Model Cars Magazine Forum

Favorite method for decanting spray cans?

I'm going to do a video sometime with my method. It involves using a valve for tapping into a water line to hook to a refrigerator and short length of copper tubing and two hose clamps. It's been discussed on this forum, I think.

I bought a bunch of large plastic straws at the Dollar Store. They are close to 1/2”  diameter. I cut them in half and spray into it with the other end held in the paint jar. I used to spray into a funnel but then I had to clean it. The straws I just toss.   I don’t necessarily wait for it to outgas either. I figure...where would that gas be if I was spraying it directly on the model?

Edited by NOBLNG

I've been doing this way for years without any problems, put a small pin hole at the top of the can, once the gas has escaped, cut the top off and left to de-gas for about 30 minutes, then pour the contents into a glass bottle.

FB_IMG_1585735467496.jpg

FB_IMG_1585735472541.jpg

FB_IMG_1585735475798.jpg

9 hours ago, 935k3 said:

Spray right into jar by regulating trigger pressure and holding jar at an angle.

The same way I've been doing it for years. Just have to know when to stop. Before it starts to splash out.

17 hours ago, 2zwudz said:

What method do you like best for decanting spray cans?

I know you're a newbie, but you're asking questions that have already been answered numerous times. You might want to do some research before you ask your next question. Here's a start

http://www.modelcarsmag.com/forums/topic/79627-how-do-i-search-for-answers-already-posted-here/

21 hours ago, Miatatom said:

I'm going to do a video sometime with my method. It involves using a valve for tapping into a water line to hook to a refrigerator and short length of copper tubing and two hose clamps. It's been discussed on this forum, I think.

This is the method I use. Have never had an issue with removing the paint from the can. I don't bother with the tubing, but use the valve to slowly release the pressure, and pour the paint into a container after opening the can.

P7224924.JPG

I've been decanting paint from spray cans for many years simply by warming up the can in warm water, shaking it and spraying on model car bodies and parts. This method works great for me, as I get really nice finishes with metallics, candies, solids, clears, etc. Even works great when painting two and three tone paint jobs as well. No mess, no fuss, no adjustments, no water traps, no noisy compressor, no air pressure or needle problems, etc.

45 minutes ago, High octane said:

No mess, no fuss, no adjustments, no water traps, no noisy compressor, no air pressure or needle problems, etc.

. . . no control of the paint viscosity, nozzle opening size, or air pressure.  Once I got an airbrush, I never looked back.  I still use spray cans for some jobs around the house or car.  But whatever works for you Nick.

There will always be 2 kinds of modelers in this world: ones who use airbrushes and ones who don''t.  Just like there are people who go through life eating hamburgers without ever trying a nice steak.

Just giving you hard time Nick - like I said  "whatever works for you".

8 hours ago, peteski said:

. . . no control of the paint viscosity, nozzle opening size, or air pressure.  Once I got an airbrush, I never looked back.  I still use spray cans for some jobs around the house or car.  But whatever works for you Nick.

There will always be 2 kinds of modelers in this world: ones who use airbrushes and ones who don''t.  Just like there are people who go through life eating hamburgers without ever trying a nice steak.

Or putting ketchup on a hotdog   

12 hours ago, peteski said:

I for one enjoy a really good hamburger almost as much as a nice steak.

21 hours ago, BigTallDad said:

I know you're a newbie, but you're asking questions that have already been answered numerous times. You might want to do some research before you ask your next question. Here's a start

http://www.modelcarsmag.com/forums/topic/79627-how-do-i-search-for-answers-already-posted-here/

I know you’ve seen here for some time, but your not the forum police. 

2 hours ago, James2 said:

I know you’ve seen here for some time, but your not the forum police. 

Thank you!! I’ve never seen him help anyone since I’ve been here!

Edited by 2zwudz

9 hours ago, Mike 1017 said:

Or putting ketchup on a hotdog   

LOL!

I actually like (brown) mustard, onions, sauerkraut, and . . . ketchup.  Chili dogs (no cheese) with onions also work for me.

Edited by peteski

47 minutes ago, peteski said:

Wow, this social separation, and being stuck at home is certainly making us all really edgy, and angry!  We all seem to have "problem socially" nowadays.

BTW, I agree with Ray's sentiment - look it up before asking - you will likely find the answer.  Mark, you are perfect example of a new member who could benefit from a little forum search before asking for something.  There!  I said it!  Kill me now!

Most of the time I do. This time I didn’t! ????. Its still good to ask questions and build relationships.

Edited by 2zwudz

On April 1, 2020 at 10:49 PM, High octane said:

I've been decanting paint from spray cans for many years simply by warming up the can in warm water, shaking it and spraying on model car bodies and parts. This method works great for me, as I get really nice finishes with metallics, candies, solids, clears, etc. Even works great when painting two and three tone paint jobs as well. No mess, no fuss, no adjustments, no water traps, no noisy compressor, no air pressure or needle problems, etc.

This method has worked the best for me also Nick!

1 hour ago, 2zwudz said:

How long do you soak the can in warm water???

I use a pot with warm water in it, put the can in it and cover it in case of an explosion, which has never happened to me. I set a timer for about 6 minutes and then remove the can, dry it, shake it, and spray. If I need another coat or two I repeat the process with 20 minute intervals. Other guys may do this differently but this is how I do it and it seems to work. Remember it is warm water and not extremely hot wimage.png.1e72eac40af7a30505d2fa9fae9dfb51.pngater. PIC....................................................................

On 4/1/2020 at 6:38 PM, 64Comet404 said:

This is the method I use. Have never had an issue with removing the paint from the can. I don't bother with the tubing, but use the valve to slowly release the pressure, and pour the paint into a container after opening the can.

P7224924.JPG

I've used a similar process.  I machined this piece some time ago and it is less hassle than all the clamps and valve.  I can also make the hole large enough to get a pipet of thinner in and flush out all the paint.  I generally punch two holes.  One as close to the bottom as possible to get all the paint out and one near the top to vent it and let the paint flow out smoothly.  I can also cover the top hole with my finger and control the flow. 

IMG_20200403_091804[1].jpg

IMG_20200403_091836[1].jpg