Model Cars Magazine Forum

Testor brand paints discontinued? (Short answer: No)

3 hours ago, DukeE said:

Hygiene trailing in 3rd

I LOL'd at those. 

I dunno, after attending a show/swap last week for the first time in a while I'd say first!? If you have enough money to fill your trunk with kits, you have enough for a bar of soap! If it was one or two guys that's one thing, almost smelled better out back with the smokers.

Sorry for going a bit off topic but jeez...

10 hours ago, Phirewriter said:

I dunno, after attending a show/swap last week for the first time in a while I'd say first!? If you have enough money to fill your trunk with kits, you have enough for a bar of soap! If it was one or two guys that's one thing, almost smelled better out back with the smokers.

Sorry for going a bit off topic but jeez...

At one show there was a guy who smelled like he needed his diaper changed!  Maybe that's a swap meet tactic to keep people from crowding in for the good deals?! ?

• Dave Ambrose changed the title to Testor brand paints discontinued? (Short answer: No)
  • 4 months later...

So I've been seeing stuff about this brought on Facebook again recently, are they now getting rid of Model Master paints or is it just BS again?

Edit: after reading around a bit, I find nothing concrete and figure it's probably just residuals from last fall.

Edited by Jordan White

I had an old can of Sapphire (?) Blue Metalflake  that I decanted for a project. Needed more none of the local stores carried it. So I ordered a can off ebay along with a couple bottles for backup. 

So yes it is still out there just not locally in my area

Edited by Jon Haigwood

20 hours ago, Jordan White said:

So I've been seeing stuff about this brought on Facebook again recently, are they now getting rid of Model Master paints or is it just BS again?

Edit: after reading around a bit, I find nothing concrete and figure it's probably just residuals from last fall.

Yup, appears to be residuals.

The new wrinkle is that a well respected LHS in Burbank CA posted something on their website and it was then shared by other outlets on FB, causing the spread again.

Edited by Mr. Metallic

26 minutes ago, Mr. Metallic said:

Yup, appears to be residuals.

The new wrinkle is that a well respected LHS in Burbank CA posted something on their website and it was then shared by other outlets on FB, causing the spread again. But calls to RPM and Rustoleum confirm that it is still just a hoax.

This is on Testor's official Facebook page:

Testors
Testors Hi Robert, thank you for reaching out. As a manufacturer of paint products, we have a long history of producing hobby kits and supplies. To that end, we are evolving our strategy to focus more keenly on Testors, our flagship brand and are discontinuing our Pactra, Aztek, and Model Master Brands as the demand for these products continue to decline.

We will continue to support the hobby market with a robust line of aerosols, brush paints, tools, and accessories and always looking for opportunities to innovate in these categories. Please keep in mind that we do have limited quantities available and hobby shops will have access to that inventory.

You can view our available Testors products that will continue to be produced here:

http://spr.ly/61861vP0G

As well, from the Finescale forum, someone reached out to testor's directly and received this response:

Testors sent me an email today:

ROProductSupport (roproductsupport@rustoleum.com)To:you Details

Hello David,

Thank you for contacting Rust-Oleum Product Support.

Yes this is correct that we are discontinuing the Model Masters and Aztek products. Unfortunately due to the lack of support for these product lines we made the difficult decision.

The Testors line of paints, both enamel and acrylic, are still being manufactured and there are plans to expand the color lines.

If you have any additional questions or concerns please do not hesitate to contact us.

Thank you,

Geoff

So the Aztek airbrushes are discontinued.  I've used one for years, along with a Sotar 20/20. 

I like the convenience of the Aztek but it's not the end of my airbrush world.  I'm pretty good at taking Azteks apart and fixing them, thanks to some tutorials available on the web.  If all else fails, I've been eyeing one of those neat pistol-grip airbrushes anyway.