Model Cars Magazine Forum

Monogram Chevy Luv Coming soon

disconovaman

6 hours ago, KWT said:

I got a replacement body in the mail this week.

That's really good to hear... Revell kits are among my favorites... I knew they would send a replacement, but that was quick... What's your thoughts on the quality of plastic? I worked on the interior tub getting the bench seat out today... It definitely has a different feel to me...

The feel of the plastic reminds me of the stuff that was used before the manufacturing was shipped-off . The only difference I've noticed between pre-2004 R-M , and the USA-manufactured LUV  ** is the "gauge" of the plastic -- it has a thinner feel to it .

I haven't had any issues so far with my copy , but then again , I haven't started playing with it too much yet .

** Every time I see "LUV" I'm hearing David Johansen sing the opening line to 'Looking For A Kiss' . 

So to chime in - I purchased two of these kits.   One from eBay and there were no issues.  I ordered a second one through my local hobby shop, and that kit, too, has no apparent issues.  The cab is intact with both.  So, maybe you guys got kits from a bad run?  

Of course, I don't know what a "run" actually entails.  :)

Anywho, it looks like a fun, and somewhat whimsical, little kit. 

Any recommendations for a non-V8 engine?

2 hours ago, Jonathan said:

So to chime in - I purchased two of these kits.   One from eBay and there were no issues.  I ordered a second one through my local hobby shop, and that kit, too, has no apparent issues.  The cab is intact with both.  So, maybe you guys got kits from a bad run?  

Of course, I don't know what a "run" actually entails.  :)

Anywho, it looks like a fun, and somewhat whimsical, little kit. 

I used a 1996 4.3 V6. It fit almost perfect. My other choice was the optional 4 cyl from MPC's Fiero kits. 

On 5/4/2020 at 1:06 PM, Rbray47 said:

Years ago I seen one with a Buick GN V6 engine. Monogram's 80's issue is 24th scale so it should be pretty to swap into the luv.  Maybe?

Edited by disconovaman

I'm not sure if there was ever an Isuzu 4 banger kitted for anything. That's what you would need for a true stock build.

But, the Chevy V-8 was such a popular swap, that is not really wrong to have that as the only option.

The Monogram Fiero has a 1/24 scale 2.8 v6, that engine made the rounds in a ton of GM products and even a few non GMs. Early XJ Cherokees could have the GM 2.8 instead of the 4.0 straight six. I had a 2.8 in an 86 Firebird, it was pretty lackluster in such a heavy car but would be fun in a little pickup with a good tune. It will bolt to standard GM transmissions, I believe the Firebird had a 200R4.

On 5/3/2020 at 2:03 AM, disconovaman said:

Got mine and both were intact with no real issues... My only complaint would be the plastic is not as workable as other Revell kits. The plastic kinda reminds me of old monogram kits...

I took my dremal to those dumb fender flares straight out the box. I'll add some styrene strips and some filler to create stock wheelwell openings. That's an easy fix,  I'm gonna refigure the bench seat interior for 1st gen camaro buckets and console, since I know these seats fit the truck peferectly in real life... While I was at it I lopped off the tabs for the side pipes too. 

My build will include modern chevy valve covers and intake, 67 Camaro seats and console, reworked body, and literally any wheels other than what is provided lol!

Time to show some Luv to the Luv! ?

20200501_154335.jpg

Will you be sharing any photos of the build? I'm planning on doing the same thing with the fenders but also make some fender flares like they used back in the 70s.

On 5/6/2020 at 8:23 AM, Fat Brian said:

The Monogram Fiero has a 1/24 scale 2.8 v6, that engine made the rounds in a ton of GM products and even a few non GMs. Early XJ Cherokees could have the GM 2.8 instead of the 4.0 straight six. I had a 2.8 in an 86 Firebird, it was pretty lackluster in such a heavy car but would be fun in a little pickup with a good tune. It will bolt to standard GM transmissions, I believe the Firebird had a 200R4.

I was interested by your mention of your 2.8 Firebird and its lack of performance. You are correct about the performance in that car. When my wife graduated from Sac Stat we got her a new Cavalier Z something with a 5-speed. That thing was a little terror and the front end would break lose if you got on it very hard from a stop. She put well over 100k on it and it was still not using any oil or loss of performance when we sold it. I could hear her coming down the street and she wasn't even on it, sounded like an XK120 Jaguar.   

9 hours ago, espo said:

I was interested by your mention of your 2.8 Firebird and its lack of performance. You are correct about the performance in that car. When my wife graduated from Sac Stat we got her a new Cavalier Z something with a 5-speed. That thing was a little terror and the front end would break lose if you got on it very hard from a stop. She put well over 100k on it and it was still not using any oil or loss of performance when we sold it. I could hear her coming down the street and she wasn't even on it, sounded like an XK120 Jaguar.   

It wasn't awful, it was just not what you want a Firebird to be. The Firebird also has about 1k pounds on the Cavalier and was automatic. It was also about 16 years old with over 250k miles when I had it so it's good years were behind it.

• 2 weeks later...

I recieved mine in the mail recently. My wife surprised me after not being able to find it in the LHS when they reopened. The box is in good shape, so I can't acount for the damaged parts. I submitted a warrantee request from Revell. As soon as I come up with an idea for an engine, and get my replacement parts, I'll get started. I'm going to do a JDM-esque build.

49909234857_4578774524_c.jpg

49909234912_97a8352397_c.jpg

49908933571_ce49f3e7c4_c.jpg

• 1 month later...
On 5/22/2020 at 8:23 AM, alexis said:

Man. that's some Nasty Damage.  I hope Revell takes care of it, for you.

On 5/22/2020 at 8:38 AM, mikemodeler said:

Revell's replacement parts service has been temporarily suspended due to the pandemic. 

I recieved my parts last week. Pretty happy. I will start this one soon.

• 2 months later...

So I've dug into my kit. The reports on the brittle nature of the plastics are not unfounded. You gotta be REAL careful with it. This kit is made for big and little tires. So if you have other plans like I did, a tire that looks proper, in front, will look small in the back, and vice versa, due to the size of the wheel wells. I have obtained a Revellogram Grand National V6 for some engine bay interest. I'll be adding a better looking turbo and I'm still kicking around the intercooler plans. Not sure where to put it for realism. Will be adding a naca duct for air intake to the turbo. That should be a fun hole to cut with this plastic.

Edited by Jantrix

• 2 weeks later...

On 9/3/2020 at 1:52 PM, Jantrix said:

So I've dug into my kit. The reports on the brittle nature of the plastics are not unfounded. You gotta be REAL careful with it. This kit is made for big and little tires. So if you have other plans like I did, a tire that looks proper, in front, will look small in the back, and vice versa, due to the size of the wheel wells. I have obtained a Revellogram Grand National V6 for some engine bay interest. I'll be adding a better looking turbo and I'm still kicking around the intercooler plans. Not sure where to put it for realism. Will be adding a naca duct for air intake to the turbo. That should be a fun hole to cut with this plastic.

Would love to progress pics.   Here's mine, straight from the box.  Well, I worked up some sorry plaid decals for the seats.  But, yeah, completely improbably engine, wheels, etc. - so it seems like a blank canvas to me.  

img-9526_orig.jpg

I seem to remember someone said that the Chevy Luv pickups came with an ISUZU 4 cylinder. If so then another source might be the MPC 1978-80 or so Chevrolet Chevette. If someone can verify but I think the Chevette’s 4 banger is one. If true then once you find one you can then do a resin cast of the parts.

• 4 weeks later...
On 9/15/2020 at 3:15 PM, carnut said:

I seem to remember someone said that the Chevy Luv pickups came with an ISUZU 4 cylinder. If so then another source might be the MPC 1978-80 or so Chevrolet Chevette. If someone can verify but I think the Chevette’s 4 banger is one. If true then once you find one you can then do a resin cast of the parts.

Both are Isuzu G engines, but the Chevette used a OHV 1.4 or 1.6L, and the LUV used a SOHC 2.0L.