Model Cars Magazine Forum

Airfix BMW M1 road car 1:24

Funkychiken

Finally moved house and settled down. But the wife is adament to keep me of the bench - too much to do around the house. So I've resurrected this kit. I had opened it and started to prime about 2 years ago. the windscreen came smashed in the kit, so I bought another kit - intending to mould a new screen using a bit of clear packaging and a hair dryer.

the kit itself is quite basic, one piece interior, no door cards, no engine detail, and it's made for a motor to the rear wheels.

I am going to spruce up the interior a little - you propably wont see all the effort in the built car.

It will be finished in white with a BMW racing stripe along the entire car - that I intend on doing with the AB... we'll see.

the kit decals are dead, but wont really need them.

85754_BoxArt.JPG.bc014b396b1a0644fdfead65012f9d34.JPG

interior.jpg

New Headlights.jpg

rear.jpg

side view.jpg

front quarter new lights fitted.jpg

19 hours ago, afx said:

I'll be following Atin.

Thaks JC!

13 hours ago, Nells250 said:

Interesting subject... but what am I missing with the headlights?  Why did you add/change the "squares"?  

The original kit did not come with any "Closed" headlight squares

13 hours ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

My guess would be to correct those huge gaps around the kit parts.

So I made some a few years ago - with thick plastistruct, and it left a huge gap around the closed lights....

13 hours ago, Nells250 said:

Yeah, I was thinking that myself... But that technique would add enough material to ruin the "flushness", wouldn't it?  We can see where he sanded beforehand.  Need more intel!

?

....and they were noticable Underflush! So I got some thin plastistruct and made them a tighter fit, then, as they were slightly overflush, I sanded them back

11 hours ago, Dann Tier said:

I'm glad you are settling in now, bud!......i'm gonna love following this!!....even though its very basic, i think this kit has enough good things about it to tweak it into an EXTREMELY nice curbside!!!....i love tweaking these kinds of kits!!

Thanks Dann I'll TRY - my old set up was in a converted garage - so separate to my main house, meant i could use sprays when ever i like, but conversley; it was too hot in the summer & too cold in the winter, now i'm in-doors, but I cant spray solvents when ever I like!

Here are some picks, the new kit (for the new windscreen) has the same seep pockets for lights.

the lights that come with the kit (both the old and the new) are awful

The windscreen is unfortunately smashed!

Interesting thing about the new kit, is that it appears to be a re-release - with new box art - then I looked closer, the image has the lights closed! Inside the new kit box, as part of one of the sprues, there were closed headlamp covers! never mind...

Deep pockets1.jpg

Kit lights are awful2.jpg

Newr box2.jpg

window piece2.jpg

9 hours ago, Funkychiken said:

Here are some picks, the new kit (for the new windscreen) has the same seep pockets for lights.

the lights that come with the kit (both the old and the new) are awful

The windscreen is unfortunately smashed!

Interesting thing about the new kit, is that it appears to be a re-release - with new box art - then I looked closer, the image has the lights closed! Inside the new kit box, as part of one of the sprues, there were closed headlamp covers! never mind...

Deep pockets1.jpg

Kit lights are awful2.jpg

Newr box2.jpg

window piece2.jpg

DAAAAAANG!!!!!

Good to see a road version of the M1 being built. Its an iconic car. I think Lamborghini were involved with the design.

I've got an Esci version of the M1, and had always assumed the Airfix kit was the same tooling, but its totally different.

Good start with this project. I think it will make a beautiful curbside.

On 12/17/2019 at 5:37 AM, beeRS said:

Good to see a road version of the M1 being built. Its an iconic car. I think Lamborghini were involved with the design.

I've got an Esci version of the M1, and had always assumed the Airfix kit was the same tooling, but its totally different.

Good start with this project. I think it will make a beautiful curbside.

Thanks Sonny!

A bit of progress yesterday...

boot lid doesn't seem to exist in the real road going cars, so I've filled the gaps

the cowel has sink marks - which means I loose the grain - never mind!

the dash looks nothing like a real car dash, Im half tempted to make a new one, maybe a quarter tempted, but I'm most likely going to leave it as is...

The fuel filler point appears in pictures on both sides of the car, and not in the place of the original, so I've made new ones

the interior tub has had the seat cut out - no turning back now!

the second but last picture shows what's left of the steering wheel after cutting it free from the sprue - it fell apart!

the shell didn't come with a tail pipe outlet, so one will be cut out...

onwards & upwards

boot lid.jpg

cowel.jpg

dash.jpg

fuel filler.jpg

interior less seats.jpg

steering wheel.jpg

tail pipes.jpg

10 hours ago, Dann Tier said:

I'm glad you're still gonna stick to it, bud!.....it WILL be worth it!!!

Thanks Dann

10 hours ago, Pete75 said:

Cool! I'll enjoy watching ?

I hope to enjoy the journey too

16 hours ago, dublin boy said:

I have glass for that would you believe!

There's a slight crack, but you can't see it when it's fitted into the bodyshell.

Yours if you want it.

Ill be over in the UK on Boxing Day. If you're near Coventry you can pick it up, or I can post it from there.

Thanks Stay, that's a really nice offer, I'm not near Coventry, I'm down in Essex, however, I am going to try to make a screen out of chocolate packaging  plastic! 

I built this kit last summer. The body is fine enough, but the wheels are terrible, and it took a lot of fiddling and modifying to get them into a position that looked even remotely accurate.

With the work you're putting in to this, it should turn out much nicer than mine did.

On 12/22/2019 at 5:52 PM, iamsuperdan said:

I built this kit last summer. The body is fine enough, but the wheels are terrible, and it took a lot of fiddling and modifying to get them into a position that looked even remotely accurate.

With the work you're putting in to this, it should turn out much nicer than mine did.

Hey Superdan, thanx, please post a pic of your build !

• 1 month later...

Black bits now primed with Zero grey primer & filler, and coated in Thinned Tamiya X-18 thru and AB.

The wheels where primed with Zero grey, then ALclad black, then Alclad silver, topped off with Zero 1K clear. they'll get a wash before going on.

still priming the body, sanding and repriming... the filler i'm using keeps showing up errors and faults...

black bits.jpg

wheels.jpg

Oooh! How'd I miss this one?? I'll definitely be following along! So far this is looking good and I too thought that all of these kits had engines.

I have a couple of the ESCI kits, but the one kit the body has wider wheel well flares than the other. I think the wider flared car might be a later issue? They both have the same box art.

Been there done that with moving! Took me a couple months or so to get back in the swing of things with building and it's still taking a bit of getting used to. I haven't attempted airbrushing anything yet as I need to hook up the accordion dryer hose to vent the fumes for the booth and then make some sort of outlet for the paint spray to be vented outside.

Why are so many wives slavedrivers?  Looks like a challenging project, will be watching.  I saw an Andy Warhol decal for sale on a Facebbook Marketplace, but seller wanted resin / p-e wheels and resin hood to go with it (for the ESCI kit).  I have 4 lifetimes supply of these badges, if you want any.

IMG_7036_Fotor.jpg