Model Cars Magazine Forum

What diecast did you get today?

Gramps46

3 hours ago, kilrathy10 said:

Got these bad boys, yesterday... 1/18 scale... I'm diggin' these babies....Trailer seems a bit wide and the deck a bit wide, but then again, it's just a box on what appears to be a boat trailer frame, underneath.... But looks non the less impressive, I think....

####20200216_195447.jpg

####20200216_195523.jpg

####20200216_195550.jpg

That some nice die cast pieces you found. I really like the combo!

NIce additions, guys.  I have bought a few new pieces.  Will be here by end of week hopefully.  59 Impala convertible, 58 Thunderbird, and 54 Bel Air by the Mints.  Will get photos when they arrive.  Reasonable prices I guess.   less than ebay.   

There is a guy on Facebook - John Schoonover - that has several cars for sale on the franklin/Danbury Mint sell page.   Looks like reasonable prices on some fairly nice pieces.  Might go back for more later.  Try this link. https://www.facebook.com/groups/736971649771825/1776471002488546/?sale_post_id=1776471002488546&comment_id=1779307165538263&notif_id=1581731753107264&notif_t=group_comment_reply

He has two different posts.  One has loose cars on a shelf that are rougher than the other post that shows cars in a case.  

Didn't get anything new, but in the last three days I've Snake-Fu'ed a Welly Porsche 356, a Burago Ferrari GTO, and that backbirth Revell '63 Corvette roadster I recently got from Randy. Hope to have pics up soon. Randy's not gonna recognize that Vette! :lol:

22 hours ago, Snake45 said:

Didn't get anything new, but in the last three days I've Snake-Fu'ed a Welly Porsche 356, a Burago Ferrari GTO, and that backbirth Revell '63 Corvette roadster I recently got from Randy. Hope to have pics up soon. Randy's not gonna recognize that Vette! :lol:

Can't wait to see it - it was so bad, I just wanted nothing to do with it at all.   I polish enough turds at work - no point in doing them in my spare time.

Well, This might end in a divorce for me, but I finally have two diecast cars I've lusted after for some time. The Hirohata Mercury is finally mine!

LHSide1-vi.jpg

That's not a picture of my car, but according to the seller and the pictures from eBay are not great, it's mint. I hope he's right. I'd given up on finding one to repair that was a reasonable price and started looking for one in good condition at a reasonable price. This turned out to be much easier. If it's not what the seller claims, it's going back. I do like that about eBay.

LHSide3-vi.jpg

Next I've been looking for this for almost a year. Franklin Mint 1939 Ford Convertible. Again, not my car, but the pictures from the seller were not the greatest and claimed to be mint. These have been on the market just out of my reach for what I wanted to pay and the ones that were obtainable were always missing the top and boot, and sometimes worse than that. Just like the Hirohata Mercury, if it's not as the seller claims, it's going back.

LHSide3-vi.jpg

Finally there's this, I saw this from Franklin Mint and I didn't ever remember seeing one. The price was ridiculously low. The seller had a the '32 hot rod coupe as well. I'd seen those before and it had a low bid. So I watched them both until the end and placed a low bid on the roadster and won. Well, then I looked at pictures of it online, because the seller only showed a couple and I'm glad I paid very little. No offense to anyone who has one of these and loves it, but this looks like it was cast by MotorMax. I'm really aghast at what I've seen in some of these pictures. This is one that looks best from the side with everything closed.

Once I receive these, I'll do a full picture coverage of them in a separate post.

Edited by THarrison351

45 minutes ago, THarrison351 said:

Well, This might end in a divorce for me, but I finally have two diecast cars I've lusted after for some time. The Hirohata Mercury is finally mine!

LHSide1-vi.jpg

That's not a picture of my car, but according to the seller and the pictures from eBay are not great, it's mint. I hope he's right. I'd given up on finding one to repair that was a reasonable price and started looking for one in good condition at a reasonable price. This turned out to be much easier. If it's not what the seller claims, it's going back. I do like that about eBay.

LHSide3-vi.jpg

Next I've been looking for this for almost a year. Franklin Mint 1939 Ford Convertible. Again, not my car, but the pictures from the seller were not the greatest and claimed to be mint. These have been on the market just out of my reach for what I wanted to pay and the ones that were obtainable were always missing the top and boot, and sometimes worse than that. Just like the Hirohata Mercury, if it's not as the seller claims, it's going back.

LHSide3-vi.jpg

Finally there's this, I saw this from Franklin Mint and I didn't ever remember seeing one. The price was ridiculously low. The seller had a the '32 hot rod coupe as well. I'd seen those before and it had a low bid. So I watched them both until the end and placed a low bid on the roadster and won. Well, then I looked at pictures of it online, because the seller only showed a couple and I'm glad I paid very little. No offense to anyone who has one of these and loves it, but this looks like it was cast by MotorMax. I'm really aghast at what I've seen in some of these pictures. This is one that looks best from the side with everything closed.

Once I receive these, I'll do a full picture coverage of them in a separate post.

image.png.1a7a166763db04e3083b84d134d774f3.png Mmmm,Hirohata Mercury!!

11 hours ago, THarrison351 said:

LOL!  Sounds like my house!   EXCEPT the Hirohata was my holy grail car, so I got a pass on the divorce on that one.   THe 39 is a great car.  THe driver door on mine doesn't fit perfectly - something about how hte hinge was installed and I don't want to force it too much.   Hope yours is perfect.   And I agree completely about the 32.   I love the paint, but the rest of it seemed pretty crude.,  I studied them and watched them and finally decided that I like my 5 plastic builtups better than the diecast and that they would do instead of a diecast.  I do hsave the stock black one at the bottom of my display of 32 Fords to show the stock version along with my hot rod collection.  

Good scores.   I'm waiting on three myself that my wife didn't initially agree easily with me buying.   Usually she asks me "Do you love it?" and if I say yes, then she says nothing else.   

Enjoy the Hirohata - lots of finger fun there - I like the working little anti scrape wheels under the rear bumper.  What a great touch!  

2 hours ago, 57peppershaker said:

The famous "Project X" car from Popular Hot Rodding magazine! B)

I was at Hobby Lobby yesterday and saw this on the shelf. I missed out on the light green "stock" version at Walmart. This is essentially the same car but painted tan?, ivory? I don't know. It also has a little black chin spoiler and stripes down the sides. It will definitely see a Snake-Fu session. Not sure where the folks heads were at when they painted the steering wheel. Wood spokes, metal wheel? The engine is interesting too. I'll take a better picture when I take it apart. The air filter is there (blue), then behind it are these two black long points (carburetors, not in picture) going down to the chassis plate, then no intake manifold. There's exhaust headers molded to the engine and that's it on the LH side. Well, for $20 I guess I shouldn't complain.

LHSide-vi.jpg

Front-vi.jpg

Interior-vi.jpg

Engine-vi.jpg

Nice 510.   My college roommate had a really ugly one.  4 Doors.  Rusty.  Had plumbing pipe or conduit for tailpipe.   I always think of him and how this is how he saw his car (don't we all?).   I do look at these and think about buying one, but never do.  

Here's my new arrivals.   And an oldie I found again recently.   Chrysler is the oldie.   Others are new to me.   Had to repair the 54 - lost a wheel in shipping.   I have to get a mirror for the Thunderbird.  And the Impala only came with top up.  I have a Revell builtup with top down, so I may not worry about it too much.   These are more examples of how much better cars can look with a good cleanup.  THey weren't bad, but the chrome was a bit dull and the Impala was pretty fuzzy with dust.  

IMG_20200223_133202206 SMALL.jpg

IMG_20200223_133008867 SMALL.jpg

IMG_20200223_133112245 SMALL.jpg

IMG_20200223_132352480.jpg

1 minute ago, THarrison351 said:

Those look nice Randy!

And I ALMOST got the whole lot of mint cars for less than $50 each with shipping - just a little over.  I think I did ok.  I have never run across ONE of these for less than $50, usually before shipping.  This was a Facebook deal, not an ebay deal.  

28 minutes ago, Snake45 said:

That Datsun is an M2, right? I've seen a few variations of that at Walmart and HL, but never in a color I particularly liked. I do like the car, though, and hope to get one someday. I appreciate your detailed photos and review, thanks! B)

Yes it's an M2. I left that out. It's the second 510 I've purchased from M2. I have a modified black red Advan too. I don't plan to do anything to that one.

1 hour ago, randyc said:

Oh yeah, seller threw this one in just to say "Thanks".  I'll be cleaning it up and see if I can find mirrors.   Any one want it?  Make offer.  

IMG_20200222_171015410.jpg

What year is that? It's a C4, right? I need one for my Vette collection just to have something of every generation. 

I'm interested in it, but not if you're asking an FM-type price for it. I'm a Welly/MotorMax/Maisto kinda guy, remember? B)

On 2/21/2020 at 2:43 PM, Snake45 said:

The famous "Project X" car from Popular Hot Rodding magazine! B)

Yep, very cool 57. Although dissapointed that it doesnt come with a hood and has bel air long spears, not the 210 short versions. Batterys in the trunk along with a Cragar spare.

Also shame its not available in Orange with a hood n not blown.....

IMG-20200224-WA0009.jpg

IMG-20200224-WA0008.jpg

IMG-20200224-WA0007.jpg

Edited by 57peppershaker