't have a clue but it's fun watching this bizarre listing.  This seems to be the kind of eBay seller I gripe about all the time: the Anteek & Junque dealer or Wanna-Be American Picker who knows absolutely nothing about scale models. And can't be bothered to spend a few minutes searching eBay to learn anything about them.

As for the $90 Round 2 '65 Ford: the seller probably saw an original AMT kit with a similar asking price and didn't look any further. 

I may go too far in the other direction. But for those thinking about having their first eBay sale, here's one thing I do. I search on Completed Items and keep notes on what a kit sold for.  This doesn't take long and the notes look something like this: "AMT 32 Ford Coupe: BIN\$20\$25:$15\2B, $17\4B."  That means 2 kits sold at Buy It Now for $20 and $25. Two others sold at auction, for $15 with 2 bids and $17 with 4 bids.  As least this gives me a ballpark idea of what the kit is really selling for.

Edited by Mike999
error

Here in the UK there are ebay sellers asking three to four times, and upwards, from the RRP,  for very recent model kits, and other "collectable" items.

I suspect It could well be be a scam by certain sellers involved with 'business expenses' claims at the very least, or illicit money movement and money laundering -  but that's just my opinion. 

2 hours ago, Bucky said:

I think that this cyclical price reduction "sale" is something done automatically by eBay. Probably some setting the seller enables on long duration or buy-it-now listings to entice buyers.

Edited by peteski

On 3/29/2019 at 9:23 AM, Wm David Green said:

Here in the UK there are ebay sellers asking three to four times, and upwards, from the RRP,  for very recent model kits, and other "collectable" items.

I suspect It could well be be a scam by certain sellers involved with 'business expenses' claims at the very least, or illicit money movement and money laundering -  but that's just my opinion. 

There was a thing a while back about money laundering through eBay, postings of printers for thousands of dollars.  They were sending monies to fund terrorism.  I don't doubt anything these days! 

7 hours ago, Bucky said:

I didn't know eBay did that.

I don't know that either, but seems more reasonable than the seller offering a discount or a sale ever few days. It would make sense that it is done automatically (if the item is not selling).

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

I know, dredging up an old thread of mine......  this won't break a record, but come on, this is ridiculous.  I shoulda coulda woulda got the Lamborghini Performante when it first came out, but thought that after the newness wore off, I would pick one up.  Well, this is one kit that apparently was low production, and is now scarce, and people know it, and are willing to hose you.

1134200520_PerformanteeBay.jpg.75714605c63ec20d730e8d25bc33e2ca.jpg

1 hour ago, 89AKurt said:

I know, dredging up an old thread of mine......  this won't break a record, but come on, this is ridiculous.  I shoulda coulda woulda got the Lamborghini Performante when it first came out, but thought that after the newness wore off, I would pick one up.  Well, this is one kit that apparently was low production, and is now scarce, and people know it, and are willing to hose you.

1134200520_PerformanteeBay.jpg.75714605c63ec20d730e8d25bc33e2ca.jpg

Did you catch the different prices for shipping? Now THAT'S the scam!!!!

Always check the shipping, folks. Some sellers entice you with low price offers then hit you with high shipping. 

That's what's unethical!

25 minutes ago, Oldcarfan27 said:

Did you catch the different prices for shipping? Now THAT'S the scam!!!!

Always check the shipping, folks. Some sellers entice you with low price offers then hit you with high shipping. 

That's what's unethical!

There is no incentive for sellers to scam on shipping costs anymore. EBay charges commission on the total, including the shipping charges.

Today even if you sort by “lowest price first” it totals in the shipping cost.

Back in the day, they only charged commission on the sales price so a lot of sellers were selling kits for  a penny with $20 shipping to avoid fees. No more.

Sellers are complaining that eBay is forcing them into eBay managed shipping and their calculator is screwing up postage estimates big time.

42 minutes ago, Tom Geiger said:

There is no incentive for sellers to scam on shipping costs anymore. EBay charges commission on the total, including the shipping charges.

Today even if you sort by “lowest price first” it totals in the shipping cost.

Back in the day, they only charged commission on the sales price so a lot of sellers were selling kits for  a penny with $20 shipping to avoid fees. No more.

Sellers are complaining that eBay is forcing them into eBay managed shipping and their calculator is screwing up postage estimates big time.

Yes. This is why there is so much regulation on everything anymore. Some people just have to try to milk a system, and go against the grain for their own personal gain. Now, since ebay changed its commission policy, it’s not fair to a seller that has to pay a commission on their purchase of shipping boxes, shipping tape, and actually getting the product to the post office. It’s not really worth selling on eBay anymore. Thanks to the people that decided to inflate the shipping charges. 
Also I could be wrong, but it seems likely there are a lot less people selling these days on eBay. 
At least you can still hand write the address label to avoid the fee of printing one through eBay. 

Edited by Brutalform

5 minutes ago, Brutalform said:

Also I could be wrong, but it seems likely there are a lot less people selling these days on eBay. 

Agreed. eBay has been chasing Amazon for years as a purveyor of consumer goods, pretty much abandoning its collector market roots. 

As such, the demands for sellers to ship immediately, accept unconditional returns, paying postage both ways and the high fee structure have driven the casual hobby collectors from selling on the site. Never mind the abundance of like items, reducing the sell through rate to unacceptable.

Edited by Tom Geiger