Model Cars Magazine Forum

May 2019 Round 2

Sledsel

11 minutes ago, Rob Hall said:

June may have the Dyno Don '66 Cyclone Eliminator II funny car, the garage lift and July the Autocar dump truck, '67 GTO w/ drag Christmas tree, and '63 Impala SS. 

Thanks for the heads up, guess my wallet can go into hibernation if that is what's coming from Round 2. Unless Revell has something I can't live without, I will have to build something from my stash!

2 hours ago, 1972coronet said:

I don't believe that the AMT Pinto had anything other than the stock OHC 4-banger ( and its unique-to-the-AMT-version C-4 transmission --- a rare and sought-after trans & bellhousing in the "1:1" world ! ) .

Now , MPC's Pintos (and Mustang II) had an optional 351-C ; perhaps that's what you're thinking of ? 

Put me down for one of those '77 Pinto kits --- great to see it make its triumphant return !

I'll take one of those '53 F-100 kits , too . While I have multiples of that bad boy ( number one  F-100 kit of the '53-'56 series , period ) , I'll get one just for that nifty soda vending machine and its dolly ! 

you would be right , I was thinking MPC !

Edited by Mr mopar

2 minutes ago, Richard Bartrop said:

The large scale Chevy has my interest, especially as it's coming out with stock tires this time around.   Now if they were to bring back the 1/16 '57 or '63 Corvettes,  I would really love to see those.

Didn't the first / earlier issues have stock tyres ? I built a few of those AMT 1/16 scale Chevys back in the early 80's ; I seem to recall stock Firestone tyres being included...

Too bad that Round2 didn't shake some of the late 70's / early 80's custom stuff out of this issue ( Cragar SSTs ? Turbo ? Not exactly the pinnacle of automotive customising , in my opinion ) and instead tool-up some vintage 50's-60's parts instead ( think : Corvette rocker arm covers , etc. ; chromed-reverse wheels ; gold line tyres...) .

1 hour ago, Mark said:

The earlier AMT Pinto kits (through about '75) had an optional Boss 429 engine.  Not exactly a realistic swap in 1:1 scale...

Neither is any V8 --- small-displacement Windsor or , especially , the Cleveland... let alone the 429/ 460 ! Why ? That stock differential ! It was , what , 6 7/8 ring gear ? Hardly acceptable even behind a 4-cylinder ! Perhaps it's an easy DIY swap , but it would be nice to see a 9" rear tooled up for the AMT and MPC Pinto and Mustang II .

Edited by 1972coronet

I was very excited when I first heard the Pinto was being reissued, until I learned it was the AMT kit. I wouldn’t walk across the road for one. I have a ‘76 in the stash for years, but will never build it. In fact I splashed out for an MPC ‘76 last year to build because the AMT just doesn’t cut it; weird body, very weak grill and tail lights, etc, etc. 

I'm excited about the Pinto kit. I have a real 79 Pinto full glass hatchback I am working on, not exactly stock. Fully caged, no fender wells, 8 inch rear (btw, the Mustang II with the 302, and some Pintos (V6 and some station wagons) came with the 8 inch). Putting a 351W in it. Fuel cell, battery in back, etc.

So I will be building the kit to match. Some work will be needed. :lol:

I also would like the 55 Chevy. One of those I always wanted, but never got.

I'm not a figure builder, but that Godzilla kit is really making me want it.

I'd take the 53 truck. Wouldn't build it as a Coke truck though. Too many memories of my first wife. She was/is (I imagine, haven't talked to her in 15 years) a big Coke collector. :(

Have to see what I can scrape up cash wise, all my spare money is going into the Pinto. And even some not so spare. :rolleyes:

Thanks,

Russ

4 hours ago, thatz4u said:

I like the Pinto, it's better than no Pinto at all, the Godzilla jeep is just a rehash of the Hogan's Heros kit.....

I like the Pinto also, I believe I have a 75 V-8 from an AMT kit if I get the urge to go custom....

3 hours ago, Rob Hall said:

June may have the Dyno Don '66 Cyclone Eliminator II funny car, the garage lift and July the Autocar dump truck, '67 GTO w/ drag Christmas tree, and '63 Impala SS. 

The garage lift is slated for this month (May).

7 hours ago, niteowl7710 said:

The garage lift is slated for this month (May).

May, June, whatever.  Round 2 release dates are never very precise.  It wasn't in the May video.   Some vendors list it as a June release...i figure it will show up whenever it does. 

7 hours ago, niteowl7710 said:

Wasn't the MPC Pinto gutted into make the asphalt modified Ridge Runner kit that was just reissued?

Well, the MPC Pinto wagon tooling still exists..I assume the hatchback and wagon shared the same tooling, they were both available in '78 then '79 was wagon only.  I assume the Ridge Runner kit shares no parts with the annuals. 

Edited by Rob Hall

1 hour ago, Rob Hall said:

May, June, whatever.  Round 2 release dates are never very precise.  It wasn't in the May video.   Some vendors list it as a June release...i figure it will show up whenever it does. 

Well, the MPC Pinto wagon tooling still exists..I wonder if the coupe and wagon shared most of the parts.  

Their videos aren't, but their distribution list is, and the May stuff is the Garage Lift, Pinto, Coked up '53 Ford, and 77 Firebird. The Firebird should be be available at most places already since my local place got it on Monday.

Even if the MPC wagon & hatchback shared chassis parts, the Ridge Runner hacked the body shell all to pieces and the body seems to be the knock on the AMT version.

36 minutes ago, niteowl7710 said:

Even if the MPC wagon & hatchback shared chassis parts, the Ridge Runner hacked the body shell all to pieces and the body seems to be the knock on the AMT version.

I assumed the Ridge Runner was just made up parts...very little of it resembles a stock body...I assume it and the other 3 modifieds were new tooling in the mid 70s independent of the annual street car kits. 

Edited by Rob Hall

12 hours ago, Richard Bartrop said:

The large scale Chevy has my interest, especially as it's coming out with stock tires this time around.   Now if they were to bring back the 1/16 '57 or '63 Corvettes,  I would really love to see those.

Why the convertible ? 

The Pinto is being pretty much issued in it's final tooling configuration. The '76 had the grill we all know and love, and it was in '77 that things got funky. Hopefully they are doing this before the back date the tooling to something most of us really want, the flat nose Pinto. 

Sadly, not my kit. 

Image result for AMT 76 Pinto

They need to dig up the MPC tooling and give us the goods! 

Image result for mpc 76 Pinto

Related image

The reissue of the '77 Pinto holds zero interest to myself. On the other hand the AMT '75 Pinto or the MPC '76 Pinto would be a must have. I do remember seeing a few of these Pintos from that era running around with small block Ford V8's and they were very fast little street cars. That is the way I'd build one if ever we get to see it again. I was able to pick up the Porsche Tractor yesterday. This looks like it could be a fun fast build. 

Edited by espo