Model Cars Magazine Forum

I think we are over due for this one to come back out the 72 chevy

robo37

On 3/24/2020 at 5:50 PM, unclescott58 said:

Even though I too would love to see a modern tool of this generation GM truck. 

Agreed,  IMO, the average model builder is a lot more sophisticated ( and older ) than the average model builder when these models first came out. I would like to see a real frame, suspension and maybe a leaf spring option .  On the interior of the cab,  separate door panels  and a bench seat option.

4 minutes ago, leafsprings said:

Agreed,  IMO, the average model builder is a lot more sophisticated ( and older ) than the average model builder when these models first came out. I would like to see a real frame, suspension and maybe a leaf spring option .  On the interior of the cab,  separate door panels  and a bench seat option.

Again, I'd still be happy with the old one. I've never had any problems with it. 

On 4/10/2020 at 12:43 PM, tonye66 said:

Just like I’m doing here. I’m adding a set of Fireballs rally wheels and some 33”s

1B97D2FE-E0BF-4317-9CA0-8EBDCB2870CD.jpeg

F775EC1A-2C67-4CAC-9103-ACC25C0D8A1C.jpeg

Now that I have the grilles to make a couple of mid 80's Chevy pickups, do you remember how much you added to the frame and where you added it?

That should look great when you get it done! Love those Fireball wheels!

3 hours ago, mikemodeler said:

Now that I have the grilles to make a couple of mid 80's Chevy pickups, do you remember how much you added to the frame and where you added it?

You need to add an inch or just a tad more between the two crossmembers after the floor pan ends and is just the frame rails. Just watch the fuel tank because it runs in the same area. There is a small area between the tank and the front rear spring perch where you can make the cut. You also need to add about a quarter to 3/8 of an inch to the end of the frame with the little step down to mount the bumper.

OK, to bring this back to the topic of the earlier trucks ,,,

I've been tinkering with some of the '70/'72 cab parts  and the built chassis from a Revell  '65 chassis I have.

Check out the fit after just clipping a bit off the front of the frame rails. Looks like they were made for each other. Even the engine is right where it should be. 

You could just build it like this or address the inaccurate inner fenders. Either way, it's an easy swap.

IMG 2659

IMG 2660

IMG 2661

I think this will be my next project after the Grand Prix is finished.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, mikemodeler said:

I added 7/8” just between the back edge of the fuel tank and ahead of the front spring perch. 

If Round 2 is going to do any reissuing of this old hat, this has GOT TO BE THEEE one that they do!!!

IMG_20161224_224026.jpg.aef414a0e5632a565483df5a3a1da0c3.jpg

Include the fleetside bed and put it in this Retro Box art and I'd be stoked about this one!

We all know that all the tooling still exists for this setup, so why they haven't brought this back out is beyond me.

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/12/2020 at 12:43 PM, Can-Con said:

OK, to bring this back to the topic of the earlier trucks ,,,

I've been tinkering with some of the '70/'72 cab parts  and the built chassis from a Revell  '65 chassis I have.

Check out the fit after just clipping a bit off the front of the frame rails. Looks like they were made for each other. Even the engine is right where it should be. 

You could just build it like this or address the inaccurate inner fenders. Either way, it's an easy swap.

IMG 2660

I think this will be my next project after the Grand Prix is finished.

Well that's just great. After seeing this, I now have to add project 1297 to the mental list of future projects, using the GMC stepside. Thanks ?

• 3 weeks later...

The '72 Chevy Pickup was the first kit I bought when I got back into the hobby in 2006 (?)  I'd sure like to see it reissued. While I've got a few of the 67-72 kits in pieces from the first issues, I'd love to have all new plastic. 

On 4/19/2020 at 4:04 PM, Oldcarfan27 said:

If Round 2 is going to do any reissuing of this old hat, this has GOT TO BE THEEE one that they do!!!

IMG_20161224_224026.jpg.aef414a0e5632a565483df5a3a1da0c3.jpg

Include the fleetside bed and put it in this Retro Box art and I'd be stoked about this one!

We all know that all the tooling still exists for this setup, so why they haven't brought this back out is beyond me.

About the only thing you wouldn’t get is the correct Open Road cab, as it was the 67-68 type which was updated to the 72 . But I totally could live with that. Prices on even the model king release are in the stratosphere

Just now, Dale Gribble said:

About the only thing you wouldn’t get is the correct Open Road cab, as it was the 67-68 type which was updated to the 72 . But I totally could live with that. Prices on even the model king release are in the stratosphere

Me too! Small airbrushing to update the cab and hubcaps on the box and you're good to go. 

Even better if they could find the GMC cab. But I'm not picky.

6 minutes ago, Oldcarfan27 said:

Me too! Small airbrushing to update the cab and hubcaps on the box and you're good to go. 

I’d be in for a case or two just for building , dioramas , etc .

2 hours ago, Dale Gribble said:

Mine says 1969 on the bumpers.  Looks like it could be.  Definitely not a 67

SAM_2156.JPG

6 hours ago, Oldcarfan27 said:

The GMC cab is not hard to find. It's now the '72 Chevy cab. ?

33 minutes ago, Can-Con said:

The GMC cab is not hard to find. It's now the '72 Chevy cab. ?

I don't think it is. Wasn't the last issue of the GMC (with custom wheels, Gatorbacks and mirrors) around the same time as the Chevy? I always figured they used the MPC cab, chassis plate and their GMC bed to make the '72 Chevy long bed and how the GMC came to be a short stepside. It would be interesting to compare the three cabs. 

16 hours ago, Plowboy said:

I don't think it is. Wasn't the last issue of the GMC (with custom wheels, Gatorbacks and mirrors) around the same time as the Chevy? I always figured they used the MPC cab, chassis plate and their GMC bed to make the '72 Chevy long bed and how the GMC came to be a short stepside. It would be interesting to compare the three cabs. 

Nope. That issue of the GMC was out in 1990.  The Chevy didn't show up until the end of the '90s or early '00s. 

I do have the 3 cabs . Aside from the trim, the newer Chevy cab is about identical to the GMC cab, including the mold  misalignment at the bottom of the driver's side door back. The MPC is fine there.

The hoods don't exactly interchange. The GMC hood fits the AMT Chevy , not so well on the MPC cab.  The headliner and sun visor molding is different between the MPC and AMT. with slightly longer, and narrower visors on the AMT.  The GMC matches the AMT Chevy here. 

Not to mention that if they used the MPC as the basis, they wouldn't have had to cut that new '72 grille/bumper for the kit ,,, which is awful compared to the MPC kit, which not only much better rendered, the bumper is also separate from the grille.

I'm pretty sure the box is new tooling cut for this truck. [but I don't have an older one for comparison] If you compare it to the cabs, the side contours don't match either cab.  It's dished in more just above the character line. I had to do some careful filling to get it to match the contour of the cab side. 

They SHOULD have used the MPC kit for the  reissue. It would have been a lot less work for them and have a better kit. Just thinking about it now, I can't really think of anything they might have used out of the MPC kit on the newer one. 

But, anyway, Tom Carter has also told me that it was mostly the GMC that got the torch to make the '72 Chevy so there's that.

PS, I just cracked open my last unbuilt '72 longbed to do this comparison ?

Edited by Can-Con

6 hours ago, Can-Con said:

I do have the 3 cabs . Aside from the trim, the newer Chevy cab is about identical to the GMC cab, including the mold  misalignment at the bottom of the driver's side door back. The MPC is fine there.

The hoods don't exactly interchange. The GMC hood fits the AMT Chevy , not so well on the MPC cab.  The headliner and sun visor molding is different between the MPC and AMT. with slightly longer, and narrower visors on the AMT.  The GMC matches the AMT Chevy here. 

The MPC kit has the same issue behind the driver's door.

20200118_165653-1.jpg.5c7569ee8eb0b80660f19386deb8b663.jpg

20200407_183657-1.jpg.d7226760e3e2728835e527d985f47ae7.jpg

The GMC hood doesn't fit the GMC cab very well at all. I had to add styrene on both sides to get a decent panel gap when I built that kit.

If the GMC short bed came out before the Chevy, I don't see AMT going back and making the frame longer after they had made it short.

Then, there's also the issue that the GMC cab didn't have the trim that the Chevy does. The marker lights are also different. It doesn't make sense that they would make all of those changes to the GMC cab when they already had the exact cab they needed with the MPC cab.

Plus, they would have also had to change the hood. The front of the GMC hood is more upright and had the letters that would have had to be removed. 

What about the interior tubs Steve? How do they compare?    

Edited by Plowboy

22 minutes ago, Plowboy said:

The MPC kit has the same issue behind the driver's door.

20200118_165653-1.jpg.5c7569ee8eb0b80660f19386deb8b663.jpg

20200407_183657-1.jpg.d7226760e3e2728835e527d985f47ae7.jpg

The GMC hood doesn't fit the GMC cab very well at all. I had to add styrene on both sides to get a decent panel gap when I built that kit.

If the GMC short bed came out before the Chevy, I don't see AMT going back and making the frame longer after they had made it short.

Then, there's also the issue that the GMC cab didn't have the trim that the Chevy does. The marker lights are also different. It doesn't make sense that they would make all of those changes to the GMC cab when they already had the exact cab they needed with the MPC cab.

Plus, they would have also had to change the hood. The front of the GMC hood is more upright and had the letters that would have had to be removed. 

What about the interior tubs Steve? How do they compare?    

The area of the cab I meant is the bottom corner.  I didn't look close at the interior. I will tomorrow if I have time.  No, the GMC hood dosen't fit well in it's cab but it's a worse fit in the MPC cab. It drops right down into the opening and there's quite a gap all around. 

I know what I'm saying doesn't really make much sense but , , ,  

I'll have to take some pics for you. I'm having some plumbing troubles right now and I'll have to have a real plumber in tomorrow to snake out a line so I'll see about that after all the home owner drama is worked out. ?

9 hours ago, Can-Con said:

The area of the cab I meant is the bottom corner.  I didn't look close at the interior. I will tomorrow if I have time.  No, the GMC hood dosen't fit well in it's cab but it's a worse fit in the MPC cab. It drops right down into the opening and there's quite a gap all around. 

I know what I'm saying doesn't really make much sense but , , ,  

I'll have to take some pics for you. I'm having some plumbing troubles right now and I'll have to have a real plumber in tomorrow to snake out a line so I'll see about that after all the home owner drama is worked out. ?

The cab corner is messed up on the MPC kit too. It sticks out past the door. Last night, I located my  built '72 Chevy that's been in a box for almost twenty years. It definitely is the old GMC cab. I had forgot what the grille looked like. It's not even close compared to the MPC grille. Still, it makes me wonder why? 

Every time the '72 Chevy subject comes up, I'm like, yeah I need one! But, then I remember that I have a '68 in the stash and I realize that I really don't need one. I can't believe what these kits are commanding currently! 

42 minutes ago, Jack L said:

was the 67-68 the only ones with the standard gauge  package

This is the '68 dash. 

20200602_101753-1.jpg.e131249212043435b8a6cbf1eb13c969.jpg

This is the rest of it. 

20200602_103415-1.jpg.c3e856f863db9788e256077d77f8fce1.jpg

I keep putting off hacking it up thinking I'll come across one that's in a little rougher shape. But, when I do, they go for way more than I'm willing to give.  

Edited by Plowboy