Model Cars Magazine Forum

What Did You Accomplish Today? (Model Car Work)

After building a few small 'egg planes' I bought a pack of plastic eggs and am trying to scratchbuild one. Here is my first day's attempt!

My recent builds all three flyers are seen as egg planes. The 'New' egg is larger.

photo-th.jpg

photo-th.jpg

photo-th.jpg

All very basic but it's a start!

Spent all day trying to polish the paint on my '66 Mustang street freak. The Krylon Clear gloss fought me all the way. My faithful Wright's Silver Cream got it smooth, but it left a fine "chalky" appearance. I discovered that color-sanding it with #2000 wet and then polishing with Turtle Heavy Duty Polish & Cleaner (the gritty, red stuff) gave a semi-acceptable appearance, but then cleaning with water brought the chalky out again. 

Gonna sleep on it, and then tomorrow I'm gonna see if I can strip off the Krylon with ISO alcohol without stripping the Testor Dark Blue underneath it (or any of the bodywork under that). Then I'll try shooting a few more coats of the Testor Blue, and then polish that. Or maybe clear it with Testor Glosscote. 

So what I accomplished today is, I learned that Krylon Clear Gloss is garbage. :angry: Better to learn it on this simple paint job than on something I had a lot more time and effort (any maybe more rare/expensive color paint) in. Ah shucks oh well. 

The more you look at a model...

The original Jeepster came with a V8 drag option that had fender well headers. The body had the cut outs, and if building it stock you had to glue a portion of the inner fenders in.  This separation line looked natural until I was studying an engine photo and realized it was all one piece.

I tried out the automotive red glazing putty. It went on smooth and easy, dried overnight and sanded quickly, leaving a perfectly flat fender. I primed both vehicles engine bays again and it’s perfect!

3 hours ago, Snake45 said:

The Krylon Clear gloss fought me all the way.

Snake man... Wal-Mart carries a clear from Rustoleum called Acrylic Lacquer Gloss Crystal Clear..... it dries rock hard and VERY clear! You maybe should pick some up and give it a try......

17 minutes ago, JollySipper said:

Snake man... Wal-Mart carries a clear from Rustoleum called Acrylic Lacquer Gloss Crystal Clear..... it dries rock hard and VERY clear! You maybe should pick some up and give it a try......

I go to Walmart on Thursday, I'll look for it. But I've heard bad things about Rustoleum over other paints.....:unsure:

13 hours ago, JollySipper said:

Okay, went to Walmart, they didn't have that. Bought Rustoluem 2X "fast drying" clear gloss. 

Then went to HL, bought two more "little bottles" of the Testor Dark Blue in case I decide to go that way, bought a can of Testor Clear Gloss Lacquer (NOT either Wet Look or Glosscote). The Mustang is soaking in ISO even as we speak, meanwhile I'll airbrush up a couple spoons and see which of the two clears works best, if either of them does. Can always fall back on multiple coats of the blue and polish direct. Gotta get this BOYD project done by the end of the month. :unsure:

Started working on making correctly-shaped '62 Chrysler wheelcovers; cut up two Jo-Han covers to separate the centers and outer rims - will take photos when I get one good master. Also cut away the halves of the broken '62 Newport windshield frame from the vent windows so I can realign, pin and glue them without a dip in the middle.

On 6/9/2020 at 11:41 AM, Snake45 said:

Okay, went to Walmart, they didn't have that. Bought Rustoluem 2X "fast drying" clear gloss. 

Then went to HL, bought two more "little bottles" of the Testor Dark Blue in case I decide to go that way, bought a can of Testor Clear Gloss Lacquer (NOT either Wet Look or Glosscote). The Mustang is soaking in ISO even as we speak, meanwhile I'll airbrush up a couple spoons and see which of the two clears works best, if either of them does. Can always fall back on multiple coats of the blue and polish direct. Gotta get this BOYD project done by the end of the month. :unsure:

Finished cleaning up the Mustang body and hood, and shot another coat of blue. Will repeat tomorrow. 

Did my spoon test of the two clears I bought yesterday on the spoons I airbrushed yesterday with the Testor enamel. The Rustoleum 2X wrinkled up the blue within one minute. :angry: The Testor Lacquer hasn't reacted so far, we'll see what happens. :unsure:

31 minutes ago, Snake45 said:

Did my spoon test of the two clears I bought yesterday on the spoons I airbrushed yesterday with the Testor enamel. The Rustoleum 2X wrinkled up the blue within one minute 

Thank heavens for spoons! And being astute enough to test. I chuckle at the Facebook posts with photos of a body all wrinkled up asking what they did wrong!

21 hours ago, ChrisBcritter said:

Started working on making correctly-shaped '62 Chrysler wheelcovers; cut up two Jo-Han covers to separate the centers and outer rims - will take photos when I get one good master.

Here we go - a lot better than the original, at least to me, and (with a bit more tweaking) closer to the real thing:

IMG_0209.JPG.b004c07c430ef437a0d3b11a270530bd.JPG

414739279_62-ChryslerWheel-Cover.jpg.f10bc9a1925fbaa0b11c15074e89a60b.jpg

It doesn't warrant a WIP thread, but tonight I resurrected this long-term project:

4793854617_5b0cd1b231_c.jpg

1:24 Fujimi Nissan Fairlady Roadster by Spottedlaurel, on Flickr

Started it back in 2007. It got further than this, with detail painting done and more parts attached, but then my daughter (then aged about 7-8) unfortunately knocked it onto the floor.....

49995622543_2b25e16461_b.jpg

1:24 Fujimi Nissan Fairlady Roadster by Spottedlaurel, on Flickr

It was so long ago I'd forgotten what I'd done, but it appears that I started to repair the damaged areas. I've now sanded down the filler and I'll repaint the bonnet and front corners (don't have enough paint for a complete stripdown and respray).

Laid a couple more coats of color on the Mustang. Had to open a second "little bottle" of Testor Dark Blue to drive on. (Which means it already has a full bottle on it! :blink: ) 

That should be enough. Will let it dry a day or two and then decide if I want to try to polish the paint out, or start laying on the Testor Clear Gloss Lacquer (two coats of which look just FABULOUS on my spoon test). 

Meanwhile, I really think my old Badger 350 airbrush is on its very last legs. Checked prices and accessory availability on the net today, and will probably order a new one tomorrow. I almost feel like I'm contemplating putting down the family pet. :unsure:

We spend so much time on tiny little details!

01C6E4DB-F4AE-4B4F-9A20-968776AD71C2.jpeg.b15f4be8e28db14dba0580f7aca829d3.jpeg

The Jeepster comes with a V6 and I wanted to use a base 4 in one of the two I’m building. Here’s the 4 from the Dukes of Hazard Jeep sitting on the Jeepster chassis. Had to make motor and trans mounts. 

Now I’m making an exhaust system for it. 

13 hours ago, Snake45 said:

Meanwhile, I really think my old Badger 350 airbrush is on its very last legs.

Have you considered sending it back to Badger? I recently sent them my old 200. It cost me $16 for return postage, and they completely rebuilt it.

1 hour ago, Kit Basher said:

Have you considered sending it back to Badger? I recently sent them my old 200. It cost me $16 for return postage, and they completely rebuilt it.

Nah, it's like a gun that's shot 100,000 rounds or a car that's gone 500,000 miles--it's given honorable service far above its purchase price and has earned an honorable retirement. B)

I attempted a repair on the Fairlady Roadster, it didn't work out so.......

image.jpeg.80a387fd7de233213d8a7d7a9f8affe8.jpeg

Into the bath of brake fluid it goes.

image.jpeg.f55784f1e30e5aca41ed9f848d3717a6.jpeg

I just hope I can buy that colour of paint again - the floor pan and underbonnet areas have all been painted the same colour. Anyone know of a source or a match for Tetrosyl Pastel Blue?......

Pulling Saturday work duty. I knew not much would be  happening so I brought a Ferrari Enzo snap kit to work on.Alas, I was hoping to make more progress than I did. I saw that the nose piece, the outside mirrors, and two body side pieces are a distinctly different shade of red than the rest of the body so now I'll have to paint the body assembly later on.

77D38F4B-3D1C-4233-8CA6-C6C4887AD82E.jpeg.b9e40106d252cdcf611cdfb9654822f8.jpeg

Never leave we’ll enough alone! For the Jeepster pickup, the bed is flat with no detail but the real vehicle has ribs like this one. Then discovered the bed was too short, the way the kit was done. 

Take two was creating the bed liner the proper length from Evergreen ribbed sheet. I had done the beds in my Trabant and Dodge Caravan vans with this. Then I just wasn’t feeling it.. 

So I separated the bed from the cab and decided to add the length and do the proper ribs. The kit bed just doesn’t look right and has gaps so I’m pretty much building a box insert.  So much for a quick easy project!

AA2A98A2-7CFE-47AE-A071-8CC333B9D0C1.jpeg.a45d576f5fba76b0c43f95c0772f7d87.jpeg

Got the last tweak done on the '62 Chrysler wheelcover; used Bondic to fill/blend the center and touch up a couple gaps at the rim, added the back with the mounting ring and now it's in the pressure pot for the first mold.

Also pinned, braced and glued the Chrysler's broken windshield header back together straight; a little trimming once it's dry and then it can be reattached to the A-pillars.

Now to figure a way to straighten those upward-curved front fender spears... also need to make a vacuform master for the windshield (and find someone to vacuform it).

Just laid the fifth coat of Testor Clear Gloss Lacquer on the Mustang. Seems to be clear and shiny. Will let it dry out 24 hours and then see if there's enough on there to polish out yet. Feels like I've used more than half the can already so I'm hoping I don't need any more. We'll see what happens. Fingers crossed, knock wood, and all that. :unsure:

44 minutes ago, JollySipper said:

I'm sorry that the Rustoleum clear didn't work out for you, Snake...... You can still use it, just not over enamels apparently.........

I have a giant can of a nice Rustoleum metallic blue I'm gonna use on something eventually. Maybe it'll play nice with that. 

Meanwhile, I'd like to repeat that the Rustoleum clear I bought was NOT the stuff you recommended. They didn't have that stuff, so I tried something else, which didn't work out.