Model Cars Magazine Forum

What Did You Accomplish Today? (Model Car Work)

3 hours ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

I cleaned the cobwebs and plastic shavings off the bench, put some tools and parts away, and set out the next sub-assemblies I need to address.

Gotta start somewhere. Maybe I can do a little actual "modeling" this evening.   B)

Outstanding news!  Which project will be getting your attention?  Always enjoy seeing your work Ace!

I'''m liking house of kolor paints. I went a bit heavy with this one but it was my first time using them so i figured if i went heavier i had more chance of even coverage. this isn't photoshopped, thats just my camera struggling with the paint i think. I hope to get pics in the sun once its polished and foiled (not going to be fun, my paints very thick). Theres probably 4 heavy coats of clear on this and i forgot to mark the shut lines so i need to figure out something for that so any suggestions that dont involve stripping the paint would be welcomed. something like use a 4b pencil after final polish maybe?

DSC06004.JPG

Began dismantling the '62 Newport; a lot of gentle photoetch sawing to get the hood off and more to get the chassis loose at the front. Two of the wheelcovers are in good enough shape to fix up and cast.

Then pulled the new mold for the '58 Ford top boot out of the mold box and poured the first resin copy; into the pressure pot it went and we'll see what happens.

Polished out some paint and got it pretty shiny...then wasn’t ultimately pleased with it and put it in the naughty-tank for another go around 

4A12412B-D38C-457C-A7D5-E881C36ED783.thumb.jpeg.98503b495c2033e7b95fcdab5d1b77bc.jpeg

Ohh, and made some moulds to cast some little bits that I couldn’t justify buying multiple kits just to get multiples of...I’m still learning with mould making, and I’m not getting AMAZING results but I’m getting usable results anyway so I’ll take it!

1 hour ago, CabDriver said:

Polished out some paint and got it pretty shiny...then wasn’t ultimately pleased with it and put it in the naughty-tank for another go around 

4A12412B-D38C-457C-A7D5-E881C36ED783.thumb.jpeg.98503b495c2033e7b95fcdab5d1b77bc.jpeg

Ohh, and made some moulds to cast some little bits that I couldn’t justify buying multiple kits just to get multiples of...I’m still learning with mould making, and I’m not getting AMAZING results but I’m getting usable results anyway so I’ll take it!

Looks awesome, Jim!

Worked more on the Newport(s); got the interior out of the tan one (popping a hole in the trunklid as I did so <_<), and pulled out the purple Metalflake one I got from Tom Piagari to compare and inventory the parts. So far I have almost enough for two complete cars if I cast up some bits and make a vacuform buck for another windshield.

If anyone's so inclined, I did a little checking against the Jo-Han 300: The windshields don't interchange (Revell is at least 1/16" narrower at the top) but transplanting the complete 300 roof and glass looks doable if you want a Newport hardtop. Vent windows are the same height.

One more Revell hint: Cut a 1/16" notch in the top of the front bumper where it mates to the body, otherwise it sticks out too far and won't align with the wheel openings.

This is juuuust in case Atlantis does indeed reissue the Revell kit (they have the molds).

Edited by ChrisBcritter

Took my faithful old Badger 350 (using it nearly 40 years) apart and gave it a good cleaning. Haven't had it apart for probably a couple years, so it was overdue. 

I think the poor old thing is just about worn out. But I can't complain, have certainly gotten my $30 worth out of it. 

Couple years ago at Hobby Lobby I bought a cheap Paasche-labeled airbrush that looks to be a Chinese copy of the Badger 350. Might be time to break that thing out and break it in. 

A Hasegawa Hughes 300 kit...................

photo-th.jpg

photo-th.jpg

Although an 'Egg Plane' style it's not a snap kit like most of Meng for instance. So need paint, and glue construction, interesting!

Today (04.06.20) finishing up adding decals............

photo-th.jpg

Edited by PatW

20 hours ago, Modlbldr said:

Not only did I finish my 41 Plymouth, but I finally got a coat of clear on my sectioned 49 Ford and the interior assembly started on my VW Cabriolet.

Later-

IMG_20200605_131743578.jpg

IMG_20200605_131753357.jpg

IMG_20200605_131803432.jpg

IMG_20200605_132203058.jpg

I've been watching your VW but you never mentioned the Ford before. I would be interested in what type of masking methods you used. 

The Ford is something that I started a few years ago. I added the headlight buckets from a 57 Ford and sectioned the body about 3/8 inch, IIRC.

The flame mask was from Lazy Modeller and was very simple to work with. Here is a link to a YouTube video.

I forgot when I installed the mask that I had sectioned the body so the mask did not fit the sides as it was designed to.

Later-