Model Cars Magazine Forum

1930 Packard Club sedan

landman

Good morning! (as of the time I'm posting this, anyway! ?) I have just read through this entire thread and I have learned a few things from a few of you and also I have been thoroughly entertained by this build! Please keep posting updates! This is one of the coolest builds I've seen in a while!! Thank you for sharing! Antonio

57 minutes ago, Tonioseven said:

Good morning! (as of the time I'm posting this, anyway! ?) I have just read through this entire thread and I have learned a few things from a few of you and also I have been thoroughly entertained by this build! Please keep posting updates! This is one of the coolest builds I've seen in a while!! Thank you for sharing! Antonio

Glad you like it. Sometimes I wonder what I got into here. But it is taking shape.

I just read through this entire post and love the project you have going here. I have a couple of these 20's vehicles to do someday although I am certain mine will be more OOB. My vote is for one of the last two paint schemes you posted (I really like the third). Now, time to go BACK to sleep....hopefully!

Later-

Looking at how to match or terminate the body's character lines. The spares are made. It looks like the only thing required to turn a Duesenberg interior into a Packard interior is a Packard dashboard. Since there will not be a division window I'll have to close that gap somehow.

IMG_9468.JPG

IMG_9469.JPG

IMG_9470.JPG

IMG_9471.JPG

On 9/24/2019 at 7:19 AM, landman said:

Looking at how to match or terminate the body's character lines. The spares are made. It looks like the only thing required to turn a Duesenberg interior into a Packard interior is a Packard dashboard. Since there will not be a division window I'll have to close that gap somehow.

IMG_9468.JPG

IMG_9469.JPG

IMG_9470.JPG

IMG_9471.JPG

Could I suggest one of three ways to address the character line issue. The first would be to add an extra line of moulding under the body moulding and carry that back to the C pillar. Then cut it upwards where the existing moulding ends. Maybe too fussy? If so, how about simply removing the moulding from the Packard hood? Or raise it to match where the moulding ends at the cowl?

20 minutes ago, Eric Macleod said:

Could I suggest one of three ways to address the character line issue. The first would be to add an extra line of moulding under the body moulding and carry that back to the C pillar. Then cut it upwards where the existing moulding ends. Maybe too fussy? If so, how about simply removing the moulding from the Packard hood? Or raise it to match where the moulding ends at the cowl?

Why didn't I think of that? Sheesh!

On 9/26/2019 at 6:14 AM, charlie8575 said:

The olive/ochre/khaki Packard Victoria is interesting.

The last Packard in black and silver would look nice, too.

Charlie Larkin

I think that is the scheme I'll pick but i can guarantee now that it will never be that shiny. I can't paint very well.

On 9/10/2019 at 8:06 PM, landman said:

Thanks Tom. Now black or white?

IMG_9415.JPG

IMHO , Black-walls would make an Eyesore out of the Replica Car . It was a premium Priced Car with Premium Tires in the day . This is not a 120 Model . Thank you for chosing these and not Eyesores . I am impressed with this build :) Thanx .. 

33 minutes ago, dimaxion said:

IMHO , Black-walls would make an Eyesore out of the Replica Car . It was a premium Priced Car with Premium Tires in the day . This is not a 120 Model . Thank you for chosing these and not Eyesores . I am impressed with this build :) Thanx .. 

And it is there where our paths diverge!

Not everyone wanted whitewalls back then, and it wasn't always about economics.  Here's an ad for a Cadillac V-16, and this body was the most expensive one you could get for that year. Clearly the folks at GM thought it looked just fine without them.

caddy_silver16.jpg

Edited by Richard Bartrop