Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/25 AMT 1970.5 Camaro Z28 - Full Bumper

Casey

The full front bumper looks better with the tall rear spoiler IMO. Include the high back buckets and you can make any late '70 to '73 Z28.  I know the high back bucket seats would be too much to ask for, but they should've at least included the tall rear spoiler as an option.  Cannibalizing it from a Baldwin Motion kit makes that kit unusable except for spare parts.  All BM cars had the tall rear spoiler option, I believe.    

22 minutes ago, the other Mike S. said:

Cannibalizing it from a Baldwin Motion kit makes that kit unusable except for spare parts.  All BM cars had the tall rear spoiler option, I believe.    

And also the BM Camaro only comes with the non-factory L88 hood. 

• 3 months later...
On 10/17/2019 at 1:47 PM, Rob Hall said:

Hopefully the new grille and bumper will be cast as separate pieces...with the bumper separate, it would be possible to do a custom front like this--split RS bumper on a standard style front end.

70-73camarostandard with rs bumpers.jpg

That's not an RS.

21 minutes ago, sladeballz said:

That's not an RS.

I didn't say that.  That's an RS bumper on a standard front end.   The RS bumper is two pieces.   I've seen a bunch like this over the years, it's a common modification to the standard front end. 

Edited by Rob Hall

4 hours ago, Rob Hall said:

I didn't say that.  That's an RS bumper on a standard front end.   The RS bumper is two pieces.   I've seen a bunch like this over the years, it's a common modification to the standard front end. 

Yeah, I just saw one like that on last week's Memphis Street Outlaws. I think it was a St. Louis car, I don't think it was one of MSO's. 

On 2/5/2020 at 8:20 PM, the other Mike S. said:

The full front bumper looks better with the tall rear spoiler IMO. Include the high back buckets and you can make any late '70 to '73 Z28.  I know the high back bucket seats would be too much to ask for, but they should've at least included the tall rear spoiler as an option.  Cannibalizing it from a Baldwin Motion kit makes that kit unusable except for spare parts.  All BM cars had the tall rear spoiler option, I believe.    

I've got a resin casted tall rear spoiler for the 70 Camaro (it was technically a 70 1/2)   Email me at harkinsp@comcast.net with your postal address if you still need one.

• 3 weeks later...

Anybody have any news regarding this kit? I started doing a conversion a few years ago and is the last project on my started but unfinished list so I am tempted to get back at it and try to finish it before the new kit comes out. I have done the same thing a number of times before - Corvette C5R, Viper 2-Gen Coupe, Ferrari 599 GTO and 32 Ford 5-W Coupe 

20 hours ago, Phildaupho said:

Anybody have any news regarding this kit? I started doing a conversion a few years ago and is the last project on my started but unfinished list so I am tempted to get back at it and try to finish it before the new kit comes out. I have done the same thing a number of times before - Corvette C5R, Viper 2-Gen Coupe, Ferrari 599 GTO and 32 Ford 5-W Coupe 

From what I've read, it's been delayed due to some re-tooling problems.

On 6/5/2020 at 11:25 AM, Luc Janssens said:

From what I've read, it's been delayed due to some re-tooling problems.

Another one I'm waiting for. I love the both the regular and RS front ends. I maybe lean to the RS front end a bit more. But, we've had enough models of the RS versions over the years. The regular full bumper front end will be a nice change. 

Edited by unclescott58

I am not waiting. The grill area was turned upside down, the small inner lights filled, the parking light area under the bumpers cut opened and filled, the center part of the bumper from a 70 Mustang. I am building the Chaparral Trans Am racecar.

2v2HYwW4MximYT.jpg

6 hours ago, Force said:

That can may be be the case.

That is the case. James Duff mentioned it here on the forum, and Jamie from Round2 pretty much confirmed it in the livestream video they had a few months ago.

4 hours ago, Phildaupho said:

I am not waiting. The grill area was turned upside down, the small inner lights filled, the parking light area under the bumpers cut opened and filled, the center part of the bumper from a 70 Mustang. I am building the Chaparral Trans Am racecar.

2v2HYwW4MximYT.jpg

Cool! Drive on! B)

Before Modelhaus went OOB I ordered a couple of the full-bumper fronts from the original AMT '70, having determined from an eBay glue bomb that the piece could be made to fit into a current-prod RS kit. 

6 hours ago, Casey said:

That is the case. James Duff mentioned it here on the forum, and Jamie from Round2 pretty much confirmed it in the livestream video they had a few months ago.

It was confirmed in that live stream that the problem is the new tool 70.5 Camaro from the 90s isn't actually equilateral when comparing the two front fenders side to side so the new front nose piece didn't fit...at all. This is the reason these "new" kits based on old tooling are so labor intensive and take so long to finish and you see things like the Vegas just getting entirely new bodies done.

On 6/7/2020 at 12:47 AM, Casey said:

Well I ordered this Full Bumper Camaro from Jack at Model Roundup back in early February as he then had it as a February 2020 release, then the Covid19 thing came and everything was halted and a month later I ended up cancelling the order for the Camaro so I could get the other things I ordered.
So I believe the Covid19 also has something to do with the 8 month delay.

Edited by Force

The livestream video that was done was the 31st of January and they were on just starting their second go-around trying to get the front core tooling sorted out at that point.  So while Coronavirus has invariably delayed things since then, there was 0 chance that kit was ever coming out in February.  

• 1 month later...