Model Cars Magazine Forum

Model A Five-Window Coupe

Straightliner59

I may have missed the explanation, but why did you make the choice to link the spring to the brake backing plates? I don't think I've seen it done that way before as opposed to the typical link to the axle. Not saying it's wrong, but curious why you did it that way. I'm always looking to learn. 

7 hours ago, Mr. Metallic said:

I may have missed the explanation, but why did you make the choice to link the spring to the brake backing plates? I don't think I've seen it done that way before as opposed to the typical link to the axle. Not saying it's wrong, but curious why you did it that way. I'm always looking to learn. 

I did it that way, because, when I built "The Bug", that's how it was done, so, I did it out of familiarity. When I was looking for photos, it became apparent that guys mounted them in whatever way worked for them. It's not too late to change it, if it sits too high!

3 hours ago, CabDriver said:

This is a great build, I’m really enjoying it!

Quick question - who makes those nice model railroad bolts?  I’ve been looking for some like that for a project 

Thanks, Jim! Glad you're enjoying it. Grandt Line makes them (if they're still around). I think some may have been Detail Associates. Tichy Train Group has a good selection of plastic ones. Generally the HO scale ones fall in the best range of sizes for 1/24-1/25th scale models.

If this forum is anything to go by, we seem to be going through a golden age of hot rod building over the last twelve months or so.  There are probably a dozen members here building absolutely stunning rods, whether they be styled form the forties, the fifties, the sixties right up to today.  Seems like every time I log in there is something cool and inspirational to look at. And Daniel, your coupe illustrates exactly what I am talking about!

Such thoughtful design, and attention to detail, so that when the model is completed, I am sure, we will just look at it and go  "oh yeah!"

But I am glad you took the spring perches off the backing plates!  In real life that could only have ended in tears!

Cheers

Alan

4 hours ago, CabDriver said:

Brilliant!  Thank you!  I’ve got a bunch of their plastic ones, but I hadn’t seen the brass ones before.  Cool!  

The brass ones are especially nice in places where strength is needed. Hope you found some you can use!

2 hours ago, alan barton said:

If this forum is anything to go by, we seem to be going through a golden age of hot rod building over the last twelve months or so.  There are probably a dozen members here building absolutely stunning rods, whether they be styled form the forties, the fifties, the sixties right up to today.  Seems like every time I log in there is something cool and inspirational to look at. And Daniel, your coupe illustrates exactly what I am talking about!

Such thoughtful design, and attention to detail, so that when the model is completed, I am sure, we will just look at it and go  "oh yeah!"

But I am glad you took the spring perches off the backing plates!  In real life that could only have ended in tears!

Cheers

Alan

Thank you, Alan! I appreciate those kind words, sir! As I previously mentioned, I had mounted it that way, because The Bug was done that way. Of course, that car was built to go straight, whether on the track, or the lakes. You're right! Probably not very conducive to all-around driving. Plus, I needed to move them, because it just sat too high.

2 hours ago, Mike Williams said:

Hi Dan, looking good!

Excellent work and great incentive for moving a step forward for our modeling experience.

Mike..

Thanks, Mike! I've been watching your Old Master come together. Looks like it is getting close! Good job!

Some of the assemblies are getting close to completion of the "figgerin' out" phase. I made the front spring perches from three pieces of brass, each. I used an HO handrail stanchion for the main structure. The eye for the shackles is 3/64" brass tube, cut 3/32" long. That tube was then soldered to the handrail stanchion. Finally, I cut a 1/32" length of the 3/64" tube, to slide over the peg end of the stanchion, to give the assembly some elevation. The ball end of the stanchion will mount the shock arm. In this group of photos, everything is white glued to the chassis.

One of my goals for this project, is to attempt to assemble the entire thing, be it pinned or white glued, before It's disassembled and painted. I have never really focused on that aim, but, I have had to accept many flaws, over the years, because I got too far ahead of myself.

DSC_0003cr.jpg

DSC_0009cr.jpg

DSC_0014cr.jpg

DSC_0016cr.jpg

DSC_0020cr.jpg

Early this morning, I was digging parts from the kit box, and discovered that the  lid for the rumble seat is missing. I thought about trying to find a parts kit I could pick up, for a reasonable price. Looking at the open space in the body, I decided it wouldn't be too difficult to make one. I got out a section of .030" sheet and began working it to shape, sanding it to size. I began by "cold curling" the sheet. Once I'd gotten it as close to shape as it would go, sans heat, I turned the blow dryer on  low heat, and applied that, for as long as I comfortably could, while pulling the curves tighter. After repeating that a couple of times, I had a panel that's usable. Since I'm not going to have an opening trunk/rumble seat, I can cement it into its final position. I ended up giving the panel one more heat treatment, after these photos were taken. It fits better, now.

DSC_0001cr.jpg

DSC_0002cr.jpg

DSC_0003cr.jpg

DSC_0007cr.jpg

Your new lid will probably fit much better than the kit-supplied one.

Out of the box, there are large gaps and fit isn't 100% optimum anyhow. An acceptable fit with the kit's trunk/rumble seat lid requires building up the sides with styrene to close those gaps for a proper scale appearance.

1 hour ago, gman said:

Your new lid will probably fit much better than the kit-supplied one.

Out of the box, there are large gaps and fit isn't 100% optimum anyhow. An acceptable fit with the kit's trunk/rumble seat lid requires building up the sides with styrene to close those gaps for a proper scale appearance.

Thanks, Greg! It fits tightly, now, for sure. All I need to do is ease the edges, and cement it into place.