Model Cars Magazine Forum

Amt 40 Willy’s pickup gasser

GoodbuildNY

Dave, you've been posting up several models here lately, and there's not a single one of them that we want only one photo of. It's a tease. 

Please post up more than one photo of each build. You do very good work, and we want to see more. 

Edited by Jantrix

On 2/24/2020 at 5:19 PM, GoodbuildNY said:

Ended up narrowing the revell Willy’s pick up bed for this one, IIRC the fenders were from that kit as well, threw in few other parts box items also including amt parts pack blown Pontiac engine6180BD94-B505-4DE3-86D6-E0DE3FEDB2F0.jpeg.d9bcea94f213aa509e7ac5e01316298b.jpeg

What did you do to get the front end and the body to line up? The other pics seem to show the firewall attached without any gaps to the cowl. I was thinking of using some small pieces of styrene angle to do the same on my 49 coupe.

10 hours ago, VW93 said:

What did you do to get the front end and the body to line up? The other pics seem to show the firewall attached without any gaps to the cowl. I was thinking of using some small pieces of styrene angle to do the same on my 49 coupe.

I didn’t have much of a fit issue with mine in terms of firewall to body so just a little bit of filing and I was ok. With the front hinges I made sure there was a tiny bit of play in them so the nose would settle cleanly onto the body when flipped down.It just takes a little trial and error.

19 minutes ago, GoodbuildNY said:

I didn’t have much of a fit issue with mine in terms of firewall to body so just a little bit of filing and I was ok. With the front hinges I made sure there was a tiny bit of play in them so the nose would settle cleanly onto the body when flipped down.It just takes a little trial and error.

Thanks, yours fit so well and I've got a decent size gap on the bottom of the firewall on both sides. Will have to do a bit more test fitting.

I already filed the hinge bar and caps to open them up a bit. Will just have to see how it all goes together.

5 minutes ago, VW93 said:

Thanks, yours fit so well and I've got a decent size gap on the bottom of the firewall on both sides. Will have to do a bit more test fitting.

I already filed the hinge bar and caps to open them up a bit. Will just have to see how it all goes together.

Do you have a pic of the gap? 

7 minutes ago, GoodbuildNY said:

Do you have a pic of the gap? 

Had it together with Elmers while I was checking the interior fit and how much of the inside firewall  can be seen with the Interior. I'll mock it up again tonight and take one tomorrow and send it to you in a PM. I don't want to clog up your thread

Just now, VW93 said:

Had it together with Elmers while I was checking the interior fit and how much of the inside firewall  can be seen with the Interior. I'll mock it up again tonight and take one tomorrow and send it to you in a PM. I don't want to clog up your thread

If I can see a pic maybe I can help you get it figured out and get it fitting nicely 

• 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 3/4/2020 at 8:21 AM, stevez said:

very very very nice work!!

On 6/21/2020 at 5:06 PM, rustybill1960 said:

Yes, Beautifully done

Great pictures 

Thank You for sharing with Us

On 7/14/2020 at 11:45 AM, Greg Myers said:

Smooth build Dave. Think about some detail on that engine. It isn't hard to do.

On 7/14/2020 at 12:42 PM, TransAmMike said:

And yet another great looking Willys.

On 7/18/2020 at 10:59 AM, BeakDoc said:

Awesome Willys!

On 7/18/2020 at 11:06 AM, crazyjim said:

Fantastic paint.

5 hours ago, NYLIBUD said:

Bad ass looking car

Thank you guys for the compliments. Very much appreciated