Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/25 AMT 1977 Ford Pinto Popper

Casey

I think this kit is based upon what remains from the pre-'79 1/25 AMT Ford Pinto annual, when it was customized and releases as the "Pintera"?

AMT1166M1977PopperPinto.jpg.36a12bf0fa68afbd4f1e27d577388304.jpg

Some pics of the 1/25 AMT Pintera kit below. Note the long side panel drawing closely matches the Popper's drawing, as pointed out by Rob Hall a few weeks ago:

AMTPintera.jpg.95e22112ada49a6954108a51ee2d8f16.jpg

AMTPinteraParts.jpg.04584d2febc7a525daf7b0a780718b4b.jpg

Edited by Casey

4 minutes ago, Casey said:

I think so. The Pintera was an April 1976 release:

Never had the kit, the only AMT Pinto I have is the recent '77 reissue that only builds stock.  But I googled the Pintera a while back and it appeared that one side of the box shows a stock '76.  Wouldn't mind building a stock '76 as a gift to my sister, her first car was a blue '76 Runabout..   closest I have now is an MPC '74. 

Edited by Rob Hall

6 minutes ago, Rob Hall said:

So it will be interesting to see if the engine parts appear... the '77 as last seen was stock only. 

It seems likely the stock '76 parts are gone, and the Popper kit is just Round2 reissuing the 1977 Pinto kit, but this time with only the custom building option.

3 hours ago, Casey said:

I think this kit is based upon what remains from the pre-'79 1/25 AMT Ford Pinto annual, when it was customized and releases as the "Pintera"?

AMT1166M1977PopperPinto.jpg.36a12bf0fa68afbd4f1e27d577388304.jpg

That's pretty cool (except for all the Coke junk all over it), but I still can't get past that butt-ugly Pinto roof, one of the ugliest roofs ever put on an American car. I wonder what could be done to fix it? Might have to just whack it clean off and make a phantom convertible out of it. 

9 hours ago, Snake45 said:

That's pretty cool (except for all the Coke junk all over it), but I still can't get past that butt-ugly Pinto roof, one of the ugliest roofs ever put on an American car. I wonder what could be done to fix it? Might have to just whack it clean off and make a phantom convertible out of it. 

si1.jpg

I want one to build a mini stock that we normally see running on tracks all over the country.....four cylinder engines, hoosier racing tires, stripped interior and tons of fun!  my son and I raced a mini stock for about 9 years....what a blast!!!  I think I might need 2 or 3 if they are actually going to be released....

I remember in the early '70's when a lot of guys were putting small blocks in their Vegas there was another guy running around town with a dark brown Pinto Hatchback with a hot 289 in it. That thing would fly. I'm thinking that's the way I'll build mine with a Cobra equipped small block Ford engine. It will not be brown . 

On 11/13/2019 at 10:30 PM, Snake45 said:

I've got an original Pintera (already started when I got it).  I was thinking about filling in the quarter windows and cutting away the roof directly over the front seat area, maybe a T-roof.  I think one of the custom bumpers is missing or damaged in mine, so I'll pick one of these up to get fresh plated parts.  The Turbo engine can go into something else too.  The AMT Pinto has an automatic transmission, and to me the engine looks a bit better than MPC's.

The Pangra conversion would look cool on a wagon, IMO.

3 minutes ago, Mikey56 said:

I've looked at I can't seem to find this one anywhere on the Round 2 site. Anyone know if this is actually going to be released?

If you're using Round2's site as a guide, you'll be at least six or seven months behind. Their site is not up to date at all, and many kits they've released aren't shown nor mentioned there, but their retail arm, Autoworldstore.com , is slightly better.

An internet search will pull up multiple sources for future, current, and past kit releases, so you can cross check and verify. Kits which are announced/shown do occasionally get cancelled, but very rarely after new box art is created and sent out.

Edited by Casey