Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/25 AMT 1977 Ford Delivery Van w/Coke Machine

Casey

• 4 weeks later...

So, I was looking at this kit in a LHS over the weekend, and was considering picking it up.  I saw that the kit has a V8 engine (302 or 351, not sure).  Now if I do get the kit, I'm not going to do an engine swap, but it got me to thinking.  The standard engine in the 1977 Econoline van is the 4.6L six cylinder (V6, I'm guessing).  Does anyone think Coca-Cola would spring for the optional V8 over the V6 in this type of van?

44 minutes ago, Jim B said:

So, I was looking at this kit in a LHS over the weekend, and was considering picking it up.  I saw that the kit has a V8 engine (302 or 351, not sure).  Now if I do get the kit, I'm not going to do an engine swap, but it got me to thinking.  The standard engine in the 1977 Econoline van is the 4.6L six cylinder (V6, I'm guessing).  Does anyone think Coca-Cola would spring for the optional V8 over the V6 in this type of van?

I could be wrong (it's happened before) but I think it would be an inline-6.  The 300 was 4.9 liters, and I believe the only other displacement for the truck 6 was 240, but that would be less than the 4.6L you mentioned, and I believe it was out of production by 1977 also.  If the inline is correct, the 6 from the Moebius F-150s would be a good start.

46 minutes ago, Jim B said:

That's a good question. I drove two of these as work trucks, and both had V-8's. The 8's would have had more torque and allowed for more weight to be carried. I do know that one that I drove was a heavy duty chassis, and often carried pretty heavy loads (lots and lots of newspapers). I can attest to the fact that they were good running, comfortable trucks.  

There is the issue of getting the right 6. The standard engine would have been Ford's straight 6. You can find them in resin, but there is no current kit source that I know of for a Ford straight 6. 

I'd be more concerned with the hubcaps & the right tires. Most fleet and work trucks did not come with full / sport wheelcovers. Bill's caps are just the ticket for a good work truck build.  

I might have to build my old office.    

39 minutes ago, CapSat 6 said:

There is the issue of getting the right 6. The standard engine would have been Ford's straight 6. You can find them in resin, but there is no current kit source that I know of for a Ford straight 6. 

How much of the engine can you actually see?  In my experience with van kits, you can only see the bottom of the engine anyway. Which makes it a lot easier!  

56 minutes ago, Tom Geiger said:

How much of the engine can you actually see?  In my experience with van kits, you can only see the bottom of the engine anyway. Which makes it a lot easier!  

Also true, and I guess that was the point I was zeroing in on...although this kit does have an opening hood and a relatively large engine room, if it were me building it, I would probably just use the kit-supplied V-8, rather than spend the $$$ on a nice resin 6 that will be somewhat covered up anyway. I'd use that 6 in something weird, like a Sportsroof Mustang instead!   

1 hour ago, Tom Geiger said:

From the review of the 1977 Crusin' Van, you can see the bottom of the engine & the fan, and that's about it.

Essentially it's the same kit, with different decals & a Coke machine.

Not sure if this is specific to the Club line of the E-Series ; however , it does mention that the 300 ( 4.9 litre ) six is standard , with the 351 (unspecified if it's the 335-Series "M" or the Windsor) and 400 ( AFAIK , that's the 335-Series engine) .

http://oldcarbrochures.org/United States/Ford Motor Company Trucks-Vans/1977_Trucks_and_Vans/1977-Ford-Club-Wagons-Brochure/slides/1977_Ford_Club_Wagons-04-05.html

3 hours ago, Jim B said:

From the review of the 1977 Crusin' Van, you can see the bottom of the engine & the fan

What I thought! The last two Dodge vans I did, I only assembled the block with water pump, belts, fan and exhaust. Saved the upper end parts for a future build!

I also built a Jimmy Flintstone Dodge A100 van with a used slant six block just to see who would notice!

On 1/27/2020 at 11:57 AM, Tom Geiger said:

How much of the engine can you actually see?

The hood on these kits is a separate piece, so while the drivetrain is tucked away, you can still see the top end when you open or remove the hood.

I won't buy the entire kit, but I will seek out the vending machine and decal sheet on eBay.

Edited by Casey

On 1/27/2020 at 12:56 PM, CapSat 6 said:

Also true, and I guess that was the point I was zeroing in on...although this kit does have an opening hood and a relatively large engine room, if it were me building it, I would probably just use the kit-supplied V-8, rather than spend the $$$ on a nice resin 6 that will be somewhat covered up anyway. I'd use that 6 in something weird, like a Sportsroof Mustang instead!   

In my build, I just am doing a basic kit engine build and gluing the hood shut since you can’t see much anyways. You could just find any ford inline 6 to put in if you wanted to go that route, and either glue the hood shut or find some basic parts to replicate the actual engine.

On 12/29/2019 at 9:35 PM, Renegade said:

Put me down foe two. One for the girlfriends Coke model collection and the other for the goodies for my Texaco station. Not sure about the other van. Kinda leaning towards an old custom van from the 70s or 80s. Way beyond my pay level but it's fun to dream.

I love the old rerto 70s custom vans..built many of them as a kid even owned a 75 Dodge factory custom one once Goodtimes conversion...love to build a replica of it someday.

35 minutes ago, Oldcarfan27 said:

Learn something new every day.

Still, it doesn't fit with the time period of the van. Coke bottles were clear by 1977.

In NC I was buying,  mid 1980's,  16 oz glass bottle Cokes at my local gas station........they were a very light green but green tint. The NC Coke bottler, CCCC is bigger than the parent Coke Co of Atlanta.....or was back then. So things may differ by region. 

7 hours ago, ranma said:

These are bottles used after '77 Still the light green glass.... ***Note the BAR Code*****

Bar code and zip code!  Reminds me of the antique shop that had an original 1955 Chevy kit... mint and in the shrink wrap from 1955!  I got kicked out of the shop for pointing out to the dealer that it had a bar code and zip code!  

On ‎1‎/‎27‎/‎2020 at 10:16 AM, CapSat 6 said:

There were no V6s in these. Just as an aside, there is a fairly reasonable facsimile of the correct Ford 240/300 in some of the moeb F100 kits.

Edited by mk11

8 hours ago, mk11 said:

There were no V6s in these. Just as an aside, there is a fairly reasonable facsimile of the correct Ford 240/300 in some of the moeb F100 kits.

That's good to know! Still-  it would almost be a waste to put one of those sixes into this van, you wouldn't see much of it.

Maybe some caster out there can develop an inexpensive block/ trans/pan kit for these.

• 2 years later...