Model Cars Magazine Forum

What Did You Accomplish Today? (Model Car Work)

Finished the last bit of airbrushing on my Impala build for NNL East...this body was ALL little bits of airbrushing where it was ‘paint a layer, wait a day, paint the next bit, wait a day’...pleased to get this last little bit (the blue glow around the graveyard scene) done:

3CABDAF9-F16A-4DCB-B62B-1D1713C86880.thumb.jpeg.7cd2cb0556554ff4b3fb65a5ced671c4.jpeg

On 3/12/2020 at 6:16 AM, ChrisBcritter said:

Test fitted the engine again and it looks like the alternator will interfere with the hood. Huzzah. 

And so did the oil filler tube. White knuckle time - cut the cap off the oil filler tube with a photoetch saw (without hitting the throttle return spring, thank goodness), then driiled it out so it would sit lower on the tube.

Then cut the fan belt/alternator off and VERY carefully  shortened it, and carved slots in the pulleys to give some glue area. Gently reinstalled the belt and wedged it to keep it still while it dries. Managed to do it without knocking any plug wires loose (whew).

Thing is, I bought this NOS '64 Nova 327 engine in the first place because I figured everything was engineered to fit (WTF AMT?)! :wacko:

Finished up the rescue of an old '69 Barracuda that I started many months ago. It's my 18th finished project of the year, and I think my 7th rescue of the year.

Guess I've put off finishing up my BOYD build EMPI Imp as long as I can. I really need to get back on that little beast if I want to get it done by the end of the month. :unsure:

Got the blue metalflake paint polished out on the EMPI Imp that I'm trying to get finished for the BOYD build. Been dreading/dodging/ducking the task for a month, so I'm glad that's behind me, and it only took an hour or a little more. :D

Next big job on this build will be to either fix the glue-bombed, parts-missing VW engine the project came with, or find and build something else suitable. Not looking forward to that either, but the deadline is just one week away. Oh well, when the engine is built, it SHOULD be all downhill from there. 

BTW, before painting the body, I painted the rear seats pearl white and masked them, and pre-foiled the hood EMPI emblem and masked that. After polishing, I got to unveil the emblem and seats, and they both came out pretty good. 

21 hours ago, NOBLNG said:

Detached the headrests on the Ferrari seats. Still need to trim the pins to length.

7811EB2A-8E8A-4D63-B93D-FA44C8CC5C38.jpeg

12DEA59C-A65C-4DA3-8F6A-88DD0127B159.jpeg

I would leave them as is in the photo. this will draw attention to the changes you have done, plus driver and passenger head rests are usually set at different heights anyway. 

2 hours ago, espo said:

I would leave them as is in the photo. this will draw attention to the changes you have done, plus driver and passenger head rests are usually set at different heights anyway. 

They are both done, but I will be setting them at different heights. I have often thought of  sliding the passenger seat father forward also, but always wind up mounting them even. ?

14 minutes ago, NOBLNG said:

They are both done, but I will be setting them at different heights. I have often thought of  sliding the passenger seat father forward also, but always wind up mounting them even. ?

That would be another good idea when trying to make a model as realistic as possible, in fact I'm going to try and  remember that idea.  

Decided on an engine for the EMPI Imp, and started on it. (I had several options, none of which particularly appealed to me.) Decided to go with the Corvair from AMT Parts Pack--an old Blueprinter Exclusive issue molded in a dark metallic gray. I have an all-chrome one, too, but thought that would be too "blingy." This one should look nice with some Silver Sharpie and Molotow highlights. 

55FF95DB-4286-411C-BD73-F7B7893909FA.thumb.jpeg.817b0685285ae959a05dd5158e555731.jpeg

I’m participating in the Isolation 500 build on Facebook. I’m building an AMT 1950 Chevy pickup from three parts kits. Just for fun.

The build started at 6pm today and runs through Monday noon, or whenever you finish. One can start a new build or work on an existing project. Very loose, the whole idea is to have fun and some camaraderie while we are stuck at home.

Just now, Tom Geiger said:

Cool!  I built one a while back and found it fiddly, with seams and ejector pin marks on much of the delicate chrome chassis bits. 

Your impression?

I agree. This is a very fiddly kit. I did some touch-up with a Molotov pen, but really, you should strip the chrome, clean up the parts, then use Alclad chrome. You also need to be extra careful with the rear suspension. Mine wasn't quite symmetrical. I didn't measure them, but I don't think the trailing arms are the same.

I built mine back when the kit first reappeared. Prior to that it was a multi-hundred dollar kit. So I bought one and got a thrill at digging into it.

This was before all the chrome choices we have today. I stripped it all, cleaned up all the mess and used Testors Metalizers. 

Still working on the 1988 Lola Buick that was Johnny Rutherford's last Indy start.

r2.jpg.9b6df8a3dc9c9070cf4ddef4369f3b4b.jpg

It's coming together OK, but I was delayed by the paint. I had to do the engine cover again when I discovered I got the paint scheme backwards (duh). Yellow is supposed to be in the aft portion. I was in a hurry and didn't completely remove the old paint, so in the pond a second time. It's now ready for the yellow in the right place this time.

OBTW, for anyone contemplating this kit: it is an original issue, so the decals are quite brittle and fragile. Just be careful.

I hope everyone is staying safe during this crisis.

So, with limited supplies and tools at home I dug out this old Starfire to work on. It had a broken wheel well arch on the passenger side from the previous owner dismantling it. The work I've accomplished is pretty rough but just been using scraps of plastic, superglue, a #11 Xacto and a sanding stick. I started by squaring up the jagged break. Glued pieces in and sanded to a basic shape. Next step will be hitting it with a bit of putty tomorrow.

Later-

IMG_20200329_162123770.jpg

IMG_20200329_155509907.jpg

IMG_20200329_145719986.jpg

IMG_20200329_135616734.jpg

IMG_20200329_162140417.jpg