Model Cars Magazine Forum

My recent purchases

junkyardjeff

Lately I have been getting some good deals on Danbury mint vehicles on ebay for around 20 dollars each,I did have to pay 40 for the 41 Chevy convertible that looked to not been out of the box much since it still had all the packing materials and the top was still wrapped up. The 42 Ford p/u is on the way and I can not build plastic for what I am paying for these so I am going to get all I can get if I can stay around the 20 dollar amount.

100_8775.JPG

100_8766.JPG

100_8785.JPG

s-l1600.jpg

I bought a BUNCH of mint cars in the last year.   As you have found, by watching you can find some really great pieces for cheap.  Some of my best scores were 6 cars for $75 with shipping.   Sold 5 of them for over $100 total and kept the ONE I wanted from the set.  Dirty cars sell cheap.  Can be cleaned and resold for better bucks.  I have green and blue 36s.   I have the 41.  You got a better deal.  Mine was $35 but no box.  

Broken cars are cheap too and if you can fix them... I got the white 53 Cadillac for $10 and had to fix the front wheels.  

Keep shopping and keep showing them off.  This is one place where we all seem to apprieciate the mint cars, even though they've been out of production for a while.  

I have been looking for a damaged 53 Chevy p/u to use for parts, there was one and it got up to close to the 20 dollars I have been getting nice ones for so I passed. I am looking for the 55 Ford 2 door hard top but they go for more then I want to pay.

I found a Franklin Mint 1948 Chrysler Town & Country yesterday for $10.  It's missing parts of course.   Mirrors, one door handle, a wiper.  But I think it will clean up nicely and I can put on the shelf at my office.  

I have a 53 GMC (limited edition) that is missing a bumper but I'm not willing to part with it.  I think I found a bumper that will work.

The 55 Ford runs around $35 for reasonable examples.  I have a pink/white, purple/white FMs and a black white DM.  Which one you want?  I might could part with the black white DM?   PM me.  Not sure I'm ready to go $20 though.  Maybe.  

I also know where a couple other cars are that I can get you for $20 each if you're interested.  PM me.

Pleasant eBay story here:

About a year ago I was looking for the Danbury Mint 1956 Buick Roadmaster Four Door.  I came across a seller that had a very nice one with only one issue----one of the fender ornaments was missing. He was asking I believe $80.00 which I saw as a very good price as those can be mighty pricey since they're no longer available.

Well, much to my surprise when I got the package, I opened it up and the model wasn't a '56 Buick, it was a Danbury Mint '55 Olds 88 Convertible! :o

I contacted the seller and he apologized profusely. He said that in the rush to get things out the door, he got the items mixed up as that was another one of his diecasts he had on auction. I offered to send the Olds back in exchange for the Buick, but he told me that instead of that, why don't I just keep the Olds and pay another $25 if I wanted, since it up to that point it had no takers. I said "DEAL"!! :D

I got a pristine condition Danbury Mint '55 Olds ragtop WITH its original box and papers and in the next couple days he had sent the Buick with no charge for the shipping. Now THAT's what I call an excellent eBayer!

Edited by MrObsessive

Very cool story Bill.  I've been involved in eBay transactions where sellers inadvertently sent two buyers the wrong package.  I remember mailing it back in one case,  and mailing it to the other buyer (who mailed me mine) in the other case.  The seller paid the postage.   I wouldn't dream of giving a seller like that bad feedback.  Stuff happens, and it's all about how they recovered.  All's well that ends well.

I especially like the Danbury pickups, since the vehicles are not available in scale otherwise.   When Avenel Hobbies in NJ closed down, he had a few in his display case.  I believe I gave him $50 each for them, perfect with boxes. 

image.png.fcb9c1ef6b0bbd63aef3a8b63e11ec01.png

1929 Dodge, 1931 Chevrolet and  1942 Ford.   I'm not thinking these will be coming out as kits anytime soon!

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 6/3/2019 at 9:38 AM, MrObsessive said:

Pleasant eBay story here:

About a year ago I was looking for the Danbury Mint 1956 Buick Roadmaster Four Door.  I came across a seller that had a very nice one with only one issue----one of the fender ornaments was missing. He was asking I believe $80.00 which I saw as a very good price as those can be mighty pricey since they're no longer available.

Well, much to my surprise when I got the package, I opened it up and the model wasn't a '56 Buick, it was a Danbury Mint '55 Olds 88 Convertible! :o

I contacted the seller and he apologized profusely. He said that in the rush to get things out the door, he got the items mixed up as that was another one of his diecasts he had on auction. I offered to send the Olds back in exchange for the Buick, but he told me that instead of that, why don't I just keep the Olds and pay another $25 if I wanted, since it up to that point it had no takers. I said "DEAL"!! :D

I got a pristine condition Danbury Mint '55 Olds ragtop WITH its original box and papers and in the next couple days he had sent the Buick with no charge for the shipping. Now THAT's what I call an excellent eBayer!

I've bought and sold hundreds of model cars on eBay over the last few years and I've done exactly the same thing; got mixed up and sent the wrong models to two buyers. I too apologized profusely and sent them prepaid return labels, then shipped them to the correct buyers. They both cooperated but it was a little embarrassing.